Forum Index > Food & Grub > Recipes using dried coconut milk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 10:53 am 
Suggestions? I tend to work from Knorr Sides or similar and sex them up, or put meals together from both home-dried and store-bought ingredients. Also, has anyone tried dehydrating curry paste?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 12:05 pm 
Curry paste is very shelf stable (as long as it is authentic and doesn't have anything else added such as coconut milk). Just bag and carry. As my old boss would have said...."none of these things are ever kept cold in Thailand!" I use coconut cream powder in plenty of recipes. You can sub it in almost any recipe that calls for dry milk.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 12:09 pm 
Not at all worried about shelf stability. See question above.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 12:10 pm 
It will dry to a point - but often has an oily texture. If you do dry it be sure to use parchment paper. It will stain the trays badly.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 12:51 pm 
Allison wrote:
Also, has anyone tried dehydrating curry paste?
I've tried drying a ready-to-eat curry (from a can) and all it did was make a big mess. Curried Rice From One Pan Wonders Serves 1. Serves 2 if you add a foil pack of chicken or tofu. 1 cup instant rice ½ tablespoon curry powder 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes ¼ tablespoon sugar ½ tablespoon chicken or vegetable bouillon 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric salt to taste 3 tablespoons cashews, chopped (optional) At home: combine everything in a zip locking plastic bag. If you are bringing a foil pack of chicken, carry that separately. In camp: bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add rice mix and simmer for about 1-2 minutes or until the rice is tender. Serve topped with chopped cashews. As for the coconut creme powder? It's good in lots of stuff. Try it in your oatmeal, hot chocolate or with powdered peanut sauce (taste of thai brand)

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 12:53 pm 
And a breakfast recipe that uses the coconut creme powder: Pina Colada Rice Serves 1 1/4 cup instant rice 1 tablespoon coconut creme powder 1/2 pineapple ring, chopped 1 tablespoon cashews, chopped 1 tablespoon golden raisins 1 teaspoon powdered milk 1 packet honey At home: combine everything except the honey in a zip locking plastic bag. Carry that separately. In camp: add enough water to cover. Let stand until rice is tender. Top with honey and serve warm.

opqdan

opqdan
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 4:25 pm 
Taste of Thai makes small packets of Coconut Ginger Soup mix that, while not dehydrated, are an incredibly concentrated paste. Each packet holds maybe 1.5 teaspoons of paste, so they don't weigh a whole lot. 1 packet Coconut Ginger Soup Base 1 pouch dried coconut powder 2 packets chicken broth concentrate (or enough bouillon for 2 cups) 1 pouch chicken, or equiv. freeze dried chicken dried shitake mushrooms I add 2 cups boiling water and let it sit to hydrate the chicken and mushrooms, then add another cup or 2 of boiling water to bring the temp back up and finish it off. It makes a passable Tom Kha Gai that's probably better than half of the Thai restaurants I've been to. Great on the trail for a nice salty, spicy, lemony way of re-hydrating. I make my own homemade curry paste (green) and I've been playing around with the idea of modifying it into a powder. I make a ton at a time and freeze it in 1/2c portions, so it takes a while to run out. When I make it again, I'll give it a try.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jul 20, 2010 5:20 pm 
Thanks op, I printed that one out to add to my notebook. up.gif