Forum Index > Food & Grub > vacuum sealers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cody s

Cody s
PostFri Dec 03, 2010 4:59 pm 
I am trying to reproduce some of those very expensive MRE's (backpacker's pantry, Mountain house) and I have it down pretty good except the packaging. I am looking for a vacuum sealer that I can package foods and just add boiling water to, but I am not sure which sealer would work best. I want one that the bags can hold boiling water and still be able to eat out of. It's quick easy and clean, my kind of meal. Any ideas would help. Thanks, Cody

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 12:01 am 
Foodsaver bags from Costco "FoodSaver Bags and Rolls work with all major vacuum sealer brands." "FoodSaver® Bags and Rolls are safe to freeze, simmer or microwave" I use these for all my hiking food, to reduce smells. I got the sealer mechanism at a garage sale for $10. biggrin.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 1:39 am 
Anyone ever try to cook salmon sous vide in the backcountry? smile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 7:54 pm 
Cody, Food Vac is what I use for long term storage of FBC meals (tha tis FBC=freezer bag cooking). Costco is where I get my supplies. But having said that....go down to Cabelas in Lacey - they carry a vast assortment of bags and machines if you really want to get into it.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 8:31 pm 
The line you want to look at is the Tilia Foodsavers. There are many to choose from from within that line. Accept no substitutes.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 8:34 pm 
http://www.foodsaver.com/Index.aspx Tilla is the brand sold at Costco (and that is their site above).

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 8:59 pm 
ditto.gif They have a coupon (~$40) for it once or twice a year. It's amazing to have real pre-cooked food in the backcountry. Just drop it in the water and pull it out in a few minutes. You don't even have to vent the bag. Wet food is a bit harder to seal, but it can be done. I guess you could freeze some of the stuff for longer trips.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 10:45 pm 
I've made a lot of my own dehydrated meals now and packed them in various ways. One problem I keep having with vacuum packing is something sharp in the food puncturing the bag while sealing it. I've stopped using pasta with pointed edges but occasionally it still happens. I've got one of the Foodsaver vacs. For short term storage I've just been using Ziploc freezer bags. They'll take boiling water if you're careful about it. For meals with meat (dehydrated hamburger, turkey, etc) I vacuum pack a small portion of it in a little bag and tuck this inside the main bag with the rice/pasta/veggies/spices. If you get creative you can make your own small sealed pouches from the big rolls of larger bags. Just cut out a piece of the roll, making sure you have at least one pre-sealed edge. Then just put all but one of the remaining edges into the sealer of the vacuum, seal them, fill the tiny home-made bag up, and seal the final edge. Works great for little portions you want to keep separate.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Dec 05, 2010 11:08 pm 
Opus, When you pack up rice or pasta in food vac bags line it with a piece of plain paper towel before loading up the dry goods. Works nicely in preventing poke thrus smile.gif

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Dec 06, 2010 10:56 pm 
Good idea! I was using wax paper cut down to size as a liner but a towel would be easier.