Forum Index > Food & Grub > Trout patties?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostWed Feb 16, 2011 6:59 pm 
OK, I like to fish but generally let the little bastards go because a) I feel sorry for them and b) I don't like to eat trout. But today I got to thinking - what if I cooked the trout, took out all this tiny bones, formed it into some kind of breaded patty (think crab cakes) and fried it? That almost sounds yummy - better than those horrid trout fried in a pan anyway. Ever heard of such a thing?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostWed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 pm 
Yes. Croquettes recipes adapted from salmon using trout instead. You can mix in cheese, crackers, spices, oils, etc.....whatever rattles your cage. Very delish dish. Mmmmm... pig.gif

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Feb 16, 2011 8:24 pm 
I haven't, but this is what i would suggest. Poach the trout, separate the flesh. Add bread crumbs, a bit of dried egg and a bit of water and seasonings, mix. Fry.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 16, 2011 10:32 pm 
I suppose the cakes thing could work..and be a lot of work. the best method for trout is wrapped in foil with a slice of lemon and some Johnny's seasoning inside and out, then into the coals for ten minutes (pan friers, larger ones can take a couple more) Unwrap and YUM.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 17, 2011 5:42 am 
ditto.gif ditto.gif I would think trout might be a bit soft for good patties.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Feb 17, 2011 8:31 am 
I've done just what the OP suggested with tinned salmon and it works just fine. Matter of fact, I'd suggest developing a recipe at home using tinned salmon. To that, I'd probably go simple, adding preserved lemon, or lemon zest, dried shallots and dill, and a bit of black pepper. Another option worth trying would be to just add Old Bay for seasoning. I know Brian Curtis does Old Bay on trout with good results.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 18, 2011 10:04 am 
That's a good idea. The canned salmon is dirt cheap at Grocery Outlet, it was $1.59 for a soup sized can last weekend. I'm going to have to find a recipe and try this out. I'm pretty sure what's in that can is the equivalent of salmon sausage, in other words all the scrapings and leftovers from the Giant Salmon Machine at the processing plant (i picture a crazy Willie Wonka type machine belching steam and canning the occasional hapless Oompa Loompa), but that's OK. I likes me my salmons.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Feb 18, 2011 10:07 am 
Possibly true, but if it's from AK, you know it's not farmed at least. Salmon farming=illegal in AK. Viva! biggrin.gif o/t, Chris, the canned salmon is good as ac replacement for the tuna in tuna casserole. chow.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 18, 2011 10:17 am 
Yup, I've been eating it for lunch a lot, just straight with a sqeeze of lemon juice. No carbs, tons of protein, fatty but it's the good fat.

onemoremile

onemoremile
PostFri Feb 18, 2011 12:08 pm 
Just because a fish isn't from a farm doesn't make it truly wild. They can label it as such though. Many of the wild Alaskan salmon are actually hatchery fish from: Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Alaska, Russia, and I think Japan. All these places release them where they want them to return and the little salmon make a mad dash to the North Pacific (Alaska) for a few years. I recently read that there are more salmon out there now (due to hatcheries) than there have been at any time in history. The hatchery fish are out competing with the actual wild fish.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Feb 18, 2011 12:39 pm 
Let me clarify then: Not raised in pens.