Forum Index > Food & Grub > Bakepacker cooking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
packgoat

packgoat
PostSun Mar 06, 2011 7:56 pm 
For convenience I always used freeze dried foods but when I learned about plastic bag cooking I saved myself a lot of money and got tasty food as well. The Bakepacker consists of an aluminum grid that fits in the bottom of a 3# coffee can, I'm too cheap to buy titanium pots. At seasons end I chuck the pot and use a new one for next year. Of course I use a pot gripper to hang on to the pot. You buy the supermarket meals like Noodles Alfredo or various flavored rice dishes, etc. for about $1. I take them out of their container and transfer them to an open plastic bag, not ziplock. I first write the meal name, the amount of water to be added and cooking time usually 8 to 12 minutes, on the bag. I then put enough water in the pot to cover the grid put the bag in, fold over the bag top, put an aluminum pie plate on top with a rock if windy and get the water to boiling, set my watch and remove after the correct time. The cooking takes a few minutes longer than freeze dried but at 1/4 the cost, who cares? Bakepacker has been around a long time so this has probably been recorded here 10 years ago but I am new to the forum. The booklet that comes with the product lists many foods to cook, my favorite is Irish soda bread. I also find the Duncan Hinds cake mixes to come out very tasty. Baking fresh caught trout in the unit is very good and if you are on a health kick, no fat cooking. I normally have a camp fire in which place 3 or 4 convenient sized rocks to support my pot. When finished I place the blackened pot in a grocery sack to keep the smut off my gear. BTW, on another subject I use a folding fish griller to hold my fish and grill it over an open fire. PS. I used to give cooking instructions at our adult community Ed classes on this. One session I had a fellow who was there specifically to warn of the danger of toxics from the plastic. I thanked him for his concern but pointed out that the off gassing of the plastic in such a short period of time was minuscule. Plus we only do this a dozen times a year that we camp cook. George

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Mar 06, 2011 8:18 pm 
Then I know you will love this: http://www.trailcooking.com/thefauxbaker biggrin.gif PS: There is always one heckler who rants on about plastics. Trust me. They are always the loudest as well shakehead.gif And usually seen sipping a latte out of a plastic tumbler while ranting clown.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message