Forum Index > Partners > July 1st to July 8 Olympics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mepokeu

mepokeu
PostThu Jun 02, 2011 11:28 pm 
Im flying back home and thinking about doing staircase to oneil pass. Spending some time up at the lakes up there and then hiking out enchanted valley. The route is up to changes, but the dates aren't flexible. I tried to do this hike last year but the weather forced a change of plans. brandon

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Benzee

Benzee
PostWed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 am 
Hey Brandon, I"m planning to hike the East Fork Quinault River to Enchanted Valley July 5 - 7. My original thought is to spend one night on the way in, one night in the valley, then hike out the next day. What do you think? Cheers, Ben

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostWed Jun 15, 2011 8:20 pm 
Sorry to say, but If you're planning to head to O'Neil Pass and the lakes in LaCrosse Basin from Staircase in the first week of July, you're likely to be dealing with a lot of snow. The ONP trail condition report has a hiker report from about a week ago that the N. Fork Skok trail is snow-free to Camp Pleasant (about 1500 feet), but no report beyond. The nearest Snotel is at Buckinghorse, which is only about 6 air-miles from O'Neil Pass. The Buckinghorse Snotel is at 4870 feet elevation, and O'Neil Pass is at 4981 and Hart Lake is at 4865. Snow depth at the Buckinghorse Snotel was 147 inches on June 1, 2011. Since then, it appears the snow-depth sensor has stopped working, but it seems pretty likely that there will be a lot of snow-covered trail on First Divide, and heading up toward Marmot Lake, and in LaCrosse Basin as well in the first week of July. I'd be surprised if the lakes have melted out by then. A 6/11/11 ONP trail report states the E Fork Quinault trail is snow covered above White Creek (elev. 2900'). 6' of snow at the O'neil Pass Junction (elev. 3,200') with lots of avalanche activity above. Route finding skills are needed, per ONP. Maybe if we got a bunch of hot weather between now and July things would be better, but snow-melting heat hasn't been in the picture very much so far. Maybe the possibility of a bunch of snow is no problem for you, but if you've been away from the area, thought you might want to know what it's looking like for snow conditions. I'm up in the air about a multi-day Ollympic trip in mid July due to snow considerations.

mepokeu

mepokeu
PostMon Jun 20, 2011 7:23 pm 
Ancient Ambler, You are correct. I was just discussing this with my dad (my ride to and from) and it looks like either ill have to spend my time in the valley or come up with another idea. Ben, My problem is im flying in from South Korea. My car is in storage and will be until i officially move back to the USA. So im dependent on my dad for ride to and from. Currently its looking like me and my dad are camping at slide camp July 2 and doing some fishing. Then he is going home and i will be on my own until the following saturday. He can only drop me off and pick me up on saturdays do to his work schedule