Forum Index > Partners > Club Leader Requirements for First Aid
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...
PostFri Jun 10, 2011 8:10 am 
Folks, I know there are various organizations represented here at NWHikers including the Mountaineers, Washington Alpine Club, the Bushwhacker Climbing Club and the Boeing Alpine Club (Boealps). In regards to leading outings and instructing classes, what requirements are there in these clubs in regards to first aid? In order to lead an outing in the Mountaineers, is there a required certification level? What about instructing a class (such as "Basic Rock Climbing")? What about the other clubs? Do the certifications have to be RENEWED or is there a policy regarding renewal (such as do a one day practice every couple years without an official renewal)? I'm trying to figure out what all the clubs do as far as First Aid requirements for leaders and instructors. Thanks a ton for your input!!!! Cale

Cale Hoopes caledh@gmail.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostFri Jun 10, 2011 9:02 am 
Here's what I know about the Mountaineers... For the purposes of this discussion we have 3 "levels" of trips... Hikes, Scrambles, and Climbs. To become a Hike Leader, wilderness first aid certification is NOT required. Mountaineers Scrambling and Climbing students are required to do a WFA-level certification in order to finish these courses. Mountaineers Scramble Leaders and Climb Leaders and people instructing at these courses would have already completed these courses so they'd have to already have WFA. The certification needs to be renewed. It is my understanding that this is an often overlooked requirement, but I've only been in the club <2 years so that's just hearsay.

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...
PostFri Jun 10, 2011 10:13 am 
I'm assuming WFA = Wilderness First Aid This is the class based on the NOLS certification, correct? Oh, and thanks for the quick reply!!! smile.gif

Cale Hoopes caledh@gmail.com
SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostFri Jun 10, 2011 10:26 am 
Yeah WFA = Wilderness First Aid By WFA-level ... I meant a wilderness first aid class with roughly 16 hours of instruction. As opposed to a WFR class which would be more time consuming. Currently many Mountaineers students take the WFA course offered by Remote Medical International at the Mountaineers clubhouse ( http://www.remotemedical.com/wilderness-medicine-training/Wilderness-First-Aid-WFA ) . Historically, the Mountaineers first-aid requirement was typically fulfilled with their "MOFA" course, which was taught by fellow Mountaineers.