Forum Index > Partners > Hiking with dogs?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dogswearhalos

dogswearhalos
PostSat Nov 26, 2011 12:43 pm 
Hello, I would like to start hiking in the Snohomish County Area. I have two dogs and not much hiking experience. smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 26, 2011 2:10 pm 
You have our permission. embarassedlaugh.gif My advice is to start off by going with a more-experienced person. They can give you important tips about what to wear, how to recognize areas that are safe in the winter, find the right kind of hike for your fitness level and experience, etc. At this time of year, I don't want to make any specific recommendations for mountain hikes, because conditions can be dangerous, and can change rapidly with new snow fall, or some melt/freeze cycles, etc. But you might want to visit some places like Wallace Falls State Park (Discover pass needed), the Lime Kiln trail, or maybe hike the closed Suiattle river road.

dogswearhalos

dogswearhalos
PostSat Nov 26, 2011 7:37 pm 
Thank you - smile.gif I have heard of the Lime Kiln trail. Maybe I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

dibsandme

dibsandme
PostSat Nov 26, 2011 9:10 pm 
I hike with an 11 1/2yo dachshund/chihuahua mix every weekend. Head to the Washington Trails Association website (www.wta.org). They have some great recommendations. Personal favorites this time of year include Wallace Falls, Lime Kiln, Old Sauk River, Boulder River, Iron Goat, and Middle Fork of Snoqualmie River. Keep your dogs leashed unless it is posted otherwise. Have fun.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSun Nov 27, 2011 9:09 am 
Another fine place is Lord Hill Park , outside Snohomish http://www.co.snohomish.wa.us/documents/Departments/Parks/maps/lordhill12_10.pdf Close by and has a lot of varied trails. If your dog ( and your dogs wink.gif ) are not in regular work, they need conditioning. This park is close by and easy to get to for long or short trips. A good place to develop map reading skills and to get comfortable in the environment. Consider a class at REI or other such place in hiking basics and routefinding. I find the Day Hiking series produced by The Mountaineers to be very helpful in getting me to trails where I feel safe and can have an enjoyable experience.

dogswearhalos

dogswearhalos
PostMon Nov 28, 2011 9:17 pm 
Thanks everyone! I will check these links out ... I wasn't able to get out this weekend because my dog was sick (ate a stick, my fault I know). Anyway, I had to stay home and make sure she recovered ok. Thanks!! And cute Dachshund btw. My boy is a long, short mix and he turned 12 this year!!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Nov 28, 2011 10:22 pm 
Here's my pup in action:
Here she is almost ten years ago!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Nov 30, 2011 11:16 am 
Demonstrating the dual purpose hat.
Demonstrating the dual purpose hat.
Had to stop at the bottom of the rocks to wiggle toes on the way back.  Problem toes can be a problem.  The Used Dog soon moved into the shade.
Had to stop at the bottom of the rocks to wiggle toes on the way back. Problem toes can be a problem. The Used Dog soon moved into the shade.
The Used Dog is packed, lopsided, and ready for our non stealth work.
The Used Dog is packed, lopsided, and ready for our non stealth work.
We're done!
We're done!
I had to throw a stick.
I had to throw a stick.
We just go. He packs his own water, if there is none to be had, or my water. When we do trail work, I load him up with wedges, files, chains and miscellaneous small stuff. He is well behaved, but packing stuff makes him more so. Just a little bit of weight will slow him down, and that is not a bad thing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities