Forum Index > Partners > New to hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BosnMate

BosnMate
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 10:05 pm 
Hey everyone, I'm new to hiking and new to this site. I was referred to NWH by a co-worker. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a few simple hikes to get started with around Granite Falls to Monroe area. I'm currently out of shape...which is why I want to start hiking. I'd like to get into shape. Also looking for anyone who would like a hiking partner, preferably a beginner like myself. Thank you.

"You can realize your dreams, accomplish you goals, and achieve success......but it means nothing unless you can inspire others to do the same"--Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 10:55 pm 
Welcome to the site. I am pretty familiar with the Mt Loop Hwy area, I suggest The Old Robe trail, The Lime Kiln trail, Heather lake, Lake 22, and one I need to get too, The Boulder river trail west of Darrington.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Mar 11, 2012 11:35 pm 
Boulder River, Old Robe, Lime Kiln defiantly on the to do list for out of shape beginners. Elevation gain is minimal. Heather Lake, and 22 have more elevation gain, might be more challenging despite considered "easy" trails. Also consider, lake 22 can be hazardous in certain winter conditions Don't for get the Centennial trail, and White Horse trail, Lord Hill. Wallace Falls is considered easy, however, some may find the climb adjacent to the falls difficult.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 12:27 am 
Welcome. Follow the "Trip Reports" for a week or so. You'll see a wide variety of outings from hikes you think are right for you now to epic climbs. It's slow this time of year. When the snow melts and the trail heads are accessible the number of reports increases dramatically. From the pictures posted you can get a better idea of what the area is like. It takes a while to get used to how the site works, but it's worth it. For a real treat, try to hook up with someone for a hike in the Teanaway area May - July. Many of those are relatively easy, and you'll be in better shape by then.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 6:37 am 
For easy get out and get going hikes, Lord Hill has plenty of trails and terrain that will get you in condition and teach you how to trust your feet. Finding your balance as you step across over up and down can be vital, particularly when you head up to higher areas where rock is more common Learning how to deal with wet slope, crossing logs, the best way to read and find your way around wet spots.. here is a great place. Many of the open grassy slope areas ( around the middle) have very poor rocky base. This is a great exercise in knowing where to place your feet. print off a map and learn to read it. Plane a route and use the map to guide you there. http://www.co.snohomish.wa.us/documents/Departments/Parks/maps/lordhill12_10.pdf with increasing day light in the afternoons, this can be an easy after work exercise.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 am 
We did Lime Kiln Trail yesterday; it's a good primer for western Washington trail condition - very muddy right now, and a couple of small mudslides to go around. up.gif Check wta.org and see what other people are doing, and that will give ideas. On their trip reports, there's a link to a guidebook entry with directions to the trailhead on many of the trip reports, but not all. For Lime Kiln, take whatever road that goes past the cop house and the public restrooms, turn left onto Pioneer, then veer left onto Waite Mill Road, and to the Lime Kiln trail parking lot. No parking pass needed; it's Snohomish County.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
BosnMate

BosnMate
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 12:49 pm 
Thank you! Very helpful map And thank you to everyone for the Welcomes and tips. I plan on frequenting this site and appreciate the collective knowledge and willingness to impart with it.

"You can realize your dreams, accomplish you goals, and achieve success......but it means nothing unless you can inspire others to do the same"--Unknown
Smokey Bear
howdy kids

Smokey Bear
howdy kids
PostMon Mar 12, 2012 11:32 pm 
Boulder River is a great beginner trail. It is WEST of Darrington. On SR 530 at mp 41 take French Creek Rd 4+ miles to the trailhead. Another great beginner backpack in the Granite Falls/Mt. Loop area is Boardman Lake. It is up off the Schweitzer's Creek Road. It is .9 of a mile, 300 feet elevation gain, and ends at a beautiful lake with decent campsites. It is very popular though and will be packed summer weekends.

John Mac
old retiree

John Mac
old retiree
PostWed Mar 14, 2012 7:57 pm 
If you plan on hiking regularly, pick something like Wallace Falls State Park and increase your mileage with ever-expanding loops. There are quite a number of combinations available there which will cut down on boring repetition, but increase mileage and elevation.

How miserable are the idle hours of the ignorant man. Ariosto
DitchDoc

DitchDoc
PostThu Mar 15, 2012 6:26 pm 
Hey BosnMate, PM Sent. Doc

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round. Any deviation from that is bad.
BosnMate

BosnMate
PostThu Mar 15, 2012 6:54 pm 
NWHikers.net is awesome...already got a couple trips planned. Thanks to you all for answering and shooting me a message.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Mar 16, 2012 8:48 am 
Don't forget the guy that dissapeared on the boulder river trail....last year? squatch usually gets one a year..... hope you learn from others here by going on overnighters, please learn old-school rules up.gif like no dish washing in lakes or streams, leave no trace, ect.... allways take extra clothes, maps, and be prepared to stay out overnight! I was recently showing some people how to shelter in the snow overnight, books are good for basic survival overnight stuff... getting invited on a trip is the best way to learn!

cc11

cc11
PostSat Mar 24, 2012 2:22 pm 
I am just getting into it myself for about a year now. I am getting myself back into shape. My partners are awesome at understanding, but I am a little on the slower side and I feel like I always hold them up. I am in Bothell, but im always down for a bit of a drive for a dayhike/backpacking trip. Elevation doesnt bother me, I dont mind the trek up. I just am slower. PM me if interested in maybe hitting a hike together. I hit the North Cascades all the time. But am looking for cool places in the MRNP also.