Forum Index > Partners > Eagle Cap Wilderness directions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 10:48 am 
I'm in phoenix. Ill be driving home through north eastern Oregon. I was looking at the map and thought I might stop by the wallowas as I drive by on highway 84. Can someone give directions from 84 to the popular hiking spots in the wallowas please. My laptop died and I'm writing this on my kindle fire. hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 11:04 am 
Wallowa Lake Trailhead Take exit 261 for OR-82 toward La Grande City Center 0.4 mi Turn right onto OR-82 E/Island Ave Continue to follow OR-82 E 1.4 mi Turn left onto OR-82 E/B St/N McAlister Rd Continue to follow OR-82 E 17.7 mi Turn right onto OR-82 E/Albany St/Wallowa Lake Hwy Continue to follow R-82 E/Wallowa Lake Hwy 26.6 mi Keep right at the fork Continue to follow OR-82 E 17.7 mi Turn right onto OR-82 E/N River St Continue to follow OR-82 E 6.3 mi (Joseph) From Joseph, follow the Wallowa Lake Highway to the south end of Wallowa lake, avoiding the right hand fork which goes to Wallowa Lake State Park. The trail head is at the end of the parking lot.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 11:08 am 
Two Pan Trailhead (East Fork Lostine) Take exit 261 for OR-82 toward La Grande City Center 0.4 mi Turn right onto OR-82 E/Island Ave Continue to follow OR-82 E 1.4 mi Turn left onto OR-82 E/B St/N McAlister Rd Continue to follow OR-82 E 17.7 mi Turn right onto OR-82 E/Albany St/Wallowa Lake Hwy Continue to follow R-82 E/Wallowa Lake Hwy 26.6 mi Keep right at the fork Continue to follow OR-82 E/Wallowa Lake Hwy 7.8mi (Lostine) From Lostine, Oregon (located on Highway 82 west of Enterprise), turn south onto Lostine River Road (Forest Service Road 8210). Drive this road for about 18 miles until reaching its end and the Two Pan Trailhead.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
mike

mike
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 am 
BPJ, coming from the south and not wanting to take the "normal" route all the way around the north side: Go up to Halfway (hwy86) and take FS-39 road to Joseph. I think it is called the Wallowa Mtn Rd. and it is paved for part. It connects to the Imnaha Rd into Joseph. Left to Joseph, right to Hat Pt. Take the very short side trip to the Snake R, Canyon Overlook. edit: don't know how much time you have but the Snake R. road from Huntington is a decent and scenic road and cuts off some miles. It connects with hwy 86 just before Halfway. These are good, well maintained FS roads. (removed inaccuracies)

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 am 
Thank you David. Would you prefer one over the other? Mike will that road be snow free mid June?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
mike

mike
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 11:52 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Mike will that road be snow free mid June?
I would think so. The high point is around 5k and this is a low snow year. Mostly it follows the Imnaha R. Canyon bottom downstream to Imnaha where the road 4-way junctions with the county road up to Joseph and the Hat Point Rd. It also continues on down the Imnaha R. to the Snake River. Hat Pt is about 7k and if that road is open it's worth the trip. edit: FS39 aka Wallowa Rd is open and paved all the way. Last time we were there there were a few flood damaged gravel sections but they've been repaired. Hat point opened last week. If you don't want to go all the way down to Imnaha I think there is a cutoff up to Joseph before that that cuts off some miles but I haven't been on that road.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 1:35 pm 
Since ill coming up from Boise I think that cut off road would be nice. Since ill be leaving my rig full of stuff is there a theft concern at the Wallowa lake parking area?

mike

mike
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 3:49 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Since ill coming up from Boise I think that cut off road would be nice.
Yes it is. Be sure to take the short detour to the overlook. However I just looked at the OR roadmap and the info I gave you is close but not quite accurate. I misspoke about where the Snake R. Road meets hwy86. If you have an OR roadmap you'll see what I'm talking about. The Snake R. Road goes as far as Richland which is on hwy86 before you get to Halfway. So you will continue on 86 past Halfway until the FS39/Wallowa Rd turnoff. When we went we took the side trip up to Hat Pt which adds considerable distance to the drive to Joseph. We did not go down to Oxbow which also adds considerable distance unless coming from the ID side.

mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostMon Jun 11, 2012 10:06 pm 
Going up the Wallowa road might shave off some distance, but I think it is likely to take longer. I have not driven that way myself, but google mapping shows it taking more time. It may be that it is a much prettier drive, and worth taking. Enjoy the area, and if you are feeling lazy, the gondola ride is easy way to get some nice views...

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 10:19 am 
BPJ- Having driven in eastern Oregon a couple of times last year, I have the following suggestion: Don't rely on maps that imply decent-sized cities/towns, for finding gas stations. There are many decent-sized towns in eastern Oregon (and even western Oregon) that do not have any gas stations. There are also many cities/towns in eastern Oregon that imply being much bigger than they actually are. There will likely not be any "last gas until..." signs, so if you see a gas station and you are in eastern Oregon you should fill-up when the opportunity presents itself. Otherwise, you might be driving 100-200 miles to the next station. It is a freak of human nature, of sorts... probably because they do not know how to pump their own fuel down there. In example, "Burns Junction" does not have gas. It really does not even qualify as a town. On many maps Canyon City looks bigger than John Day, but there are many more people in John Day than Canyon City. Gas can be safely found in John Day, Baker, La Grande, and Pendleton. ------------ Just have a great time! That is a great region!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
mike

mike
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 2:03 pm 
mbtigger wrote:
Going up the Wallowa road might shave off some distance, but I think it is likely to take longer.
Yes. Blasting up I84 would probably be faster if time is an issue.

Trail Angel

Trail Angel
PostTue Jun 12, 2012 5:43 pm 
Imnaha is most likely clear, but other trails are still under snow over here. I just recently made it to the trail head above my house~ 5500' in elevation. There were snow patches still. Call the Wallowa- Whitman Forest Service in Baker or Enterprise. If you can't get a hold of them, try La Grande FS.