Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cispus Basin TH's
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Jul 01, 2012 12:04 am 
Since my BP trip went bust this weekend, I thought I would post a TH report. FR 21 is open all the way. I started at Walupt Lake(Hoodoo is charging) early in the am. After cresting the hill and seeing others going the opposite way, I assumed the entire road was open. FR 2150 aka Snowgrass TH: the snow start 1/2 mile before the TH, just before the junction with Chambers Lake.
1/2mile from Snowgrass Flatts TH
1/2mile from Snowgrass Flatts TH
1/2 mile from Snowgrass Flatts TH
1/2 mile from Snowgrass Flatts TH
FR 2160 is open to Walupt Lake. (did I mention Hoodoo is charging?) The PCT is accessable from FR 5603 near Potato Hill. Although, I wonder who striped this part of pavement. All the stripes are in line with each other. But the individual stripes are crooked.
PCT sign on south side of Potato Hill
PCT sign on south side of Potato Hill
Who did this on the 5601?
Who did this on the 5601?
Now for the north side of Mt Adams. From the north on the 2329: Muddy Meadows is accessable. The Killen Creek TH will be accessible as soon as a 500' patch of snow just past the Horseshoe Lake junction and 1 mile from the TH melts.
FR 2329 1 mile north of Killen Creek TH
FR 2329 1 mile north of Killen Creek TH
Killen Creek TH parking lot
Killen Creek TH parking lot
Muddy Meadows TH
Muddy Meadows TH
From the south on the 2329: Ollalie Lake is open. Takhlakh Lake is accessable with 4 wheel drive. It's a bit hairy and high clearance is a must. There are more open sites than mid July last year. The differance is that last year a plow went through and this year you must walk in.
The 23 road has solid snow just past the Takhlakh junction,aka Babyshoe Pass. Another road of interest is the 2324, aka Sunrise Peak. There is solid snow just before the hiker/horse junction. If one was to hike the 1/4 of mile to the hikers TH, the trail is possibly snow free for most of the trail.
Sunrise Peak TH
Sunrise Peak TH
Sunrise Peak
Sunrise Peak
And for those that want to know snow conditions in the Goat Rocks, I snapped this pic(I thought it was just below Cispus Pass, but with the two peaks that showed up, I'm not certain). Anyways, solid snow below the peaks.
Cispus Pass?
Cispus Pass?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salpine

salpine
PostSun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 am 
Thanks for the update... Good to see access is improving in that area.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jul 05, 2012 4:36 pm 
The Used Dog and I went up the 5508-024 (don't go there unless you have a high clearance on your car/truck) and hiked in on the seldom used Klickitat trail. We hit snow and didn't try hard to find the trail under the snow, at 4500 feet on a north facing slope. I don't think there have been many feet on the trail as The Used Dog seemed unwilling to find the trail by using his nose. He has that power. I would say the snow depth averaged 3 feet. The road has some nasty semi-washed out parts. I never tried it in my Subaru. I think it would have scraped. The Tomato Ranger crept through it all quite well. Maybe I'll do a trail report.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
wildsky

wildsky
PostSun Jul 08, 2012 4:46 pm 
I am bringing a group of scouts up this way next week. Does anybody have info or opinions on snow and trail/road conditions on the following route Start Pompey trailhead from road 2301 taking trail 128/7 to walupt lake continuing south on trail 7a and 115/116 to council bluff and then west on trail 1 boundry trail to elk pass. I need to know if the snow level later this week and next will proclude this trip. Thanks

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Jul 08, 2012 10:32 pm 
Wildsky, first I want to give you a up.gif for taking your scouts on a nearly 100 mile trip. I know that I couldn't do a trip like that. Unfortunately, what I observed is no longer valid due to the recent and continuing warm temps. If no one else chimes in, the best thing to do is go look for yourself. You can also call the Ranger Station in Randle or check the GPNF recreation conditions report. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/giffordpinchot/recreation#cond Last year(maybe the year before) I saw a posting for the 116 at Chain of Lakes stating that a bridge was out over Adams Creek. I'm not sure if that ever got replaced. A call to the Ranger Station in Randle should answer this.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jul 08, 2012 10:51 pm 
wildsky wrote:
I am bringing a group of scouts up this way next week. Does anybody have info or opinions on snow and trail/road conditions on the following route Start Pompey trailhead from road 2301 taking trail 128/7 to walupt lake continuing south on trail 7a and 115/116 to council bluff and then west on trail 1 boundry trail to elk pass. I need to know if the snow level later this week and next will proclude this trip. Thanks
That was the area I made it in two miles into. I believe I was at, or close to the junction of the Pompey trail and the Klickitat trail when I hit snow. However, it has been HOT here. It is still quite warm tonight and we are having quite the light show. That's why I'm still up. I do not know of a 2301 road. The 2304 road, which accessed the Pompey trail washed out at Killborn Cr, in 2006 or 7, and there are no plans to repair it ever. That's why I went in the way I did. I do not know how it would be to hike through the washout. It would be best for you to call the Cowlitz Valley R.D. in Randle. This report is from July 5th last week. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7999425

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities