Forum Index > Partners > Jordan lakes cancelled. Teanaway trip posted in trail talk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 10:42 am 
The trip below has been cancelled due to more snow in the area than I thought possible based on the elevations. New plan is a campout social with day hikes in the Teanaway area. See the wiki post in Trail Talk for info on this get-together. Who's interested in hitting the Jordan lakes this weekend? The road's in good shape (for now), snow shouldn't be an issue, and the weather is looking good, so far anyway. My tentative plan is to drive out the afternoon before the trip, and car camp somewhere on the Illabot road, have a little car camp social if anyone else can make it. Then day one hike in to lower Jordan, and camp, then the second day move camp to upper Jordan, then the third day hike out. I have off from Thursday through Tuesday, so any days work for me. We could do the car camp Friday night, hike in to the Jordans on Saturday, then some people could leave Sunday, I would probably stay until Monday, who knows. I would just like a full day up there, so I'm not just hiking in one day and then leaving the next day. I can also do the trip Fri-Sun. It would be nice if someone who has been there before would come (Backpacker Joe? hmmm.gif), or at least give me some rock-solid "trail" beta. The reports on this area are pretty scant, only one trip report ever posted at WTA, and only half a dozen here, that I could find. I know the basics, and I found a map that shows the old trail, and I've looked at pictures of stuff along the way like the tarn before you drop down to lower Jordan, but some more specifics might be nice.
Edit: it appears from posts below that there is still mostly snow on this route, and perhaps at the lakes. The trip is on hold for now. frown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 11:17 am 
I use to belive great minds think alike, I'm starting to wonder now. smile.gif My plan to visit these lakes was to be this weekend or next, or wait till mid aug. Now, I had no plans on asking for beta or reading TR's, just find out for myself, then brag if it was good. I'm in for friday night till sunday, could potentially hitch a ride.

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
kite

kite
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 12:03 pm 
I would love to see this area, but can't this weekend headed to Enchanted Valley.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 12:26 pm 
Lower Jordan is nothing to write home about. I'd push for Upper Jordan on the first day, but that may be a stretch now that they've gated the road at Slide. I'd bring a raft to float Lower Jordan and explore Upper Jordan, its side pool, and upper pot. Routefinding is not difficult. The route is fairly obvious with bootpath much of the way, but be prepared to supplement with ability to navigate from topo if you get off track.

SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 12:36 pm 
Tom wrote:
but that may be a stretch now that they've gated the road at Slide
Is this the gate a the Slide lake TH? Its another 2.5 - 3 miles to Jordan TH right?

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 12:46 pm 
DNTG: Correct about the road. I'm up for starting Friday night, but I would want to leave Monday. Hopefully someone else will sign on who is leaving Sunday, then you are golden. Tom, maybe if BPJ comes he will bring a raft or two or three. hmmm.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 12:53 pm 
Yeah, 2.5 - 3 miles. It's not too bad of a road walk. If it's still bikeable you could walk a bike up the road to make the return a little easier. You'd still have plenty of energy to make it to Lower Jordan which is more downhill than uphill from my recollection.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 1:19 pm 
Hmm, wasn't expecting that news. frown.gif Do you think ten day's worth of melting from the 4th to the 14th would melt out most of the trail? It has been pretty warm.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 1:26 pm 
I'd wait until late July. You really want to get up there after the upper pot has melted.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 pm 
Late July I'll be traversing the Eagle Cap, and early August I'll be summiting a volcano. Mid-August, anyone? embarassedlaugh.gif

Laural

Laural
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 5:56 pm 
I'd still be interested in something going down this weekend- the boy's out of town and I'm carless - but I can meet whoever with my pack Friday afternoon in Seattle or Bellevue.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 6:15 pm 
Cool, I'll bet DogNTallGrass is as well. Planning will re-commence! biggrin.gif Maybe car-camping at Deroux campground in the Teanaway, and dayhiking Sat and Sun? If we do that, I can take my camper van, plenty of room for you and DNTG, plus even a couple/three more.

Cody s

Cody s
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 7:58 pm 
Slugman wrote:
early August I'll be summiting a volcano.
When? and which volcano?

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jul 09, 2012 9:10 pm 
South Sister in Oregon. The trip is the 9th through the 14th, but some of that will be driving, and there's a trip to Chambers lakes in there as well.

Laural

Laural
PostTue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 pm 
I'm down. up.gif Now to negotiate the split of the camping supplies...