Forum Index > Partners > 2 NY REI employees looking 4 others 4 bckpacking trip in GNP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest dweller

forest dweller
PostThu Aug 16, 2012 8:20 pm 
First time here! My name is Tim. I live in NY. I do a lot of backpacking in the Adirondacks...but I want to branch out. I work at the Yonkers, NY REI store. A coworker and I are looking to do our first backpacking trip in Glacier National Park at the end of September / beginning of October. We're hoping to do a 6 or 7 day trip. After looking at the map the area I'd like to visit is one of the 2 most remote areas in the park - Nyack Creek or back in near Porcupine Lookout. We're looking to find cool, mature, (you can be crazy - you just need to know when to snap out of it!), experienced backpackers to go with us. 1) We'd like to meet cool new people. 2) We want our group to be large enough that grizzlies won't even think about messing with us! As of now it's just me and my coworker and if it stays that way we'll probably cancel. ;( So please come forward! Hope you can join us.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostFri Aug 17, 2012 6:10 am 
I would strongly suggest not canceling if you can't find more partners! If nothing else, do the tourist thing and stay at a campground and do day hikes/trips. Glacier is an amazing place, I returned from my first trip a couple weeks back and I already have plans to go back next year.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Aug 17, 2012 11:09 am 
Yeah, don't cancel! That's ridiculous. I went backpacking there with just my wife. Didn't even see a grizzly (just grizzly poop). Just talk loudly or sing a lot, especially in brushy areas and near streams.

Don

Don
PostFri Aug 17, 2012 12:56 pm 
I must echo the don't cancel plea. While I don't recommend hiking solo in GNP, I've done it numerous times. Two people? No problem! As others have said, make lots of noise and be cognisant of your surroundings. Consider purchasing bear spray if you're still nervous. But don't cancel. Here's another trip you might consider: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7977838&highlight=north+circle

forest dweller

forest dweller
PostFri Aug 17, 2012 2:35 pm 
Don't like the idea of backpacking with only 2 people in grizzly country. Perhaps I'm paranoid but 4 sounds like a better number. I don't want a huge group - just an amount of people they will more likely avoid. Besides that we don't have permits and haven't requested them - I'd hate to get there and have them tell me I'm going here or here when I pretty much know where I want to go. I was kind of hoping the place might be wide open in late September.

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 21, 2012 8:14 pm 
I've solo hiked in GNP. What you will find is that many of the trails are very popular. Now, carrying Bearspray, that is not a bad idea. If you have bearspray be sure to have a harness and wear it on your person. The one time I encountered a Grizzly (with cubs) I had the bearspray in my pack and it was a surprise encounter. All of a sudden she was there, 15' away. I left all of my stuff as I was unpacked and was off like a new bride's nighty. That was near Banff. Thing is, I'm still here. I met 4 young hikers in Glacier who had an encounter on top of Mt. Siyeh and one of them was bluff charged to 30'. They were very upset but nothing happened and now they have this great memory, like I do of my encounter. Go, but don't be too worried. Use good sense and study bear protocol. There are one or two incidents a year in Glacier and that is for a couple of million visitors. If you want to give something up that is risky, give up driving on two lane roads. I hope you don't smoke....

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Aug 22, 2012 5:32 am 
Yes -- you are paranoid. The chance of a grizzly attack in the first instance, even in Glacier, is extremely small. The difference in risk between traveling with 2 and traveling with 4 people is essentially zero. The only possible difference it would make is how much noise you make, but knowing that, there's nothing stopping you and one other guy from being extra noisy.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostWed Aug 22, 2012 7:35 am 
Maybe forest dweller is clever: he plans to decrease his risk by finding 2 extra members who run slow--thus allowing him and his buddy to get away. clown.gif

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Aug 22, 2012 2:13 pm 
I wouldn't be worried about the grizzlies... ... but the wolfpacks and cougars, on the other hand... clown.gif Don't cancel the trip, especially if there are at least two people.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
birkettnealy

birkettnealy
PostWed Aug 22, 2012 6:03 pm 
I'd love to join you, but scheduling doesn't work out for me. (I'm an ex-REI guy, Store #40, Niles, IL). I've been to Glacier a number of times, and I will reiterate what a lot of other folks are posting: Don't let the group size deter you. Hopefully you will find some partners, but if you don't, please consider going as a pair. Glacier is a phenomenal place, and I've found that the bear/visitor management is very well done. It can be frustrating sometimes because they will close certain trails if there is a lot of bear activity, but it's a big place with a lot of trail miles, and you won't be disappointed wherever you end up. The first time my wife and I went there, we had our hearts set on the Pitamakan Loop, but couldn't get permits. We had to "settle" for Cobalt Lake and Lake Isabel in the Two Medicine area. It was spectacular. I've been a number of times since then, and have hiked the Pitamakan Loop, and most trails in the Many Glacier area. over the years, I've had maybe a dozen separate grizzly encounters (and a few black bears), and never had a bad experience. A little nerve-racking sometimes, but great stories and pictures to share afterwards. I've always hiked Glacier as part of a pair. Preferably someone funny. A lot of chatter and laughing on the trail not only makes for a good time, but helps prevent any surprises for critters on or near the trail. Good luck!

"It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." -Pat Monahan
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 22, 2012 7:40 pm 
I'm far less concerned about grizz than a small party of folks whose prevous experience is all hiking the Adirondacks, no matter how much. Entirely different ballgame. I'd choose something less ambitious, but that's just me.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Aug 22, 2012 7:57 pm 
That's totally ridiculous. Have you ever been to the Adirondacks? If anything, backpacking there is harder because the trails are steeper and rockier. Forest Dweller, if you've gone backpacking in the 'Dacks, you can go backpacking in Glacier. Don't worry about the grizzlies. The grizzlies are not interested in an encounter with you. Just protect your food, make noise, and follow the other directions the rangers give you in the video they show you.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 pm 
Yes, I have been to the Adirondacks. Completely different. No need to get your hackles up. But *difficult* trails in the Adirondacks are not the same as the true wild country of GNP. Note they are not talking about giving it a try and working up. This fellow wants to go straight to the most remote portion of the park. They intend to go higher than anything they've done in their neck of the woods and in a season when you can get really cold temps if you're unlucky, and more than just a late summer storm with a dusting of snow that's gone the next day. It's a great idea to post here and look for partners and advice. Not saying they shouldn't go...just a word about some sense of proportion.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Aug 23, 2012 7:50 am 
rolleyes.gif Hmm, have you hiked in the ADKs or Whites in fall or winter? Perhaps these folks have. I "went straight" from years of hiking in the whites to backpacking in the Bighorns, Winds, and Bob Marshall and it was an awesome experience that I'd strongly recommend to anyone who feels they have solid all-weather and navigational skills. And we somehow survived. lol.gif I would not stress too much over the griz thing either - just keep the chatter up, be fastitious about your food etc as I'm sure you've read about, and worry more about tweakers getting at your car at the trailheads... (if you really have to worry about something, that is)

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 23, 2012 8:03 am 
I'm not saying they shouldn't go or find some good folks here to go with, just that there should be some hard thinking about the destination, the season (most likely OK), and some caution. It's not a personal affront to any of you who've hiked back east. I'm just saying. Criminy people get their panties in a knot around here.