Forum Index > Partners > 2 NY REI employees looking 4 others 4 bckpacking trip in GNP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Aug 23, 2012 9:49 am 
I'm not at all tweaked - more amused at the western exceptionalism. And the only reason I posted was to encourage these folks to c'mon out and have a fine time; to provide an additional counterpoint to the "watch out you have no idea" tone. From what I can gather from their posts they are doing hard thinking and research - if this only extends to bears then yeah they need to expand their list of concerns to include weather to be sure they're properly equipped and are paying attention to forecasts to reduce the chances of a "snowed in far from the road" type epic (something I'm just guessing the GNP rangers will also do a fine job of paternalizing about wink.gif ).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostMon Aug 27, 2012 7:23 pm 
Okay guys let's get back to what the man was asking for smile.gif Ditto don't cancel. Carry bear spray, be ready for snow and if you use walking sticks buy one ($1) or two of the loud bear bells they sell in Glacier (they are much louder than the ones that are sold in stores and REI) and attached them to your sticks. They make plenty of noise. That's what I do when I hike solo there.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
forest dweller

forest dweller
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 4:38 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I'm far less concerned about grizz than a small party of folks whose prevous experience is all hiking the Adirondacks, no matter how much. Entirely different ballgame. I'd choose something less ambitious, but that's just me.
I'll go easy on you since others have already defended backpacking in the Adirondacks. I've been to places in the Adirondacks in which the nearest way out was 14 miles from where I came in. I've camped out in below zero temperatures in the Adirondack High Peaks. I've snowshoed peaks in February. (Granted, didn't have to break trail - I'll give you that! It's hard to break trail in 4 / 5 / 6 feet of unbroken snow.) Yes this will be more remote and further out there, but I think the experience I have gotten in the Adirondacks has prepared me for this next step. I don't think we'll get snowed in. We'll bring extras of vital things like stoves and water filters if we go with a larger group. I have technical clothing and gear and I know to keep my things dry. We'll be extra careful with our food. Seriously though - the Adirondacks are surprisingly wild for the northeast. My biggest worry is bears - a lone hiker just got killed and partially consumed in Denali. But admittedly I don't have experience hiking around grizzlies and I could be worried for nothing.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 5:17 pm 
forest dweller wrote:
a lone hiker just got killed and partially consumed in Denali.
Correction: the FIRST hiker just got killed and partially consumed in Denali. Not to imply that there will be more; just pointing out that it's such a rare/freak occurrence you really don't need to concern yourself with it. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
forest dweller

forest dweller
PostWed Aug 29, 2012 6:06 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Correction: the FIRST hiker just got killed and partially consumed in Denali.
True, however there were others in Alaska throughout the years who have been attacked, killed and / or eaten by grizzly bears, including at least one couple that from what I understand didn't do much wrong but were dragged out of their tents at night. That's scary shite, even if you are more likely to get struck by lightning.