Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Oct 11, 2014 9:29 am 
gb wrote:
Of course. "Martin", Gwen, "Martin".
Or Martina. wink.gif Or maybe Fred.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostSat Oct 11, 2014 4:26 pm 
Great pics Gwen! So sorry about interrupting your solitude. I am always looking for the solitude when I go solo. Thanks for sharing!

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Oct 11, 2014 5:19 pm 
Rainie Too! wrote:
So sorry about interrupting your solitude. I am always looking for the solitude when I go solo.
No worries R2 - I can share. wink.gif I was actually quite surprised to have the place to myself at all.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
gb

gb
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 3:33 pm 
Not to beat a dead horse, here, Gwen, but I'm curious about Martin(a), his/her behavior, and how you got the photograph.
Did he appear once and disappear, reappear repeatedly, or just kind of hang out? How close were you? What focal length did you use, if you have that information?

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 3:50 pm 
gb Martin/a was about 20" up a tree that was just off the trail. I was not the one who originally spotted him/her. I came around a corner and saw another solo hiker staring up the tree. Not much to look at up there, I knew it much be something small and good, so I slowed my pace and dropped my voice. He'd been watching the marten while the marten had been watching him for about 5 minutes. The marten was really quite curious - s/he would scamper around the tree, and up and down a little bit, but never "went away," at least not until s/he went away for good. S/he his mostly behind the tree and peeked out. It was her last movement to come around to the left side of the tree where she was in good light and I was able to move to that side and get a couple of good shots off before s/he ran off. You can view the specs on the photo on it's flickr page.
New friend
New friend

gb

gb
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 4:01 pm 
I rather imagined that was the case, that he hung out. One time on the Boulder Pass trail we were taking a break a bit below the pass and were leaning up against a good-sized rock outcrop. Immediately next to me out of the rocks came a long tailed weasel. He was so curious. He just kept appearing and looking first out of one hole, then another. It was "pop goes the weasel". Pretty soon there was a whole family of weasels. I had a 20mm lens on and got a very good shot as the little guy came out of a hole just a foot away from me. Of course, the weasel and the marten are both mustelids. Curiosity is clearly one of their traits. Anyway, Gwen, really cute. If it was me, I would have taken him/her home. wink.gif

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 4:15 pm 
gb wrote:
Anyway, Gwen, really cute. If it was me, I would have taken him/her home. wink.gif
Cute indeed (in an "I'd like to rip your face off" sort of way), but I think the cats might have ended up on the short end of the stick if I'd brought Martin/a home. Didn't they say that curiosity killed the cat? I prefer my cuteness to be cuddly as well. And yes, the long tailed weasel I captured (a shot of) in the Goat Rox was also a curious little chap. The fisher I spotted down by Fryingpan Creek? Not so much, but he clearly had other things going on at the time (don't ask me what).

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 6:04 pm 
Maybe the curiosity displayed by members of the weasel family has something to do with them trying to evaluate whether humans are too big to kill and eat or not? I kid, I kid. I did encounter a handful of young martens playing chase in a tree one time, they interrupted their game long enough to check me out for a while. Actually many critters seem to have some fascination with us 2 legged, clothes wearing types of entities showing up on their turf.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 6:41 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Maybe the curiosity displayed by members of the weasel family has something to do with them trying to evaluate whether humans are too big to kill and eat or not? I kid, I kid. I did encounter a handful of young martens playing chase in a tree one time, they interrupted their game long enough to check me out for a while. Actually many critters seem to have some fascination with us 2 legged, clothes wearing types of entities showing up on their turf.
I think that those of us who move less quickly and talk more softly have the wonderful opportunity of glimpsing just a little bit more as we don't scare things away so much. I'm okay with that. (Still haven't seen my bear for the year though. Pout.)

gb

gb
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 6:57 pm 
Gwen wrote:
The fisher I spotted down by Fryingpan Creek? Not so much, but he clearly had other things going on at the time (don't ask me what).
So you've seen a fisher. Indeed a rare sighting! I think I saw one in the early 80's in Silver Star Creek. It was dark, a mustelid and much larger than Martin(a). It was in a dense, not yet fully mature forest. It ran in front of me and at some distance it ran up a tree. At the time I didn't realize it was a fisher, just that it was in the same family as the marten. I'm bare of bear sightings this year also.

Karen˛
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen˛
A Real Canadian Girl
PostMon Oct 13, 2014 7:21 pm 
Gwen wrote:
New friend
New friend
Outstanding photo! up.gif I love watching these little guys/gals romp around, so fun.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Oct 15, 2014 6:53 am 
Looks like a fine solo trip Gwen, with bonus solitude to boot! Thanks for documenting the mindlessness of fires in fragile areas; may we evolve beyond such "entertainment" rolleyes.gif Excellent wildlife shot too agree.gif

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum
PostWed Oct 15, 2014 9:18 am 
Beautiful photos Gwen. up.gif