Forum Index > Trip Reports > Potosi Mountain and historic crash site (Las Vegas, NV)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 6:58 pm 
In winter of 1942, a DC- 3 with actress Carole Lombard on board, crashed into a cliff on Potosi Mountain, southwest of Las Vegas. The crash killed all 19 on board. Wikipedia has a long article about details of the accident, largely the fault of the pilot heading on a wrong compass bearing. Potosi Mountain isn't a particularly special mountain otherwise. It's at the south end of the Spring Mountains, which border Las Vegas to the west. Potosi is a huge mountain with several knuckle-like peaks, most which have radio towers, transmitters, and other FAA equipment. It's pretty high - its tallest summit is 8,500', with great views of Las Vegas and the surrounding desert. I heard about the crash site, which still had some debris around, from Jim Boone's fantastic website about local LV desert hikes, Bird and Hike. Steve and I tried last Christmas to find this crash site. Unfortunately, the ground was covered in 6 - 12" of snow, obscuring the ground and complicating travel. This time, we were determined to start early and find it. The drive to the trailhead is about an hour and a half from metropolitan Las Vegas. We went south on interstate 15 till Jean/Goodsprings exit, then turned north west. We turned onto the Goodsprings Bypass Rd, which started paved, then degraded to a gravel road. The road was much rougher since we'd been there last and we had to take it easy with Dad's Camry... or else!! eek.gif nono.gif bagger.gif Yikes. We parked at the gate, and continued up an incredibly steep service road. We must have gained 2,300' in the first 1.25 miles. It started on the east side of Potosi, then wrapped around to the west, before gaining a ridge lined with peaks. A small cairn marked where we jumped off this road, and scrambled down and up to a gentle ridge. Below this ridge, was a cliff where Steve's gps indicated the site lay. A small piece of sheet metal confirmed we were close. When we found a rope strung from a dead tree, heading down the cliff, we knew we had the right gully to descend. Not wanting to trust the rope, we found another gully that was steep and slippery, but carefully made our way down below the cliffs.
Desert Denizen
Desert Denizen
service road we hiked up
service road we hiked up
view of Pahrump Valley
view of Pahrump Valley
gravel road on top of the ridge
gravel road on top of the ridge
small cairn and radio towers
small cairn and radio towers
traversing
traversing
Las Vegas and limb
Las Vegas and limb
nice snags on the ridge
nice snags on the ridge
small piece of metal
small piece of metal
From there, scattered down a steep, loose rock gully, we found all sorts of debris. The biggest parts were two landing gear, and two engines. Steve and I were pretty excited to find all the stuff, most of which was barely recognizable. Small pieces were scattered about, and probably much of it is now buried by time and erosion. We didn't see much in the way of a wing box or any large pieces of fuselage, but we didn't go too far down the gully - just until the debris field thinned out. I'm sure the site has been picked over, over the years. At one time, someone put a memorial plaque up there, but that supposedly got carted away. It wasn't an easy site to access, due to the steep loose terrain.
hubcap
hubcap
artifact
artifact
airplane part
airplane part
airplane part
airplane part
cable control
cable control
airplane part
airplane part
wire
wire
loose gully
loose gully
metal and landing gear
metal and landing gear
Steve inspects the landing gear
Steve inspects the landing gear
hose
hose
landing gear
landing gear
landing gear
landing gear
heated metal
heated metal
close up
close up
gear
gear
gear
gear
engine
engine
melted aluminum
melted aluminum
melted aluminum
melted aluminum
seat spring
seat spring
canister
canister
twisted metal
twisted metal
getting a shot to prove to Dad there were parts up there!
getting a shot to prove to Dad there were parts up there!
engine
engine
wire coil
wire coil
airplane part
airplane part
another seat spring
another seat spring
cliff above crash site
cliff above crash site
rope going up cliff
rope going up cliff
After shooting some pictures, we headed back up. Steve was brave enough to try the rope exit, while I just headed back up the gully I came down. We took a short scramble to the peak above the cliffs, for a stupendous view of the desert. We got back to the car about 5 pm, just in time to join others in the Friday night, Las Vegas commute.
Steve with Telescope Peak in the distance
4 labels
Red Rock Canyon
Red Rock Canyon
Radio towers
Radio towers
Las Vegas
Las Vegas
steep road
steep road
Mt. Potosi turn off
Mt. Potosi turn off

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 11:35 pm 
ree wrote:
Desert Denizen
Desert Denizen
Hammacher Schlemmer has this realistic large robo spider you can buy to scare your co-workers with. Price seems reasonable. $40 I think. Of course the boss might not appreciate your scaring everyone.
ree wrote:
4 labels
On the far side of the basin?

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 3:16 am 
ree wrote:
engine
engine
It's been a really really long time since i've done any work on one of those engines, so may memory is a bit foggy. One thing that grabs my attention is the amount of rust. I don't recall that much iron in those things. Another item that grabbed my attention is the 9cyl R1820s, rather than the 14cyl R 1830's. That bird must have been an early underpowered model.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
ree

ree
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 9:56 am 
Chico - I went back and labeled that photo, showing Telescope Pk and other features/landmarks. That cracks me up about the toy, but not so funny if someone keels over and has a heart attack from fright! This is the second time I've seen a tarantula out in the desert there. They are pretty docile and cool, unless you're a cricket, of which we saw plenty. There were lots of birds up there, and also we saw deer tracks. Hulksmash, thanks for the observation. up.gif I'd be asking Steve "what's that?? What's that??" lol.gif Some pieces he knew, others he didn't. I guess there is some archivist at Boeing that knows all this stuff. Regarding rust... this location gets more snow and precip than Las Vegas, at 8,090'. Maybe this would effect rust more..? The wikipedia article was super interesting: beacons dark due to war, Carole Lombard being asked to give up her seat, but she insisted... on that fateful flight. Her mother died in the crash too. frown.gif

ree

ree
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 10:05 am 
Can anybody guess what this is?
airplane part
airplane part

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 12:24 pm 
I used to work for a company that overhauled radial piston engines. Regarding the rust. Only metal alloys containing iron (steel is an alloy) turn reddish brown when corroding. I thought the engine cases, prop reduction gear box case, and supercharger case were made of forged aluminum, which when corroding does not turn reddish brown. The part your asking about is most likely from the hydraulic system.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 12:38 pm 
Thanks for the report, and especially for steering me to BirdAndHike.com - what a great site. I don't like being in the city of Las Vegas but the area has lots to offer and I'll definitely use this site next time I go through there.

RodF

RodF
PostFri Nov 07, 2014 4:02 pm 
ree wrote:
gear
gear
gear
gear
Completely lacking the benefit of Hulks' hands-on experience with the insides of a radial engine, this mystified me. But the full Service manual for the R-1820 is available (42 MB pdf). Page 19 "R-1820-71... 0.666 (3:2) Reduction Gear Ratio: The reduction gear for the R-1820-71... consists essentially of a large internal driving gear splined and shrunk to the crankshaft;" (not pictured above) "a propeller shaft assembly incorporating six planetary type pinion gears mounted on arms with are integral with the propeller shaft flange, and a stationary reduction gear which is bolted to the crankcase front section." (all pictured above) Should've been obvious! doh.gif The identity of the rest of the parts are pretty obvious. Interesting; enjoyed this, thanks for sharing, Ree.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Nov 08, 2014 2:57 am 
Mystified eh. Behold The R-4360 28 cylinder radial engine. I do believe this is the most complicated method to swing a prop ever devised. lol.gif http://www.enginehistory.org/P&W/R-4360/4360Cross.jpg Oh ya. If ya want a headache figure out how the cam works to open and close the valves on a radial engine. eek.gif

AR

AR
PostMon Nov 10, 2014 5:32 pm 
So much history still there. Thanks for sharing! It looks like you left everything alone for future hikers too. up.gif

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?