Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > HB Restricting River Access
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 3:21 am 
Howdy, From American Whitewater: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Article/view/articleid/32138/ This one seems sorta small, mean, and axe grinding. Tom

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 7:25 am 
That sounds like it would also ban fishing from the bank! What a crock!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 8:00 am 
Sounds like one land owner is trying to make public waters into a private pond. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 9:42 am 
Find your legislator and let them know you think this is a crock. http://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/ What's next ? Hiking allowed only from official DNR pay parking lots?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 10:46 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Find your legislator and let them know you think this is a crock.
Done. Hope my ultra conservative reps vote against it if it comes up for a vote.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 10:47 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Sounds like one land owner is trying to make public waters into a private pond. huh.gif
ditto.gif That seems like the most likely source of this idiotic legislation. I tried to find some information as to which land owner complained enough to get someone to notice him, but aside from fishing and rafting websites no one seems to be talking about this. The closest I could get was it was sponsored by Representative Larry Haler from Richland. The only reasonable justifications that I can think of for this bill are the potential safety hazards caused by vehicles parked along roadways, and the degradation of stream banks caused by informal paths and heavy use of river banks. However, I don't think these issues are enough of a problem to justify such heavy handed restriction of public access to public lands, and it remains most likely that some farmer's complaints about fisherman trespassing on his land somehow managed to catch the ear of the aforesaid politician in Richland.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 11:16 am 
Natty, you are making assumptions again. If you listen to the committee video, it sounds like it is a house and a yard. The landowners are having problems with littering, fences torn down, the usual. I can sympathize a little bit with them. But to lock up river access statewide is overdoing things. It's too much to deal with one, local problem. I googled it and found a newspaper article about several spots where they are overrun by folks needing river access. As always, some slobs ruin it for the rest. None were on farms or ranches. They were neighborhoods. Please tell me where you got the farm angle. I'd like to know. I saw nothing about it being a farmer or rancher. The place is for sale if you are interested. Sounds like nobody wants to buy it because of the problems. However, one also needs to do research before buying a property, although that might not have been a problem when they bought it. Just another example of the overpopulation of our state...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 11:36 am 
A huge injustice and over reach, and the approach is typical....if you can't control it, ban it. These are public lands owned by every tax payer, making it illegal to access them unless there is formal parking is ridiculous. It makes more sense to strengthen trespassing and vandalism laws which will directly address the few cases of harm, rather than harm the rights of all users of public property by placing unimproved areas off limits. What a great way to make use of our land illegal because there wasn't budget to do an improvement.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 11:36 am 
treeswarper wrote:
If you listen to the committee video, it sounds like it is a house and a yard.
Link to the video?
treeswarper wrote:
None were on farms or ranches. They were neighborhoods. Please tell me where you got the farm angle. I'd like to know.
Mainly because the bill is being sponsored by a representative from Richland, which is pretty much the center of Washington's farm country. Given these facts and lacking further information it was logical to assume that the primary owners of land in the area (farmers) were the source of the complaints that led to this legislation.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 11:40 am 
As an old river rat, I would be sad to see this bill pass. In my decades as a boater, I've seen plenty of trash left at public access sites. Boater's account for a small fraction, fishermen some as well, but IMHO by far the bulk of the garbage I've seen littering these sites are empty beer cans left by underage drinkers -- who aren't going to bring their empties home to be recycled in mom and dad's recycle bin.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 12:03 pm 
Looking at the video of the hearing it does not appear to be a public land grab. It does appear to be a very local problem that could be easily solved by towing the illegally parked cars. The bill as written is overreach first by no definition of "adequate parking" as pointed out by one rep. Second, as written it would apply to the whole state. The county should police its own parking regulations. If enacted it would cut off thousans of access points.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 12:12 pm 
Very good point. Enthusiastic towing of vehicles parked on private land is a better solution than the statewide hammer.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 1:19 pm 
Here is the newspaper article. http://www.tri-cityherald.com/2013/07/16/2472944_w-richland-council-votes-to-add.html?rh=1 The video link is on the Whitewater page.

tod701

tod701
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 6:53 pm 
HB1056 would apply to all state land parcels adjacent to water that are less than 160 acres. http://app.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1056&year=2015 You can both read the bill and provide comment directed to your legislators by following this link. Personally I opposed this piece of legislation.

Tod
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostTue Jan 27, 2015 7:34 pm 
Oh but wait! They will probably sell you a pass for $100.00 per year!

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.