83%  [ 59 ]
Illegal
16%
 16%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 71

graywolf

graywolf
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 5:51 pm 
So, when I read their policy regarding trails, there's nothing they could do to prevent me from wandering anywhere I want, so long as I don't build or maintain trails. They could "educate" me on practicing low impact techniques, but they couldn't enforce it. Imagine all the backcountry visitors to ONP just walking anywhere they want in the high country, and the resultant damage - mission accomplished!

The only easy day was yesterday...
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 8:32 pm 
JVesquire wrote:
From your post a few years ago, Rod, it is apparent that these shelters have completely collapsed and been totally rebuilt. What's the point? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7994695
Only one of the six shelters listed in Wilderness Watch's complaint had collapsed, and required extensive reconstruction: Wilder Shelter. The other five had not. Please do not make false generalizations - there are plenty of those in Wilderness Watch's complaint already. And as readers can see in the photos I posted, if the Park had resources to have repaired Wilder sooner, in 2006 or even 2008, before it collapsed, more of the original logs could've been retained before they rotted on the forest floor. By 2011, most (but not all) had to be replaced with new logs of identical number and diameter to the originals. This restoration was done under the supervision of the Park's historical architect in compliance with the Secretary of Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties, precisely as directed in the Park's General Management Plan.
Logbear wrote:
It's hard to believe that a metal roof on Bear Camp Shelter would be "substantially unnoticeable", or "primitive" or "affected primarily by the forces of nature"... On a purely practical note. A metal roof is really noisy when it rains hard or hails. I think a shake roof would have been better.
I actually agree with you, but these historic restorations are guided by historic accuracy, not by practicality. Bear Camp Shelter is on the Park's List of Classified Structures and is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places - see it's listing here. Please see Olympic National Park's Backcountry Historic Structure Report: "The roof slope of the Bear Camp shelter is much shallower in slope than previous shelters. This stems from the original use of a metal roof... to make the shelter have more depth for protection. It created a roof slope that is problematic for a shake roof. The minimum code slope for a shake roof is 4/12 with an under-layment membrane. The shelter has a slope of 2.3/12. Even double coursed, such a roof assembly will almost surely leak. In addition, if in a snow zone, it will never shed the snow, adding to structural loading, and have ice-damming at the eave... "A second alternate option would be to restore the original metal roof. Modern metal roof normally have a minimum slope of 3:12, just slightly steeper than the shelter roof. Some specialty metal roof can go shallower but require technical experience to install. Installing just a standard metal roof would be difficult to insure a weather-tight roof unless one would incorporate a solid roof deck and a water-proof membrane under the metal roof. This option would then provide an historically correct roof and would given the greatest assurance of not leaking." So although I also would've preferred a steeper shake roof, this would require a complete redesign with higher gables on the side walls. Instead, the Park installed a solid tongue-and-groove deck to support an historically accurate replacement of the original metal roof. The point is the first priority in restorations is historic accuracy, as guided by historic documentation, and as directed by the Secretary's Standards. Not the easiest, cheapest or most practical: the most accurate.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 8:50 pm 
Graywolf asks...
Quote:
I'm curious because I really don't know the answers. So, this group is against shelters - are they against any sign of human activity, such as maintained trails, bridges, etc?
RodF explains:
Quote:
Even though helicopters are used for replacement of prefabricated steel trail bridges, restocking wilderness ranger stations and search and rescue and fire caches, SNOTEL and radio relay sites, wildlife surveys and glacier monitoring, Wilderness Watch does not sue over these activities.
I'm just guessing here but I assume that if Wilderness Watch was against these things, they would have sued. There's an awful lot of "human activity" going on here. As far as shelters, this is from the policy guide. Thanks Kim Significant historic structures, such as those eligible for the National Register, should be identified and protected, but attempts to restore or stabilize structures should be discouraged. The natural deterioration of historic structures is part of wilderness; it is evidence of untrammeled and timeless natural processes reclaiming the wilderness from temporary human occupation. So if they are "against shelters", at least they want them "identified and protected".

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
RodF

RodF
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 10:37 pm 
Logbear wrote:
Graywolf wrote:
I'm curious because I really don't know the answers. So, this group is against shelters - are they against any sign of human activity, such as maintained trails, bridges, etc?
I'm just guessing here but I assume that if Wilderness Watch was against these things, they would have sued.
Don't assume, they have. For example, in their appeal against replacement of the 60-foot span Running Creek Bridge on the Selway River Trail, 8 miles inside of wilderness: "Is a bridge necessary? ...the stream can be forded. In fact, the EA notes that fording is indeed possible and would be done while the new bridge is being constructed. While fording might be risky during high water in late spring, larger streams than Running Creek have fords on them... "Specifically regarding recreation, Forest Service policy states (FSM 2323.12 part 3): "3. Manage for recreation activities that are dependent on the wilderness environment so that a minimum of adaptations within wilderness are necessary to accommodate recreation. "A ford is a minimum adaptation... Preserving wilderness character is paramount and more important than visitor activity (recreation)." Wilderness Watch has vilified The Wilderness Society for disagreeing with their opposition to Green Mountain Lookout, The Nature Conservancy, the Sierra Club and a long list of other mainstream conservation groups - see So-Called Conservation Groups Betray Wilderness and Are Big Environmental Groups Selling Out the Environment? In their fundamentalist view, they are the sole true apostles of Wilderness, everyone else is apostate. Their only totally consistent stand is: we are holier than thou.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Feb 17, 2016 11:07 pm 
Extremist groups like Wilderness Watch are detrimental to environmentalism as a whole. Their irrational actions mar the image of preservation and conservation. This is not to say that all extreme environmentalist groups are bad; I have a huge amount of respect for Greenpeace and their physical defense of whales, dolphins, and old growth forest. It's when such groups go completely ga-ga and start waging war over petty issues such as backcountry shelters that they go to far. Mainstream conservation groups like the Wilderness Society and the Nature Conservancy are mainstream because they are smart enough to act with moderation and intelligence. They work with the bigger picture and public opinion in mind. With the money Wilderness Watch is spending on this lawsuit they could go out and buy a little chunk of land, restore it to its natural state, and essentially create a new little slice of wilderness. Wouldn't that have infinitely more value than a doomed fight to remove a half dozen unobtrusive backcountry shelters?

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 12:41 am 
RodF wrote:
Even though helicopters are used for replacement of prefabricated steel trail bridges, restocking wilderness ranger stations and search and rescue and fire caches, SNOTEL and radio relay sites, wildlife surveys and glacier monitoring, Wilderness Watch does not sue over these activities.
I'd still like to clarify this. If Wilderness didn't sue over these activities, what's the problem? I must be missing something here. And if "This has crippled the Park's ability to do restoration...", I'm pretty impressed with the park's abilities. Some time ago we were told that due to the Green Mountain decision, all maintenance in USFS wilderness had been halted. Apparently NPS didn't get the same memo. We've also been told that due to fear of lawsuits, or the fear of the threat of lawsuits, that nothing could get done. I'm glad that NPS isn't making decisions based on this concern.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 9:11 am 
Nac, I think the problem with the points being made here go more toward the fundamental disagreement: does historic preservation trump wilderness prohibitions against mechanized activity and permanent human installations. I believe it is reasonable to find that the laws can exist in harmony: that historic structures can be preserved if they are done in accordance with proper wilderness management techniques. Going to court to resolve a disagreement is the American way, after all.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 10:33 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
It has long been decided via lawsuits, not legislation, that human activity is a part of wilderness.
Well, shelters are things, not activities. And can you point to an appellate court holding that actually says "human activity is part of wilderness" as a principle of controlling law? The interpretation and application of the Wilderness Act is not so simple, of course. Nor is it as simple as distilling a rather complex analysis into the OP's black & white poll question. JVEsq's post immediately above is spot on, but it won't get traction with those who insist on polarizing the debate via false dilemmas.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 11:07 am 
Logbear wrote:
I agree with JVesquire. The poll doesn't allow for other answers like these.Historic preservation within Wilderness is Illegal and should be legal . Or... Historic preservation within Wilderness is legal and should be illegal.Or...Historic preservation within wilderness is legal, provided the preservation is "substantially unnoticeable", or "primitive" or "affected primarily by the forces of nature", and should be legal. This answer would get my vote.
This. On a side note, are these shelters rodent havens? On less of a side note, I have a hard time getting myself worked up over the fate of these particular structures. Sure, maybe try to keep one or two somewhere as examples of what used to be out there, but they don't strike as so wildly valuable as historic artifacts that they should all be preserved. There is an obvious tension between preserving wilderness value and the act of restoring these structures so IMO the bar for what constitutes "historic value" is higher than what I'm seeing here.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 11:36 am 
Maybe it is just me, but I personally don't think the rebuild of shelters is a big deal. Keep them the same size and match what they were before. Some helicopter flights to ferry in supplies is again to me not a big deal. It's not like the flights to a particular spot will happen everyday, and when the work is done, no more flights would happen most likely for years. I have the same view of the park service using chainsaws, a day or two to use to clear a trail or in this case to rebuild/repair would be quicker and more efficient. Likely cheaper too. I'm sure my view isn't shared by everyone. But for little things like this I don't have a problem.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 11:50 am 
I don't see the problem with restoring shelters or other backcountry structures; even ones that have collapsed/burnt down. Such extensive rebuilding is necessarily for the preservation of these structures; failing to maintain them is the same as demolishing them. I think that non-motorized/mechanized methods of maintaining them should be preferred, but if it's a choice between losing a historic structure and saving it, I think it should be saved even if that requires the used of mechanized equipment. What does Wilderness Watch have to say about backcountry toilets? They are a necessity for keeping popular areas from becoming open sewers, would this group rather see the wilderness polluted than have a few mountain thrones installed here and there? If we had enough shelters we could ban or heavily restrict tent camping, thus restricting human impact in the wilderness to a vastly smaller area. Theoretically, wouldn't a few more permanent structures be worth such a reduction in human impact? The same goes for maintained trails and their related structures (signs, bridges, etc.). Anyone who has ever hiked a popular "boot-built" trail will know that such haphazard trail creation often results in a myriad of user-made trails paralleling one-another and causing exponentially greater impact than if there were one well made and maintained trail. Where bridges are concerned, does it really impact the wildereness less not to have one, and have people and horses tramping through creeks and streams; eroding the banks and tracking mud and dung into the water? Surely have them pass above rather than through a stream causes less environmental impact? Finally, how many lives have been saved by the refuge provided by a shelter? How many people have not become lost due to a sign or a well maintained trail? How many S&R missions have not been launched due to backcountry structures? It's impossible to know, but I suspect the number is probably quite high. Think of the impact a S&R mission must have with the large number of people who may be involved. Surely a few trails, signs, and shelters are worth preventing the need for as many such missions, as well as the financial costs associated with them that might be otherwise used for purposes such as environmental preservation.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 11:58 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I don't see the problem with restoring shelters or other backcountry structures; even ones that have collapsed/burnt down. Such extensive rebuilding is necessarily for the preservation of these structures; failing to maintain them is the same as demolishing them. I think that non-motorized/mechanized methods of maintaining them should be preferred, but if it's a choice between losing a historic structure and saving it, I think it should be saved even if that requires the used of mechanized equipment. What does Wilderness Watch have to say about backcountry toilets? They are a necessity for keeping popular areas from becoming open sewers, would this group rather see the wilderness polluted than have a few mountain thrones installed here and there? If we had enough shelters we could ban or heavily restrict tent camping, thus restricting human impact in the wilderness to a vastly smaller area. Theoretically, wouldn't a few more permanent structures be worth such a reduction in human impact? The same goes for maintained trails and their related structures (signs, bridges, etc.). Anyone who has ever hiked a popular "boot-built" trail will know that such haphazard trail creation often results in a myriad of user-made trails paralleling one-another and causing exponentially greater impact than if there were one well made and maintained trail. Where bridges are concerned, does it really impact the wildereness less not to have one, and have people and horses tramping through creeks and streams; eroding the banks and tracking mud and dung into the water? Surely have them pass above rather than through a stream causes less environmental impact? Finally, how many lives have been saved by the refuge provided by a shelter? How many people have not become lost due to a sign or a well maintained trail? How many S&R missions have not been launched due to backcountry structures? It's impossible to know, but I suspect the number is probably quite high. Think of the impact a S&R mission must have with the large number of people who may be involved. Surely a few trails, signs, and shelters are worth preventing the need for as many such missions, as well as the financial costs associated with them that might be otherwise used for purposes such as environmental preservation.
I too am interested in their stance on these issues.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 12:25 pm 
Mac, you might start the task of answering your numerous questions by reading the Wilderness Act and researching how the Act has been applied by NPS and other agencies administering the Act.

graywolf

graywolf
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 1:04 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Mac, you might start the task of answering your numerous questions by reading the Wilderness Act and researching how the Act has been applied by NPS and other agencies administering the Act.
I'll be doing that soon.

RodF

RodF
PostThu Feb 18, 2016 2:24 pm 
JVesquire wrote:
Nac, I think the problem with the points being made here go more toward the fundamental disagreement: does historic preservation trump wilderness prohibitions against mechanized activity and permanent human installations. I believe it is reasonable to find that the laws can exist in harmony: that historic structures can be preserved if they are done in accordance with proper wilderness management techniques.
This is precisely on point. Everyone interested in whether the NPS does so thoughtfully, in this case and nationally, please see Keeping It Wild in the National Park Service: A User Guide to Integrating Wilderness Character (NPS Wilderness Stewardship Division, 2014), specifically Chapter 4. This specific point is made on page 90: "Misunderstandings About Cultural Resource and Wilderness Laws "There are several misunderstandings about wilderness and cultural resource laws. Perhaps the most common misunderstanding is that the Wilderness Act has priority over cultural resource laws, or that cultural resource laws, including the NPS Organic Act, have priority over the Wilderness Act. This misunderstanding, especially when wilderness legislation does not explicitly discuss cultural resources, has led some to the view that cultural resources must be removed because they are 'developments' in an otherwise 'undeveloped' wilderness; or, at the other end of the spectrum, the view that cultural resources must be maintained and retained in wilderness without considering the full range of options and their resulting impacts on wilderness. In fact, no federal law has priority over another unless explicitly stated in congressional legislation and neither wilderness nor cultural resource laws state that they have a priority over the other. Therefore, all cultural resource laws apply to cultural resources in wilderness, just as the Wilderness Act also applies. Another common misunderstanding is that the Wilderness Act section 4(a)(3) statement that 'Nothing in this Act shall modify the statutory authority under which units of the national park system are created' allows park staff to prioritize particular provisions of the NPS Organic Act over the Wilderness Act. As discussed in scholarly publications on how various laws apply in wilderness (e.g., Rohlf and Honnold 1988, Dawson and Hendee 2008, Miles 2009), the congressional and policy mandate to park managers is to uphold both laws, not to put either law above the other. ... "The framework presented here is that: • Cultural resource laws apply inside wilderness. • Cultural resources may be part of wilderness character. • The Wilderness Act’s mandate to preserve wilderness character applies to managing cultural resources in wilderness." Keeping it Wild continues, outlining how to apply this in general, and in specific case studies. Olympic NP's General Management Plan is fully consistent with these principles, as are the Park's actions implementing it. Wilderness Watch contests this very point in their complaint: "The structures in the Olympic Wilderness have long been a source of internal and external conflict for the Park Service. See, e.g., Olympic Park Associates v. Mainella, 2005 WL 1871114 No. 04-5732 (Aug. 1, 2005) (finding the Park Service’s reconstruction of two structures within the Olympic Wilderness unlawful and noting that while preservation of historic man-made structures in the context of a National Park might be proper, '[o]nce the Olympic Wilderness was designated, a different perspective on the land [was] required.')." The specific language on page 12 of that decision is: "A long established rule of statutory construction is that where there is a specific provision that governs an issue, it takes superiority over any general provision. Here, the Wilderness Act under which the Olympic Wilderness was designated, is the specific provision, while the National Historic Preservation Act, among others earlier mentioned, is the general. The rule allows the NPS to administer the Olympic Wilderness for other purposes only insofar as to also preserve its wilderness character.” The heart of their claim is their interpretation of this precedent that the Wilderness Act trumps historic preservation, both for Green Mountain Lookout and for Olympic trail shelters.