Forum Index > Trip Reports > Crystal Lake 4/23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 8:20 am 
Yesterday was a wonderfully epic snowshoe up to Crystal Lake with a friend from KC ESAR. The road is clear up to the junction with FR27/2710, but we decided to park a few miles down for some extra fun wink.gif. The last bit of the trail is steep and you definitely work for the lake. It was well worth it. I'm just guessing not a lot of folks come out this way... we needed some route finding skills (although the river/creek helps). I have a few videos I need to upload still (and am running a bit late for work). I'll share them tonight! Also, I was up at Crystal Lake (almost to the lake) about a month ago. Here's a link to *that* flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/gp/147595416@N03/6075Vu
We decided to park early. We could have driven all the way to the FR27 junction. Instead, we decided to park in this mud pit.
We decided to park early. We could have driven all the way to the FR27 junction. Instead, we decided to park in this mud pit.
The water was *pouring* off the hills today. Lots of melt.
The water was *pouring* off the hills today. Lots of melt.
Working our way up FR23, this is right with the following pano and curve in the road.
Working our way up FR23, this is right with the following pano and curve in the road.
The mentioned pano at the curve in the road. Still working up FR23. A beautiful day out, even with a few gray clouds.
The mentioned pano at the curve in the road. Still working up FR23. A beautiful day out, even with a few gray clouds.
Up at the junction with FR27/FR2710.
Up at the junction with FR27/FR2710.
Over the hill and through the woods...to Crystal Lake we go.
Over the hill and through the woods...to Crystal Lake we go.
FR2710 was pleasant. The snow was a bit "dirty" but that's fine.
FR2710 was pleasant. The snow was a bit "dirty" but that's fine.
Epic tree wells and gaps covered by not enough snow. I took note of this for the way back. I also totally forgot about it, and then found it, the hard way (without injury or even pain), but I was all in, my entire leg, and it was hanging, lol.
Epic tree wells and gaps covered by not enough snow. I took note of this for the way back. I also totally forgot about it, and then found it, the hard way (without injury or even pain), but I was all in, my entire leg, and it was hanging, lol.
At the trail junction. Time for some nice snow to start appearing...
At the trail junction. Time for some nice snow to start appearing...
On the Crystal Lake trail. The snow was beautiful. Just starting to soften a bit, although I will say it was more slippery than usual.
On the Crystal Lake trail. The snow was beautiful. Just starting to soften a bit, although I will say it was more slippery than usual.
We came across three delightful little bears crossing the trail.
We came across three delightful little bears crossing the trail.
As we progressed up the trail, the snow started to get a bit softer in places. We eventually switched over to our snowshoes.
As we progressed up the trail, the snow started to get a bit softer in places. We eventually switched over to our snowshoes.
The trail provided some rather epic post-holing/shoeing opportunities.
The trail provided some rather epic post-holing/shoeing opportunities.
Beautiful snowshoeing here. Pictured is a wonderful friend from ESAR that I was hiking with today.
Beautiful snowshoeing here. Pictured is a wonderful friend from ESAR that I was hiking with today.
And then some of this stuff. We were nearing the final (rather large) uphill to the lake. Some route finding skills are needed here. There surely is no trail :).
And then some of this stuff. We were nearing the final (rather large) uphill to the lake. Some route finding skills are needed here. There surely is no trail wink.gif.
Still heading up that last push. This is awesome! Lots of traps to be aware of, but a ton of fun gaining a solid amount of elevation right at the end.
Still heading up that last push. This is awesome! Lots of traps to be aware of, but a ton of fun gaining a solid amount of elevation right at the end.
Crystal Lake
Crystal Lake
Crystal Lake
Crystal Lake

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 9:40 am 
Congratulations on getting up there this time. I'm in awe how much snow is still on the ground at fairly low elevations. That area does see quite a bit more precipitation than others though. A good trail heads up to Circle Peak from the lake if you ever get back up there in summer.

PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostMon Apr 24, 2017 5:31 pm 
I'm planning on getting back out there in a few months and would love to check out Circle Peak! Thanks RichP =). Videos uploaded to Flickr btw.