Forum Index > Trip Reports > Loop around Waterworks and Meystre Canyons (Cleman Mtn) May 3, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostThu May 04, 2017 6:20 am 
Awoke at 4am to the pitter patter of rain in Seattle and decided to take advantage of the warm forecast for the day. By 8am I was hiking through the wildlife gate at Waterworks Canyon just east of of Naches where I planned to make a loop by walking up the west rim of the canyon to the top and drop down via the east rim of Meystre Canyon. I would complete the loop by walking back to my car on the road after exiting through the winter wildlife feeding station at the base of Cleman.
The ridge I will ascend.
The ridge I will ascend.
Many flowers at the trailhead for Waterworks Canyon.
Many flowers at the trailhead for Waterworks Canyon.
Balsamroot.
Balsamroot.
I left the canyon and am walking the west rim of Waterworks.
I left the canyon and am walking the west rim of Waterworks.
Balsamroot and lupine appeared immediately after starting the hike and I left the canyon trail on an old jeep track after a few hundred yards that headed steeply up the slope to a large flattish area.
Waterworks Canyon
Waterworks Canyon
The warm morning air, singing birds, buzzing bees and profusion of flowers all made for a most pleasant experience. I was glad to be here. The ridge narrows higher up and a trail runs intermittently along the crest.
Easy and scenic walking.
Easy and scenic walking.
My return ridge in the background.
My return ridge in the background.
This slide traveled a mile down to Waterworks Canyon and left a debris field.
This slide traveled a mile down to Waterworks Canyon and left a debris field.
I took many breaks and was in no hurry to make it to the top.
Rainier stayed hidden.
Rainier stayed hidden.
Ladybugs.
Ladybugs.
Nearing Naches Benchmark, 4924.'
Nearing Naches Benchmark, 4924.'
Pines, Douglas Fir and Western Larches on the north side of Cleman
Pines, Douglas Fir and Western Larches on the north side of Cleman
At the top of the ridge I walked the road toward the east rim of Meystre Canyon and saw 2 guys pass on motorcycles before leaving the road again. The walk on the east rim of Meystre was very nice.
The ridge down.
The ridge down.
Point 3582 from across Meystre Canyon. A trail comes up to the low saddle on the right from Waterworks Canyon for a loop  dropping back down to the parking area after going over the top.
Point 3582 from across Meystre Canyon. A trail comes up to the low saddle on the right from Waterworks Canyon for a loop dropping back down to the parking area after going over the top.
It's about time I saw one of these.
It's about time I saw one of these.
I continued downward on the broad ridge enjoying the hazy views of the the valley until I reached a point with a sign for "Cot's Peak." After this point I was surprised to find a trail that went all the way down to the feeding station about 2500 vertical feet below. This is in about 2 miles so it's darn steep with not so great footing at times.
"Cot's Peak" aka Point 4375.
"Cot's Peak" aka Point 4375.
Bivy spot/lounge area at Cot's Peak.
Bivy spot/lounge area at Cot's Peak.
A steep trail goes all the way down to the feeding station from here.
A steep trail goes all the way down to the feeding station from here.
The trail crosses the creek at the bottom of Meystre and the water felt refreshing as it was now getting hot. I was on high alert for rattlesnakes down here but saw none.
Looking back at Meystre Canyon after crossing the creek.
Looking back at Meystre Canyon after crossing the creek.
Feeding station ahead.
Feeding station ahead.
The gate is locked but a human sized door is open.
The gate is locked but a human sized door is open.
Now I'll walk a mile back to the Waterworks Canyon Trailhead on the road to close the loop. 10ish miles and 3500' gain.
Now I'll walk a mile back to the Waterworks Canyon Trailhead on the road to close the loop. 10ish miles and 3500' gain.
I saw the padlock on the fence at the feeding station and thought I'd have to climb over but a small door swings open to let you or out. I walked the mile back to my car, 1/2 mile on Old Naches Highway and then 1/2 mile on 410, to the Waterworks trailhead and closed the loop. There is a small park and ride lot right about in the middle, so that could be an option for parking too. An approximate map of the route. Does not reflect the hundreds of tight switchbacks coming down from Cot's Peak.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu May 04, 2017 6:32 am 
up.gif Nice. Is it feasible to come up the North or South side and drop down the other side as a car to car thruhike ? Weird year we saw a good sized lizard early April at around 4k' in between snow patches on Entiat Ridge.

Living in the Anthropocene
RichP

RichP
PostThu May 04, 2017 6:42 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Is it feasible to come up the North or South side and drop down the other side as a car to car thruhike ?
Totally feasible. One could walk up Hardy Canyon or Big Burn and drop down via one of the ridges or canyons on the south or vice versa.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu May 04, 2017 7:13 am 
Looks like a perfect day. You are becoming an authority on Cleman Mountain! Who knows anything about Cot of "Cot's Peak"? Maybe a former local who roamed there? Interesting.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still