Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deception Pass, Tuck Lake, Marmot and Jade Lakes 7/25-7/27 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 6:25 pm 
We did a three day, two night backpack in the Deception Pass area, spending one night at Tuck Lake and one night at Marmot Lake, day tripping to Jade Lake from Marmot Lake.
Hyas Lake Reflection Tuck Lake is beautiful. The large camp on the north side of the lake, where we stayed, does not leave a lot of room for privacy but is more sheltered. There are some sites used for camping on the west side of the lake but they are more exposed to the weather and elements. The climb up to Tuck Lake is as difficult as advertised, very grueling especially with a heavy pack. The climb up to Robin Lakes from Tuck is even harder. Make sure to bring lots of water with you, as there is no water source between Tuck and Robin. Fatigue and lack of water stopped us about 300 feet short of the high point before reaching Robin Lakes. We still enjoyed lovely views of Mount Daniel and the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. We shared the lake with a Boy Scout group that was, to put it kindly, a little boisterous and noisy at times. Please remember that some of us, while not expecting absolute silence, would appreciate it a whole lot if you were not yelling expletives and making conversation at the top of your lungs. Have fun, but be considerate also. Tuck and Robin Lakes may not be a hike to do in peak season, if you are like me and prefer something more remote and quieter. It was still beautiful and the views of Mt. Daniel more than made up for the noisy camp.
The second day we hiked back down to Deception Pass and up the Marmot Lake trail. The trail will drop to 4100 feet after the pass and then ascend to Marmot Lake at 4900 feet. It was a steep and tiring climb at times. There is a small creek at approximately the halfway point between the pass and the lake that provides a good water source, at least right now, just below Hozzbizz Lake. We took a smaller, more isolated site north of the main camp with good lake access and a great view. The loud noise of a military plane surprised us as we were setting up camp. It had apparently already broken the sound barrier farther back, so the noise came after the plane, which is part of what made it so surprising. I think this occurs with some regularity up here, so be aware that it could happen. It passed over again in the evening.
We headed up to Jade Lake in the afternoon. It took about an hour and a half to get up there and a little less than that back down. Route finding is challenging, but not impossible. A map and GPS are very helpful and recommended, but the route is partially marked with cairns. As a guide, look at the picture of Marmot Lake below.
The trail to Jade ascends, generally, up the left side of the boulder field (as you come up from Marmot) directly below the highest, snow-covered peak shown in the picture. Follow a rough, but visible trail around Marmot to the boulder field. There are many social trails that you can encounter, especially on the way back, but following the obvious boot paths and using the lake for perspective will get you back to camp safely. Once you reach the boulder field, then ascend very carefully, generally on the left side (as you come up from Marmot) of the boulder field, following the cairns. The footing is terrible in places with loose rocks. Once you top the ridge, the trail is very visible and easy to follow down to Jade. This time we were not skunked, and the lake was beautiful. I'd think twice about camping up here if you have a heavy load, because climbing up to Jade with a heavy pack would be very, very difficult. The trail can be treacherous at times as well, so I don't recommend it for newbie hikers either. The view is definitely worth the climb.
It took about five hours to hike from Jade back to our car on the third day.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 7:46 pm 
Nice work there Thrush. Kind a sad you got to Tuck and not Robins. Nice pics.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:09 pm 
Thanks for the report. Nice images up.gif I've done Tuck & Robin twice. September 2014 and June 2015. First time I think I saw maybe 6 people. Second time about double that. Both weekday day hikes. So, I didn't experience the annoyances you did. I'll echo the previous comment. Yea, too bad you didn't get to experience the Robin Lakes basin. You crest that nasty solid granite slab ridge and the basin punches you right in the face! In a good way biggrin.gif
HermitThrush wrote:
It took about five hours to hike from Jade back to our car on the third day.
Hey, in your opinion, is Jade a doable day hike from the Cathedral Pass Trailhead ( where you parked ). You mentioned 5 hours. You have the mileage stats? Thanks

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:11 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Nice work there Thrush. Kind a sad you got to Tuck and not Robins. Nice pics.
It was. If I had been carrying a second water bottle and a Clif bar or two I'd have gone for it. I later learned I was maybe 300 feet short of the high point before descending to Robin. I saw 1.4 miles on the map and thought, "Without packs that won't be too bad." I was wrong! Lesson learned for next time.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:17 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Hey, in your opinion, is Jade a doable day hike from the Cathedral Pass Trailhead ( where you parked ). You mentioned 5 hours. You have the mileage stats?
WTA says that Jade Lake is 21 miles roundtrip. 5 hours is reflective of a net elevation decrease from 4900 to 3400, one way. We were really booking at times. It was much, much slower going uphill especially in the heat. I, for one, would never try it in a day, as the steep scramble from Marmot to Jade, and the rough trail around Marmot, are difficult to follow and would be pretty near impossible in low light.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:21 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
You crest that nasty solid granite slab ridge and the basin punches you right in the face!
This granite slab?

geyer

geyer
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:30 pm 
HermitThrush wrote:
WOW!!! I've seen it a hundred times and it gets me every time. Some day I'll actually get here - it's been on the proverbial list pretty much ever since there was a list, but it has repeatedly taken a back seat. Thanks for sharing!

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:54 pm 
HermitThrush wrote:
Bootpathguy wrote:
You crest that nasty solid granite slab ridge and the basin punches you right in the face!
This granite slab?
hihi.gif hihi.gif hihi.gif Dat be da one

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm 
geyer wrote:
HermitThrush wrote:
WOW!!! I've seen it a hundred times and it gets me every time. Some day I'll actually get here - it's been on the proverbial list pretty much ever since there was a list, but it has repeatedly taken a back seat. Thanks for sharing!
Geyer this would be a piece of cake for you given your other adventures, in fact the on trail part might even be a bit boring for you. Go for it! It's surreal.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm 
up.gif Nice TR. Lots of good destinations in that area.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:58 pm 
What's this business about nasty granite slabs? Those two things are mutually exclusive in my book. Granite slabs are awesome.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 9:13 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
What's this business about nasty granite slabs? Those two things are mutually exclusive in my book. Granite slabs are awesome.
I use that phrase with complete affection. Granite landscapes are my favorite Alpine terrain. The nastier the better

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 9:15 pm 
Not when you only have 1 bottle of water, almost empty, and no water source, and you feel beyond exhausted! Lesson learned. Yes granite slabs are awesome.

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Dat be da one
darn. I was all but there!

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 9:20 pm 
up.gif Nice TR. Lots of good destinations in that area.
Yep. I think Waptus, Spade and Venus will be next, maybe even this coming week!