Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > 'Environmental Nightmare' After Thousands Of Atlantic Salmon Escape Fish Farm 08/24/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 10:11 am 
thanks for the link, Gregory.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 12:52 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
You want mumbo jumbo, ask for an objective reason human actions are not natural ones. rolleyes.gif
My point is that trying to boil this down to "natural versus unnatural" is a diversion from the question of whether this is a good or a bad thing. It's a lexical distraction. Much more interesting is the discussion of what such an accident might do to local fish stocks. From both comments here and from what I've seen and heard elsewhere, this pollution event (as it's legally considered, for good reason btw) will both lead to a few more challenges to already stressed local salmon populations (competition for food and risk of new diseases spreading). The farmed fish will not provide any compensating benefit, as they appear rather unlikely to establish on any local fish runs. But they will potentially take another chunk from the populations that we CAN expect and hope to see continuing to run in years ahead. IMO this is not good, regardless of whether one's definition of "natural" applies to this event.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 12:57 pm 
Wether it is a good thing or a bad thing is relative to a set of standards, and the basis for such standards is not a diversion...it's a fundamental and inherent aspect of the standards themselves. In your concluding sentence, we see the impact of the basis of the standards. I submit that if one does not see human actions as distinct from natural ones, there's no more basis to see competition between species as bad than in any other case where species contend for the same resources. Thank you for further illumination of your argument

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 1:06 pm 
I think less of a "standard" here than a basic assumption. Which in this case, for me, is that maintaining some level of viable public salmon fishery is important and valuable. That anything which threatens it is bad and destroys value. From what I can tell this isn't about long term competition of species for population dominance, unlike for instance what we have with a few owl species hereabouts. It's about the threat one species, dumped by human error into the unfenced environment, which will tend to have a drag on another w/o providing any long term compensation for this potential population loss. I think rhetoric that drives a discussion to such underlying assumptions is interesting and sometimes even constructive. I generally haven't found lexical debates to provide such a drive. But in this case perhaps it did, if only in order to provide a counterpoint to a debate about whose dictionary to use.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 1:14 pm 
And though it's likely moot here due to the apparent unlikelihood that the Atlantics will establish runs here, species diversity across the globe is also valuable from the perspective of increasing likelihood of global-scale resilience with respect to evolution of pests and diseases. One species might be resistant to what decimates another. So on the basis of maintaining global fish stocks, we should do what we can to resist a decrease in species diversity.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 1:33 pm 
Aren't more species in more places an *increase* in diversity, so long as both survive ? So long as goats don't drive an extinction in the Olympics, isn't their presence an increase in diversity of the fauna present?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Aug 28, 2017 4:37 pm 
If the existing species remain robust and doesn't suffer any stress caused by the invader then yes at least at a local level. But the liocal salmon species runs aren't even robust to begin with and I'm doubtful that the Atlantics pose zero stress... As for the goats, having the same species of goat that lives elsewhere also in the Olympics may offer some minor protection to the goat species if the Olympics are sufficiently an "island" that's isolated from invation by any pests, diseases, or other stressors that might befall the same species elsewhere; otherwise it does not provide much of the sort of "robustness" benefit I'm writing about. Btw you got me curious about how the dictionary defines "natural" which is based on lexicographer study of actual general usage and with various senses of the word listed in order of declining frequency of use (not to be confused with jargon as defined in specific fields of study and research):
Quote:
ADJECTIVE existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind: "carrots contain a natural antiseptic that fights bacteria" · [more] of or in agreement with the character or makeup of, or circumstances surrounding, someone or something: "sharks have no natural enemies" (of a parent or child) related by blood: "such adopted children always knew who their natural parents were" (of a note) not sharped or flatted: "the bassoon plays G-natural instead of A-flat"

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 29, 2017 10:31 am 

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 29, 2017 10:56 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
"...So long as goats don't drive an extinction in the Olympics..."
While the mountain goats which were introduced into the Olympics in 1929 have not been the driving force behind any extinctions of animals, it has been noted in several studies that the presence of the non-indigenous goats has a detrimental effect on endemic species of flora. The reports were published by NPS. I would imagine you might be able to find them online or by contacting Olympic National Park.
MtnGoat wrote:
"Aren't more species in more places an *increase* in diversity, so long as both survive?"
That is one way to look at it. However, in the case of National Parks, which are Congressionally mandated by Congress to "preserve and protect in its natural state" the native flora and fauna, the introduction of non-indigenous species (of both flora and fauna) ultimately leads to conditions where it is not possible for the National Park Service to meet its management objectives and comply with its Congressional mandate. In the context of farm-raised fish (aka "Aquaculture") there are other issues involved, which are pretty clearly pointed out in the videos posted above, the claims contained within them having been substantiated by a number of other sources as well as the producers of those videos. The more you know, the more you understand why Friends don't let friends eat farm-raised fish. (or shrimp!)

mike

mike
PostTue Aug 29, 2017 11:06 am 
Back on topic...(I suggest that the broader topic of invasive species be moved to another thread) catch map

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 29, 2017 9:55 pm 
the topic is fish:
fresh wild Alaska Coho Salmon fillet 082917
fresh wild Alaska Coho Salmon fillet 082917
fabulous! up.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Aug 29, 2017 11:14 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Aren't more species in more places an *increase* in diversity, so long as both survive ? So long as goats don't drive an extinction in the Olympics, isn't their presence an increase in diversity of the fauna present?
Prior to European sailors arrival in Hawaii , rats were not present. Adding a new species that then decimates existing species doesn't increase the viability of the ecosystem. I don't know what is going to happen with the Atlantic Salmon, but I feel that the Goat's argument is ignorant of how ecosystems operate. Perhaps willfully or just from lack of knowledge.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 30, 2017 10:00 am 
^ The Hawaiian islands have been inundated with non-native species from around the globe. Some have been good, like hibiscus (the State flower) and plumeria (aka "frangipani".) Some have been disasters: rats, mongooses, and all kinds of plants, one of them a philodendron-type species that climbs up into the trees and chokes them to death (similar to what English Ivy is doing here in local parks.) (Expounding on that, the Hawaiian islands are probably not the best example to use for purposes of discussing non-native species, because originally there was a dearth of species there, the islands being at the tail end of the evolutionary process globally. There have been hundreds, if not thousands, of species of flora introduced to the islands that have been beneficial and have become part of the identify of Hawaii; the hibiscus probably being the most notable.) Simply adding another species to an ecosystem isn't always beneficial, and it certainly doesn't "add to the diversity" if the non-native species wipes out or crowds out the native species; easily seen every day along the cut-banks of Interstate 5 that are overrun with Himalaya Blackberry and Scotch Broom. But all that's just a tangential argument intended to obfuscate the issue at hand, which is a non-native fish being brought into local waters. Whether or not it interbreeds with native fish (it doesn't), or if it takes up residence in local rivers (it doesn't) isn't really the issue. The issue is that the farm-raised fish are rife with pathogens and parasites that have the potential to be passed on to native stocks; the process of sourcing the "fish pellets" that they are being fed is decimating food fish stocks in the Pacific Ocean; and the end product isn't quite as "healthy" as those selling it would like you to believe. If all of that is "natural", then by MtnGoats's definition "natural" would also apply to Soylent Green.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 30, 2017 10:11 am 
... and thanks for the catch map, mike. Looks like as of about half an hour ago (08/30/17 @ 09:26 PDT) they've got reports of 1345 fish being caught out of the estimated 4000-5000 fish that escaped. (26% - 33% of the estimated total over six days.)

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 30, 2017 10:55 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Prior to European sailors arrival in Hawaii , rats were not present. Adding a new species that then decimates existing species doesn't increase the viability of the ecosystem. I don't know what is going to happen with the Atlantic Salmon, but I feel that the Goat's argument is ignorant of how ecosystems operate. Perhaps willfully or just from lack of knowledge.
Which is why I specified the new species did not drive another extinct. Your feelings about how I view facts are a product of a value judgement. . Your last argument is essentially grounded in the idea that if someone knows facts per se, it will result in a particular set of value judgements forced by the facts. This is not the case. Disagreement is not driven by not knowing facts about an ecosystem, nor by bad faith....it's driven by the application of a completely different value system relative to those facts.