Forum Index > Trail Talk > Enchantment Permits
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 6:46 pm 
Could it be that the permit system actually attracts more people? It's difficult to get therefore it has to be the best place to go.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Could it be that the permit system actually attracts more people? It's difficult to get therefore it has to be the best place to go.
I've wondered about that myself. Also some of "I can't have it, so now I really want it."

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 7:33 pm 
schifferj wrote:
I'll keep applying for the Enchantments - at age 70 I don't have a lot of years left to get a permit
Keep at it. I got the reccomendation for the Beartooths from Bill Prater whom I happened to run into on the summit on Mt Daniel on a very fine day in August. He was 75 at the time.

reststep

reststep
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 8:49 pm 
I think they should do the permits by age. Divide it up into 5 year age groups. Anyone 100 or over would have first dibs. 95 to 99 would have second dibs etc. biggrin.gif

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri Feb 23, 2018 9:05 pm 
The "day of"permits make way more sense odds wise. Your odds of being drawn are what - thirty or forty to one and opposed to one in three trillion or so. If it works out - awesome! If not there are plenty of other places around Wenatchee to hike.

l'Emmerdeur

l'Emmerdeur
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 10:21 am 
I just pulled the trigger on a permit application for my vacation at the end of August. It was more of a "What the heck" kind of thing along with some curiosity about the new online system. I've gotten solo permits a couple times in the past, under the old system. I always wondered if it favored solo/small group applications since it was probably easier to shoe-horn individuals into their overall capacity around the larger groups. Now it seems that every application could be treated as an 8-person, extended-stay group right up until the permits are printed and finalized. Definitely more convenient than trying to get a fax through to the ranger station on Day 1, and likely a lot easier on the rangers who no longer have to sort through with the annual "white-paper blizzard" on the floor of their office.

SEMPER IMPROVISIO -or- You can't always get what you want, but if you try some times you just might find that you learn how to Deal...
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 5:48 pm 
FWIW you can only enter once per person, unlike last year when you could put in as many applications as you could afford. This should cut down the numbers quite a bit (I hope).

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 6:46 pm 
You should gain "preference points" with time like hunting draws. That way a failed application still counts for something if you apply again next year.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 7:00 pm 
FWIW: I've been to the Enchantments three times One trip in July, one in June and one ski tour in April. All were quite enjoyable. The permit season doesn't start until May 15th -- if you are a capable snow traveler -- no permit is needed.

Galadriel

Galadriel
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 7:39 pm 
I’ve been entering the core enchantment lottery for over 20 years, but never won. At age 55 I dayhiked up Aasgard, through the core and down Snow lakes, but it only gave me a taste of its wonders. Now I’m 72, and figure I don’t have much more time. Last June, I dayhiked up to Snow. I passed a backpacking couple with a core permit, sitting exhausted along the trail near Nada. They said they weren’t going any further than Nada- They had no idea it would be this hard. I couldn’t help but feel the unfairness of life. But life is not fair, and I am trying again.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 7:48 pm 
Galadriel wrote:
I couldn’t help but feel the unfairness of life. But life is not fair, and I am trying again.
Assuming you are retired at 72. If you are that determined to stay up there just do the drop-in thing mid-week for a few days after Labor Day. your chances are very good actually. Another advantage to that method is that you can even pick your weather window.

Galadriel

Galadriel
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 pm 
Not retired yet, still working in my own business which keeps me tethered, especially after Labor day and the beginning of fall season frown.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 28, 2018 1:12 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
If you want solitude on barren granite polished slabs, head to the Beartooths.
And if you want to hike with solitude, go to Titan or Io. You won't see a soul! Mars is already getting too crowded.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Feb 28, 2018 8:32 pm 
Galadriel wrote:
I’ve been entering the core enchantment lottery for over 20 years, but never won.
Six years for me. I don't expect to get it this year, either. I've never seen the Enchantments without snow since I always have to go pre/post permit season.

MesiJezi

MesiJezi
PostWed Feb 28, 2018 9:10 pm 
My wife and I got a core enchantments permit on our first try back in 2013, and while we didn't realize exactly how fortunate we were until later, we enjoyed every moment of the 5 days we spent there. I feel a little guilty knowing how many years some of you have been trying. frown.gif I really hope you have better luck this year, Galadriel!