Forum Index > Trail Talk > National Parks move Backcountry Permits to Reservations.gov
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:36 pm 
I knew this was coming and it appears all the parks are announcing it today. NCNP Backcountry permits will be by lottery in March Reservations begin in March 2022 and will be processed through the North Cascades Backcountry Permits site on Recreation.gov
Quote:
All backcountry permits and reservations will be processed through Recreation.gov and activated by North Cascades National Park rangers. This process will be implemented in three phases: Early-Access Lottery, General On-Sale and walk-up permits. During the Early-Access period, users will apply for the lottery and, if they are successful, will be awarded a timeslot to make a reservation. Users will be able to make just one reservation from the beginning of their timeslot until the end of the lottery period. Additionally, only one site per night can be booked. This will allow for more groups to have access to the backcountry and limit impacts to natural resources. After the lottery, the remainder of reservable sites will be open for reservations during the General On-Sale. Reservations must be made at least 2 days before the trip start date. If you are unable to obtain a reservation, walk-up permits can still be obtained at the Wilderness Information Center and certain permitting offices the day of or day before your trip.

Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 pm 
More money in the bank for Booz Allen

Flickr | Strava

dixon
hbb

hbb
PostThu Jan 27, 2022 10:51 am 
Good, this will be way better than standing around for hours in Marblemount. I'll gladly pay some private company a few dollars for the privilege of making an online reservation. Olympic made the same move, and between that and COVID protocols, getting a permit is as easy as making a few mouse clicks. No more lining up at the WIC at 7:30 a.m. to get ahead of the first rush of folks coming off the 6:05 Bainbridge ferry.

jditty, thunderhead
HikingBex

HikingBex
PostThu Jan 27, 2022 9:26 pm 
So does this mean that we won't enter the lottery for an itinerary this year, we'll enter for a timeslot and then during that timeslot we can choose from whatever's still available? Ok I actually clicked on the link and read the details so I understand it more now... Any idea how many people are going to be in each timeslot? I.e. if I get a timeslot do I have a pretty good chance of getting the site I want? Last year I remember NCNP sent out an email around the time they were emailing people if they'd gotten permits or not to be patient because they were still sorting through all the applications, which made me think the rangers were doing it by hand confused.gif It definitely seems like that system had room for improvement.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Jan 27, 2022 9:51 pm 
Regardless about how you feel about overcrowding and reservations in general, this is definitely going to be a step up from the current disaster of reservation system at NCNP.

Foist
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 7:55 am 
Looks like Mt. Rainier too.

neek

neek
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 8:43 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Regardless about how you feel about overcrowding and reservations in general, this is definitely going to be a step up from the current disaster of reservation system at NCNP.
Hope so - waiting in line indefinitely is downright dangerous, as it forces people to start late and then hustle to reach their destination. Is there a mechanism (besides "one site per night") to prevent someone with excess cash from reserving a bunch of spots throughout the summer and then just using what's convenient?

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 10:16 am 
hbb wrote:
Good, this will be way better than standing around for hours in Marblemount. I'll gladly pay some private company a few dollars for the privilege of making an online reservation. Olympic made the same move, and between that and COVID protocols, getting a permit is as easy as making a few mouse clicks. No more lining up at the WIC at 7:30 a.m. to get ahead of the first rush of folks coming off the 6:05 Bainbridge ferry.
I can understand why you say this. Given the rampant waste of taxpayer money under slow bureaucratic government projects. I just left a job as a defense contractor after 3.5 years. Let me tell you that just because a private company picks up the contract instead of a federal department, the waste absolutely does not go away. If anything, it gets worse because they bill higher. The number or projects I sat on where we billed thousands per hour to attend meetings and do virtually nothing else while we waited for paperwork to be shuffled around for weeks (or even months) was staggering. I couldn't stomach it any longer as a taxpayer. You shouldn't be happy about them winning a $182,000,000 contract to build and maintain a simple scheduling CRUD application that they can't even protect against bot attacks. Or an extension for this. You won't have to wait in Marblemont because the nerds will inevitably just book all of the good dates/spots with software in the first 2 minutes they're available lol.

Flickr | Strava

Cyclopath, RichP, HikingBex, kw, neek
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 10:44 am 
That's a fair point. But the national forests and parks will not be completely privatized (nor should they be) so we will be stuck with waste and inefficiency either way. But at least with everything centralized with one private system (recreation.gov), it will be a simpler, more consistent and generally easier and better experience for the users (even if it's WAY more expensive than it should be for taxpayers because of the lack of competition or accountability). Recreation.gov initially took a huge dip in quality and features when it was bought by Booz Allen (as was discussed in another thread I started to complain about it), but it seems to have vastly improved since then.

neek

neek
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 10:55 am 
Foist wrote:
(even if it's WAY more expensive than it should be for taxpayers because of the lack of competition or accountability)
Despite the bloat, there must be some huge economy of scale advantage with centralizing? Of course I would like to see as much money as possible go to actual park maintenance. But $182M doesn't seem all that big compared to a $12B work backlog or whatever it is now. And paying a ranger to spend 10 minutes going over rules with every single person hardly sounds cheap.
zimmertr wrote:
You won't have to wait in Marblemont because the nerds will inevitably just book all of the good dates/spots with software in the first 2 minutes they're available lol.
Time to start coding...

zimmertr
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 11:04 am 
I might be crazy but I don't see why a new joint team of salaried software engineers couldn't be hired to build and maintain a system like this under the direct jurisdiction of the NPS, USFS, BLM, etc. Payscale.com says the median annual compensation for a software engineer in the United States is $88,297. (Sidebar, why do they apply the word "average" to the median instead of the mean?) A team of 20 software engineers would then work full time, have a longterm stake in the success of the project, and bill $1.8MM annually. Rather than a 10 year commitment conducted by an organization with a revolving door of engineers simultaneously working multiple projects. And it could be funded for 100 years at the price Booze is charging for 10. (Disregarding changing salaries/inflation/whatever). Is spending all of this extra money for an inferior product worth having a "small government"?

Flickr | Strava

kw, Cyclopath
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 12:23 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
(Sidebar, why do they apply the word "average" to the median instead of the mean?)
Because "they" are the same ones who say infer when they mean imply, jive when they mean jibe, and hoard when they mean horde.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 1:03 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Let me tell you that just because a private company picks up the contract instead of a federal department, the waste absolutely does not go away. If anything, it gets worse because they bill higher. The number or projects I sat on where we billed thousands per hour to attend meetings and do virtually nothing else while we waited for paperwork to be shuffled around for weeks (or even months) was staggering.
Unfortunately I can attest to this, too.

BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 2:09 pm 
Quote:
All reservations and walk-up permits will cost $20 plus a non-refundable $6 transaction fee. Only debit or credit cards will be accepted, no cash.
Curious about this from the NCNP notice. Does this mean one will have to pay $26 even for in person walk-up permits? This seems to be different practice than in other parks that do walk ups (I'm thinking about getting a day permit for the White Rim Road in Canyonlands; there you pay the $6 fee if reserving online but don't have to pay if you show up day of). Might be different for backpacking permits I suppose.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Jan 28, 2022 2:20 pm 
I'm all for moving things to an online reservation system. But I do have some reservations, so to speak, about how susceptible Recreation.gov is to tech savvy folks who know how to game the system. There has been suspicion in the past about bots snatching up highly sought after permits. Hopefully this is something that has been addressed.

Joseph