Forum Index > Trail Talk > ticks in central wa?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pula58

pula58
PostTue Mar 22, 2022 11:37 am 
Untanum ridge, Untanum creek, and other Wenas Wildlife areas: Should we be concerned about ticks?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 22, 2022 12:14 pm 
King County in Western Washington has the most cases of Lyme disease. https://www.tickcheck.com/stats/state/washington/lyme

RichP

RichP
PostTue Mar 22, 2022 1:36 pm 
I've found them on me as early as Feb around Blewett Pass. I'm already starting to do a tick check after hikes now but haven't seen any so far this year. I haven't found ticks on me that I recall in sagebrush steppe like Umtanum but that doesn't mean they are not there.

Owler

Owler
PostTue Mar 22, 2022 2:35 pm 
Randito wrote:
King County in Western Washington has the most cases of Lyme disease. https://www.tickcheck.com/stats/state/washington/lyme
Makes sense as it has the most people. I also wonder how many of these cases are imported from elsewhere (e.g someone travels back to east coast, returns to WA and then tests positive).

Joseph
hbb

hbb
PostTue Mar 22, 2022 3:27 pm 
Randito wrote:
The most populous county will have the most reported cases, of course. But the reported distribution of Lyme disease suggests Clallam, Yakima, and Klickitat likely present the greatest risk: https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/surveillance/TickbornePathogens.html

Joseph
Toni

Toni
PostTue Mar 22, 2022 4:53 pm 
I've read recently they're hanging out at Snoquera Falls, of all Places!! I just ordered a big bottle of Cedarcide Insect spray, camping at Wanapum St Park for 5 days next month!!!

There is no Planet B
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Mar 22, 2022 5:26 pm 
FWIW: A long time ago, I camped at Potholes reservoir in Grant County -- my dog picked up dozens of ticks. It was quite a chore removing all of them from her. Lyme disease is most prevelant west of the crest. More info on tick borne illnesses in Washington https://doh.wa.gov/you-and-your-family/illness-and-disease-z/tick-borne-diseases#:~:text=Each%20year%2C%200%2D3%20cases,cases%20reported%20in%20the%20US. Bottom line -- there are ticks everywhere in the state. The overall risk isn't large. However, I know folks that picked up Lyme disease -- it really knocks you down -- not something you want to take chances with.

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostTue Mar 22, 2022 6:17 pm 
I usually wear tights and a long sleeve shirt year round. And make sure all my layers are tucked into one-another to help prevent ticks. (Allegedly they only crawl upwards?) I've only seen them two or three times in at least a thousand miles of hiking in the state. Not sure if I'm just lucky, my tuck method works, or they're not not that prevalent here. But one time I went on a 3 or 4 mile hike near Nashville with my sister and came back with about 20 ticks in my socks and all over my legs. It was a nightmare. And don't get me started on the ones in Northern Michigan somehow attaching themselves to my nether regions as a child. uhoh.gif

A. Hall

A. Hall
PostTue Mar 22, 2022 7:06 pm 
Just thought I'd say I've bushwhacked in the Leavenworth area a lot and have never gotten a tick over there. The only time I've ever gotten a tick was by crystal mountain when I was doing a day loop of crystal peak, chinook peak, three way peak, and silver king. My dad has also only ever gotten a tick in the middle fork snoqualmie area by floating rock mountain (green ridge lake area).

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Mar 23, 2022 5:47 am 
Well Albert consider yourself lucky then

mike

mike
PostWed Mar 23, 2022 9:09 am 
Our dog is a tick magnet. Starts Jan-Feb. We check after every walk and frequently find them. Mostly dead since she gets her meds.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostWed Mar 23, 2022 5:22 pm 
Picked one up @ Turnbull Wildlife Refuge this past Sunday. Have come home with several ticks after early May hikes out of Icicle River Road. That's the area I've experienced the most ticks in Central Washington Picked one up last February in Teanaway and a couple more in early spring in the same area

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 23, 2022 7:43 pm 
I have picked them up the Icicle Road and on East Shore of Ross Lake. Nothing compared to Central Cali coast. Even picked up ticks at the exclusive Furnace Creek Inn. Tons in New England up to the Saint Lawerence. Only advantage is doing a “Tick Check” with your partner.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RichP

RichP
PostSat Mar 26, 2022 10:57 am 
Got my first tick of the year a couple of days ago. East of the crest now that it's warming up over there. Check yourselves after hiking.

dixon

dixon
PostTue Mar 29, 2022 5:21 pm 
In the past few years had ticks from: Middle Fork - Stegosaurus Butte - Rainy lake Trail East - Kachess Ridge (seems like a bad infestation here) - Bean Creek area North Cascades - Sourdough Mountain (every time!) Rainier - Chinook Peak