Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Yurts on Mt Adams
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostFri Sep 08, 2023 11:44 am 
Here's another Forest Service plan that received very little public attention. Starting as soon as this winter, the Forest Service approved yurts to be constructed at Cold Springs Campground on the South side of Mt. Adams. A private concessionaire would run the yurts. This is much less invasive than the huts proposed at Mt. St. Helens as the yurts are temporary structures and would be removed in the Summer. They wouldn't require clearing a site and would use the existing campground toilet. The yurt proposal is discussed on page 5 and 6. This letter is not posted on the Forest Service website. I had to email them and request a copy, which they thankfully provided without requiring me to submit a formal FOIA request (which takes forever to process and typically costs money).

jaysway
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Sep 08, 2023 6:15 pm 
Yurts at Cold Springs sound awesome to me. I assume the operator will provide snowmobile or snowcat transport to the Yurt location (to where a folks drive their cars in the summer)

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Sep 09, 2023 6:55 am 
This made me remember an interesting old character, who would take "grannies" up the side of Adams as far as he could get by snowmobile. It was illegal, but he did it. I don't think it hurt or offended anyone.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostSat Sep 09, 2023 7:22 am 
treeswarper wrote:
This made me remember an interesting old character, who would take "grannies" up the side of Adams as far as he could get by snowmobile. It was illegal, but he did it. I don't think it hurt or offended anyone.
A number of years ago I hiked XC to the SE side of Mt. Adams. The amount of trash snowmobilers toss and litter was substantial. The yurts will encourage snowmobilers who don't have any respect for the law as to closed areas. They apparently aren't strong enough to carry out their own trash.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Sep 09, 2023 9:21 am 
Are you comparing grannies to trash? All groups leave trash. Hikers, bikers, snowmobilers, skiers, etc. all have rude folks who leave trash and poop behind. I would think that having established camps would help. At Randle, the berry/mushroom camps were a major problem. The money taken in for commercial permits was put to use. Part of it went in to renting a dumpster. Some went to garbage bags. Each permit buyer was advised of the location of the dumpster, the need for some kind of toilet facilities, and given garbage bags. The trash left behind decreased and the dumpster was used by them. Sometimes, it's a lack of facilities and communication. You might not like the idea of providing facilities, but it does help to have at the least, dumpsters, garbage bags, and information.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities

Ski
Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostSat Sep 09, 2023 10:14 am 
Isn't any one user group that leaves any more or less trash behind than any other. Slobs abound in every user group. And hikers and backpackers aren't buying gasoline like the snowmobilers and motorcycle riders.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Sep 09, 2023 10:47 am 
Given the frequency of discussions about the scourge of dog poop bags on hiking trails -- I'm mnot sure granola powered users have a lot of moral high ground. One would hope that the Yurt operator will organize a "clean up" operation in the spring with the volunteers being rewarded with first picks of dates for next season.

Ski
><((((ー>

Ski
><((((ー>
PostSat Sep 09, 2023 11:47 am 
Given the frequency of discussions about the scourge of dog poop bags on hiking trails hundreds of pounds of trash I've packed out of "hiker only" areas -- I'm not sure granola powered users have a lot of moral high ground. FIFY

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 8:09 am 
Ski wrote:
Isn't any one user group that leaves any more or less trash behind than any other.
I hear that backcountry skiers often leave orange peels in skin tracks. Is there anything worse?

altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 8:30 am 
Dog poop in the skin track

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 9:27 am 
Brown klister mad.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 9:45 am 
jaysway wrote:
I hear that backcountry skiers often leave orange peels in skin tracks. Is there anything worse?
Hikers with Bluetooth dog poop.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 4:33 pm 
Trash that sticks to your klister.