Forum Index > Trip Reports > 10-8-2023 Silver Moon 8252'~ye olde larch quest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Oct 11, 2023 9:12 pm 
Been a long while since I've posted a TR and I figured this one was worthy! It'd had also been a while since we had the boys together too, everything lined up and we decided on Silver Moon! rocker.gif I'd put this one on the backburner for long enough and wanted to do it during larch season, so it was set in stone! The boys and I soon found ourselves at the Cedar creek TH around 11pm Friday night. We pounded some brews before we got some much needed shut-eye. cheers.gif breakdance.gif The morning came before we knew it and we were on the move around 830am. The plan was to hit the Moon from where the outflow of Lk 7141' intersects the Cedar ck trail, about 5 miles up the trail. The trail is pretty cruiser the whole way and you don't even feel like you're gaining much elevation if any. I think we picked up 1300ft by the time we reached the outflow, and Cedar ck falls was pretty cool to check out along the way too! The little creek, more or less, is kinda easy to miss this time of year. The GPS helped out lol. Anyhow...around 4500' we stumbled up into the woods paralleling the creek on its east side, down low there was some minor dead fall to contend with. For the most part the forest was open and easy to navigate. At 6400' we began to see the first larches and decided to take a nice break. The stoke was high and whiskey drank, cheers! humpy.gif
Cedar creek falls
Cedar creek falls
Cedar ck burn
Cedar ck burn
some color down low
some color down low
these trees were quite bright
these trees were quite bright
the first larches behind Hans
the first larches behind Hans
After the break we pushed upward and onward keeping the creek within earshot. Before we knew it, we were in a badass little larch grove around 6800'! banana.gif This really felt like a special place and it stretched all the way up to the lake! It was an absolute pleasure taking our time through here! hink.gif All the white rocks are awesome around here too, reminds me of the Leavenworth area. Upon reaching Lk 7141' we were all in "chill mode", and the notion of hitting the peak that day went right out the window! rotf.gif We had all packed extra whiskey this trip so it was a unanimous decision to just set up camp and get sloshed. rocker.gif breakdance.gif It had taken us about 5hrs to get to camp at the usual pace. There was plenty of time to relax and take in some of the finest scenery a man can witness! As busy as the rest of this general area can be during larch season, it was awesome not seeing another soul the whole time out. moon.gif Eventually the sun set and the stars made a grand display. Shortly after we were all sound asleep in our bivies, bellies full.
gettin up there
gettin up there
slabs leading up to the kingdom
slabs leading up to the kingdom
now we're in it bois
now we're in it bois
fatty larches
fatty larches
golden land
golden land
oooowwwweeeee
oooowwwweeeee
lk 7141'
lk 7141'
Bryan arriving at camp
Bryan arriving at camp
time to celebrate
time to celebrate
degenerates
degenerates
cheers cutty
cheers cutty
evening closing in
evening closing in
The next morning dawned and we got a later start than planned, we left camp around 830am. From camp we headed up towards the SE ridge of Siver Moon, travel was kinda steep at times. It was easy to avoid all the loose stuff on the way up and eventually we located the reddish gully up higher around 7400'. Climbing up the gully was a little treacherous at times but if one sticks to climbers' right, it's not too bad. At the top of the gully we exited right onto a nice ledge system where the views were stellar! eek.gif This was where we all had a renewed sense of awe and the views just better and better! Fun rambling all the way up to the false summit! rocker.gif The views of Silverstar are top notch as well. From the false summit we got our first look at the friction slab one has to downclimb. It was definitely a little exposed and awkward. huh.gif I lead the way and probably looked a bit funny. I basically "au cheval-ed" down the slab, I definitely violated that section with everything I had lol. dizzy.gif I owe that thing dinner or something! hockeygrin.gif I did make it down, in a not so graceful manner and the boys soon followed. Definitely the crux of the trip, probably class 4ish. After that it was a done deal and we found ourselves on the summit at 930am, an hour from camp. Absolutely amazing views all around and a sweet scramble too! We relished in our bliss and lounged up there for an hour or so. banana.gif
morning light
morning light
looking down on the lake
looking down on the lake
the boys gettin a bit higher
the boys gettin a bit higher
Bryan in the gully
Bryan in the gully
exiting the top of the gully
exiting the top of the gully
the lake about 1000ft below
the lake about 1000ft below
almost to the false summit
almost to the false summit
true summit with Silverstar behind
true summit with Silverstar behind
the crux slab
the crux slab
summit success
summit success
snagtooth ridge and Silverstar
snagtooth ridge and Silverstar
Silverstar
Silverstar
Big snagtooth massif
Big snagtooth massif
looking back down at the lake again
looking back down at the lake again
yewwww
yewwww
Leaving the summit we weren't too excited to go back up the crux slab but it was way easier going up it! borank.gif After that it was a nice cruise all the way back down to camp. Some nice scree skiing was had as well. I enjoyed taking in the scenery and we got back to camp in about 30mins. hink.gif Chilled for about an hour, packed up camp, and were soon on our way back to the car. Time was 1230pm. Traveling back through the larch grove we took our sweet ass time to soak it all in one last time...it was hard to leave. humpy.gif Within a couple hours we had made it back down to the trail. 1.5hrs later we were at the car. Man what a trip! That spot is so cool and not so traveled either! One of the best larch trips I've been on, I love that area. Thanks goes out to Bryan and Hans for joining again, cheers my doods! Cheers to all my fellow NWhikers too! Great days to be alive. rocker.gif cheers.gif 16miles-ish 5200ft gain or do 1.5 days
B-dawg coming up the crux
B-dawg coming up the crux
get it
get it
what a day!!
what a day!!
down the gully
down the gully
amazing place
amazing place
departure with the Moon above
departure with the Moon above
golden as all hell
golden as all hell
can't wait til next year lol
can't wait til next year lol

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

NWtrax, LukeHelgeson, SeanSullivan86, Nancyann, RAW-dad, Kenji, Route Loser, mtn.climber, Theboywhocriedroute, Bramble_Scramble, jaysway, Lightning_bug, John Mac, Now I Fly, Prosit, rubywrangler, dave allyn, JasonK806, Tom, neek  geyer, awilsondc  KascadeFlat, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Oct 11, 2023 10:06 pm 
When I climbed Silver Moon we rapped off the summit. Did you not use rope?

ozzy
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Oct 13, 2023 6:35 pm 
Finally an ozzy report. I was getting the Joneses. lol.gif