Forum Index > Trip Reports > Friday PM Larch Hunting-Easy Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSun Oct 15, 2023 9:48 pm 
It was noon and I was tired of finance, which has bored me for over 35 years now. I decided to get in my overpriced EV and see how far I could go on the North Cascade Highway before having to turn around. I started with about 315 miles out of approx 400, but did not want to wait in line at Northgate to "top off" my "tank." I knew this would be risky if I wanted to get into larch territory. In any case, after the usual speeding, passing on double-yellow lines, honking, and weaving, I arrived at the Easy Pass TH before 3pm. I loaded some extra clothes, rain gear, and microspikes in case I got up there fast enough to ascend the Ragged Ridge. Despite some bouts of shutter delay and stopping briefly to say hello to the "Lonely Larch," I was at Easy Pass by a little after 4pm, which was what I was targeting when I left Seattle. The larches did not disappoint, but were a little past peak for those thinking of going. I had plenty of time to dilly-dally around, and I took a lot of pictures. My legs felt pretty good, and the ridge looked great, so I decided to ascend to at least the false summit of Honeymoon Hump, and perhaps the summit. I was also looking toward Graybeard. I also noticed the clouds parting just slightly, but still shrouding the tops of both ridges. Thus, there would be no honeymoon, as I did not feel like scrambling the mixed rock and snow for no view. False summit was good enough. On the way down, I stopped for a good 10 minutes to keep Lonely Larch company.

Anne Elk, kw, Bowregard, thename, Now I Fly, jaysway, reststep, SeanSullivan86, Waterman, John Mac, Bramble_Scramble  geyer
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostSun Oct 15, 2023 10:47 pm 
nice shot of eldorado and boston. your pace is still lightning fast. i assume the car returned without issue. always fun to see the guess-o-meter dwindle downward as you're heading up a mountain pass!

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Oct 16, 2023 5:25 am 
I was up there myself this weekend. Hunting was very good this year thanks to the cool weather

seattlehikertoo

seattlehikertoo
PostSun Oct 22, 2023 1:13 pm 
I am almost 57 now-still young for NW Hikers, but slower and sometimes have pain. The latter means from time to time, I turn around since I am solo most of the time...Car made it. Got about 2 miles for every "mile" the car showed on the way back to Marblemount. Then, it was less than 1 to 1

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Oct 22, 2023 4:25 pm 
Way to get that one in!

Eric Eames