Forum Index > Trip Reports > Clackamas, Maple Mountain, and other peaks 11/10-12/2023
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Nov 13, 2023 10:53 am 
On Saturday I went up Clackamas Mountain. Went up Sweat Creek Trail, and then over to Maple Mountain following a faint trail in the snow. Snow started around 4700 feet. At the top it got around ankle heighth. Some wind. Then went over a subsummit and found a Fay Pullen register under the highest snow. Then over to Clackamas Mountain and then down. The trail from about 4400 feet and down from Clackamas is not what is shown on the map. I don't know the true route. I lost it. Went cross country eventually finding the trail next to Sweat Creek. I spent time doing other peaks over the three days. Coco Mountain heinous cross country from the north Cornell Butte road was terrible the last 200 meters. stopped short. Did the 5096 point too Little Bonaparte from the east Mount Annie parked at 4878 corner due to snow Maple Mountain faint trail in snow Peak 5280 found Fay register Clackamas Mountain lost trail many times. near the bottom was going cross country Storm King Mountain took ridge from the south Klondike Mountain found road behind Republic cemetery to top. rough. Might be easier roads on the north side. Houses near top Peak 4160 easy up at quarry Quartz Mountain had to wallk from 4300 feet due to ice on road Brown Mountain parked at 3240+, cross country, then open slopes Peak 4944 went through an open gate. passed homes. stopped on road a point then cross country Peak 5216 stopped by snow around 4305. Walked the rest of the way Also noticed peak 5208 northeast of Cayuse Mountain on the map. It has a col which is measured at 4802. That means Peak 5208 has over 400 feet of clean prominence even though the contours don't show it. Which then makes me think about the surveying of the TOP 100 peaks. Are the cols being measured too for prominence?

Art is an adventure.

raising3hikers, RichP, Matt
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message