Forum Index > Gear Talk > Eddie Bauer bad experience
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 15, 2024 5:32 pm 
I buy a lot of my clothes at Eddie Bauer, particularly their outlets, because they have a pretty good tall collection in the style I wear. Once in a while they come out with some decent gear for the backcountry. In early December I needed to replace my rain shell and went on their website and found what I was looking for & ordered it. It was shown as being in stock and would ship immediately. After I placed my order, I got a confirmation email and it said it would ship sometime in February. I went back online to cancel and there was no option to do that. I summoned the chat support and they said I couldn't cancel the order - I had to wait to recieve it and then return it. I looked at my credit card statement to-date this month and discovered they had charged my credit card on Jan 8. They charged it again on Jan 14 and shortly after that reimbursed the second charge. I immediately got on the phone to customer support at some foreign call center and, after some wait, finally managed to cancel the order. About an hour later I received an email stating that they could not fulfill the order because it was out of stock. I'll never use Eddie Bauer's website again. I found a large/tall (the only one they had) at the REI flagship store. Not the color I would prefer but at least I have one.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Jan 15, 2024 5:40 pm 
I'm sorry to hear that, because EB is one of the few places on the planet where they consistently have tall-but-not-big sizes. Never had an experience like yours. frown.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 15, 2024 6:17 pm 
Hmm, only great experiences so far ordering from EB. I picked up a couple 1000 fill down jackets, excellent values, you can't touch them anywhere for the price when they go on sale at 50% off. I bought this jacket at 40% off when they released it just before Thanksgiving to try out, and was planning to rebuy when they had a 50% off sale. I picked up some EB gift cards at 15% off to save even more. The stars aligned when they sent me a 10% off coupon for my birthday and it went on sale at 50% off this week. Alas, they are sold out of my size! https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/38832961/macrotherm-hooded-down-jacket If anyone wants this jacket I'd be happy to purchase it for you with my gift cards and birthday coupon. Sale ends tonight. Cost would be $193 shipped after gift card discounts and sales tax. That's insane for a hooded down jacket with 4.4oz of 1000 fill down.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 11:25 am 
Tom wrote:
If anyone wants this jacket I'd be happy to purchase it for you with my gift cards and birthday coupon. Sale ends tonight. Cost would be $193 shipped after gift card discounts and sales tax.
I paid $275 for mine. I've been wanting a second, and I would love to post $193 for it! 🙂

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 2:33 pm 
Unfortunately the 50% off sale ended last night and they only have one of those sales every other month, but if it comes up again before my birthday reward expires I'll let you know. Montbell also has some amazing deals on 1000 fill jackets if you order from their Japanese website. Just be sure to size up 1 to account for differences in Japanese sizing. Their plasma 1000 hoody is around $250 vs. $490 on the US site. See comments in the reddit thread. https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/comments/17unmin/eddie_bauer_macrotherm_1020_fill_hooded_down/ The EB macrotherm jacket has an extra ounce of fill so will be the warmer jacket, albeit a few ounces heavier. I didn't think I would like the green but it really looks good in person and matches my sleeping bag.

uww
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 2:46 pm 
I already have one. I have a few of the 1000 fill power Microtherms too, and a 1000 fill power Arc'teryx Cerium SV. I want a second Macrotherm as a spare, but don't need one. 🙂 I have a feeling it'll go on sale around $180 in the spring. I agree, the John Deere green looks pretty nice in person. I wish it had an elasticated hem. Otherwise it's perfect.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 2:53 pm 
Here's the 1000 FP Microtherm. It's ideal for hiking. There are uninsulated cold spots behind the shoulder blades (men's version only) that makes the jacket breathe. https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/38832943/men's-microtherm-1000-down-hoodie?sp=1&color=Chartreuse
Here's me skiing in mine, at -5F, with a pack.
I've had mine since 2020. It's held up well.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 3:35 pm 
Yeah, I picked up the Microtherm 1000, but was concerned about those uninsulated cold spots. Debating whether to keep it, looks great on me and love the stretch around the shoulders, but I really don't have problems staying warm while hiking, and worried it won't work well to extend the range of my sleeping bag or as a camp piece with those potential cold spots. How well do you find the Microtherm works in camp?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 6:24 pm 
Wow, you guys are spoiled, I could never get myself to spend that much on gear. I have a Mountain Hardwear down jacket I bought from a member here for $50, had a hole in the sleeve that was patched with tape and a $100 Marmot Helium bag in great shape for $100. But more power to you guys, I can afford all that too but I have an aversion to spending money, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 16, 2024 6:51 pm 
I'm about as frugal as you can get but have no issues investing ~$200 for a premium light weight down hoodie. Sometimes you get what you pay for. I started out looking at a MH ghost whisperer hoodie. Hated it. Hardly any insulation and too tight around the shoulders. I do like the MH ghost whisperer down pants though, particularly since they come in long sizes. Trust me, there is no comparison between that macrotherm jacket and anything you can pick up for $50, with or without holes. Maybe if you bought two of those jackets with holes and layered, but then you're at $100 and your pack is weighing an extra 8 oz or more. No thanks! Pay the extra $100.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 1:25 am 
L L Bean has tall sizes in just about everything. Online has updated status on out of stock size/colors. Standard (free) shipping from Maine takes a while longer to Seattle. They have a hooded down sweater that’s the perfect weight for layering system. It’s 850 down fill with a Pertex shell. XXL Tall is 13.9 ounces (my scale) The Ghost Whisper has ~ 2.5 ounces of 800 fill down and is claimed to be 9 ounces.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 7:31 am 
InFlight wrote:
L L Bean has tall sizes in just about everything.
I've used them a time or two. Sadly, Denver is the closest store where I could see the wares before buying, so they're not quite as convenient as EB.

Cyclopath
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 10:59 am 
Tom wrote:
Debating whether to keep it, ..., but I really don't have problems staying warm while hiking
We all hike on super cold days sometimes. When it's 20F on a larch march, this is ideal.
Tom wrote:
love the stretch around the shoulders
Your mileage may vary, but I find the Macrotherm and Cerium don't restrict my ability to move. I wouldn't keep it for the stretch alone.
Tom wrote:
How well do you find the Microtherm works in camp?
It's complicated: * When it's very cold you can feel the heat leaving through the fleece * Wind cuts right through it. * If I wear a down vest underneath, they stop being cold spots. Sometimes I do the vest thing because it's the right temp for hiking in a fleece and down vest. But usually not. I bought the other jackets because the Macrotherm is an extra ounce of down without having to carry another zipper and nylon shell and all the stitching. But I'll overheat hiking in the Macrotherm or Cerium.
Tom wrote:
extend the range of my sleeping bag
Personally I would go with the Cerium for sleeping in due to the fit, but the Macrotherm would be a great choice too. And I don't think you can find the 1000 FP Cerium anymore. So it sounds like the Macrotherm is perfect for you. The main reasons I bought mine are to have a warm puffy without the cold spots, and for the color. But you should also keep the Microtherm and I'm sure you'll find yourself using it when it's the best choice.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 2:20 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'm about as frugal as you can get...
Lol, hold my beer! drink.gif I get your point though and thanks for the info on the Ghost Whisperer coat, I was interested in it.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
contour5

contour5
PostWed Jan 17, 2024 9:48 pm 
Ghost Whisperer is an excellent piece for what it is: a marginally insulated windbreaker. The hood is awesome, if your head is shaped exactly like mine. Worn under a rain shell, while holding an umbrella, it provides the perfect hooded, insulating mid-layer! I have proven this in the field!

InFlight, Chief Joseph