Snowshovel
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 10:16 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 10:23 am 
I would guess that their financials are just pretty lean given that they're a co-op. (Someone smarter than me will hopefully provide financials to support/refute that). But I have noticed that their software salaries are significantly lower than market rate the few times they've tried to recruit me.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 12:12 pm 
Their haven't been profitable for some time (since 2022) and they're trying to fix that. It's hard to believe REI is struggling when so many Americans are living in tents.

Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 12:36 pm 
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 12:39 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
It's hard to believe REI is struggling when so many Americans are living in tents.
Walmart https://www.walmart.com/browse/sports-outdoors/camping-tents/4125_546956_4128_887708_2294923

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 1:03 pm 
REI has closed a lot of stores lately too. They've raised the prices for ski and bike work. This used to be a loss leader for them, they under priced this kind of work but it got people to buy a lot of expensive tires and wax, and people would shop while they had drop in work done. They've raised these prices to reflect market cost.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 4:00 pm 
It's obviously because REI sucks. down.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Josh Journey
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 4:25 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
I would guess that their financials are just pretty lean given that they're a co-op.
REI hasn't been a "real" co-op for decades. PCC isn't a true co-op, either. It would take too long to explain why not, but they're not. Giving a small discount to "members" just doesn't cut it. Even Fred Meyer does that, with their "rewards" cards. I rarely shop at REI any longer except for equipment (once in a blue moon I'll pick up a garment on sale or in their returns section). PCC is just unaffordable, period.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood

sarbar, Cyclopath, zimmertr
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 5:08 pm 
I was all set to purchase a tent from them but no I would have to join their club in order to make what would likely be a one time purchase, O well, their loss.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

catsp
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 7:09 pm 

Chief Joseph
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 8:34 pm 
Consumer co-ops at great scale are a funny beast. An equal vote for officers of the Board and a dividend, and hey, you're a co-op. One can make the case that REI goes above and beyond as a co-op by aiming to ensure a consistent dividend, regardless of net income. While they make a big fuss over commitment to employees, as TJ observed, wages are low yet prices are high. It ends up being the same story as a business of any organizational model. Financials are not lean by design (nor must they be in co-ops), they are simply struggling. REI is poorly managed and has been for a long time. If you know any organizational leadership and systems thinking consultants (and there are more than enough in Seattle), they have probably worked with REI. And they are unlikely to give a stellar review. I still enjoy the place myself.

graywolf, Cyclopath, zimmertr
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 8:47 pm 
After 10% dividend, I'm not sure their pricing is worse than anywhere else, especially for brands that don't allow discounts. Combine that with a 1-year return policy, even if you have used the gear and that's pretty much unbeatable. When REI has sales I would say it's pretty much a no-brainer to buy your gear there with the return policy. I don't understand why people complain about REI so much. Probably the best retailer I've ever purchased gear from, and super convenient if you need something quick and they have it in store or if you want to return something. When they are gone people will lament what a good thing it was as opposed to the nauseating not a co-op mantra.

jackchinook, seawallrunner, solohiker, RichP, day_hike_mike, Carbonj, graywolf, Route Loser, dave allyn, zimmertr, GaliWalker
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 9:05 pm 
^ I couldn’t agree more!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 9:16 pm 
Don't get me wrong, I love buying things from REI. I'm just saying if I worked for them I dunno if I could still afford to. /s Also it's up to 15% cash back if you use their credit card. 😉

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jan 26, 2024 10:20 pm 
When I was a relatively poor college kid and just started accumulating hiking gear, prices at REI did seem somewhat outrageous but I would say that in general for hiking gear. In hindsight, it's not really a huge expense because how much gear do you actually buy in a lifetime? OK, I splurged on a kayak, paddles, and related kayak gear which set me back several grand and pretty much sat in my closet/garage ever since, but legit hiking gear like sleeping bags, jackets, pants, backpacks, tents, boots, poles, socks, shirts, stoves, etc. I doubt I've spent much more than 10 grand, ok maybe 20 If I think about everything. Pretty small expense relative to other purchases like houses, cars, computers, cameras, phones, gas, food, etc. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it, but anyone can get thrifty, even at REI.

Josh Journey, dave allyn