Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 12:25 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Tom wrote:
everyone pretty much respects everyone else,
There was to be a SAR volunteer who used to post here until the sexism drove her away.
The sexism [here]? That's a bit of a loaded statement and unfair characterization.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 6:15 pm 
Tom wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
Tom wrote:
everyone pretty much respects everyone else,
There was to be a SAR volunteer who used to post here until the sexism drove her away.
The sexism [here]? That's a bit of a loaded statement and unfair characterization.
Yeah, not convinced there's sexism here. I have only been called "hoser," "loser," "dumbass." None of those are women-specific.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert

Stefan
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 9:11 pm 
Sexist, racist, homophobic, you name it, it's been posted here, it's an internet forum. As a common theme I would say no, it's relatively tame here. Mcaver and I have always felt it important to promote inclusive values, but most of the credit goes to the initial nucleus of folks that set the tone. I remember one of the early discussions, regarding the use of the word touron. Of course there are heated discussions and disagreements, some that ultimately lead to people moving on. Can we do better? Sure. I think most here know what this place is and what it isn't.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 22, 2024 7:32 am 
I have left some otherwise knowledgeable forums because I just couldn't take the posting of big boobies. I guess it is a man thing to want to frequently see those but for women, it just does seem to be insulting, and tiresome. I seem to remember a bit of that on here too.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostThu Feb 22, 2024 8:47 am 
sarbar wrote:
I'd rather buy my gear on Amazon (which I do). They are jerks also, but at least pay their technology side quite well. Stock options sent my butt to Antarctica, Sea of Cortez, and Alaska, so I am not complaining. They at least pay well on the side that makes all the money.
There’s some situational ethics for ya. Amazon pays tech well because the market demands such. They beat the warehouse because the market allows it, so far.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Feb 22, 2024 11:21 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
Stefan wrote:
Reality is relative. Your reality is different than mine. Doesn't make either wrong. Different.
I have no problem with your reality. I have a problem when you use yours to negate the experience of others.
Maybe we are playing semantics here. Can you please show me the post where I communicated the actual word yours and while not referring to my own reality?

Art is an adventure.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Feb 22, 2024 12:23 pm 
Speaking of "Tourons"...
Glacier park today
Glacier park today

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Feb 23, 2024 8:04 am 
Maybe they are carrying a couple of spikes to help them out after a polar dip? I learned about spike carrying whilst living in ice fishing paradise, the Lake Superior area. Nope, never got into that. I didn't want the hassle of an ice fishing shack and being out in the open or in a tent just looked cold. I think you have to have been born there to enjoy that. Ice fishing shacks have to have a number painted on them and be pulled off the ice by a certain date.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Feb 23, 2024 8:30 am 
Sometimes those shacks have heaters and even cots inside them. We used to drive out to them in full sized cars and trucks. 🐻‍❄️