Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Big Brother might not be watching, but your insurance company is 03/11/24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 6:57 am 
Big Brother might not be watching, but your insurance company is.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 10:25 am 
Sale of such data in Washington is barred by RCW 46.35.030 unless the vehicle owner "explicitly grants permission".

Josh Journey, Ski
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 12:43 pm 
My brother's insurance company takes data from his phone to adjust his rates for good driving. He got a couple of warnings though for sudden stops while we were skiing.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 1:22 pm 
Yet another case of too much technology. A friend bought a newer Subaru a few years ago with the lane correction feature. He was frequently multi-tasking so he would frequently swerve a bit and the auto correct feature would kick in with an audible beep. I commented to him that if he ever was in an accident, the cars auto steering correct data could possibly be used against him in court in the event of an accident.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
mike

mike
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 3:29 pm 
must be a way to prevent phoning home... data is probably still in the black box tho

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 11, 2024 5:01 pm 
^ my best wild guess would be that they've got it hard-wired into the vehicle's CPU so you can never really get rid of it... you might be able to toggle it off temporarily, but I'm guessing it's there, and you're not going to be able to get rid of it... kind of like "Windows Edge".

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 3:40 pm 
Tesla collects a ginormous amount of data on nearly everything its cars "see" and do. They use all that info to train their AI self-driving program(s). An owner might not necessarily buy/use the self-driving feature but I don't think inputs to TeslaBorg can be deactivated. The whole car is a computer. Given Musk's turn of mind on such things I'm gonna guess Tesla car driving info isn't shared with data brokers but I'm just guessing. What say you Tesla fan boys and girls?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostTue Mar 12, 2024 3:46 pm 
Thanks for posting this. (Original NYT article is here.) I went to Subaru's privacy page to opt out of them collecting and selling data about me and provide the data they already have. This article definitely gives me pause about any interest I had in a Bolt...

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Mar 13, 2024 9:52 am 
I don't mind if they shared the information....ONLY IF MY INSURANCE RATES WOULD GO UP OR DOWN BECAUSE OF MY DRIVING INFORMATION. But because rates ONLY go UP because of the information...then I think its a crappy thing.

Art is an adventure.

Anne Elk
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Mar 13, 2024 10:14 am 
This is the same information the State wants to use to charge for road taxes in place of gas taxes.

Ski
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Mar 13, 2024 11:23 pm 
I deviated from the baseware software systems via a big time solution. I paid big for the MAIN AI SOLUTION. This has enabled me to collect Large Dividends based on Internet Presence alone. To clarify, I have broken free from the data systems in the baseware systems!!