Forum Index > Gear Talk > Anyone tried one of the New WaterProof sleeping bags?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
I_See
NWH Wannabe

I_See
NWH Wannabe
PostWed Jan 05, 2005 11:04 pm 
Mountain Hardwares new line... a bit pricey, but worth it?? Expedition series bags

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 05, 2005 11:26 pm 
Looks kinda heavy. For that kind of money you might as well get a quality bag, like Western Mountaineering.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jan 06, 2005 1:39 am 
I would add Valandre, MontBell and Feathered Friends bags to that short list. This is my opinion of the high-end down sleeping bag pecking order: Valandre FF/Western MontBell Pro Mountain has Valandre, MontBell, and Western, and FF is a local company. Sleeping bag review here, note the weight discrepancies too. All of the MH bags I have used ( not the line you ask about) were nice, but not as nice as others at the same price point.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostThu Jan 06, 2005 10:41 am 
Most of the better down bags come with a water resistant outer fabric. The shell fabric on mine is epic, and it works really well. Water beads up on the surface long enough for me to shake it off or blot it up with a sock or a pack towel. For $50 more than the Mountain Hardware bags you're looking at you can buy a custom sleeping bag from Feathered Friends. Made to your specs - length, girth, shape, color, shell fabric, fill weight...

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jan 06, 2005 11:56 am 
I_See wrote:
Mountain Hardwares new line... a bit pricey, but worth it??
Regarding waterproofidity: I've checked out a Mountainsmith Vision with the Purtex shell. As with the Mountain Hardware Phantom (featured in Marylou's article) the down is visible through the skin of the Vision. If bugs are not an issue, I prefer to skip the bivy tent and sleep exposed on clear nights. So, for a test, I slept out on the back lawn when a drenching dew and heavy frost was in the works. I was completely satisfied with the treated shell's ability to bead water. In the morning, I balled the bag up, attempting to wet out the skin. It didn't happen. I got a lot of water on the kitchen floor, but the skin didn't wet out and the down didn't mat. Regarding cost: It sounds like you may be shopping a little higher on the performance/cost continuum than I was. When I got to +15F/800(750cert)/31oz/$180, I called it good. I was fortunate that this bag fit me well. A good deal isn't so good if you're too cramped or swimming in excess air space.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
I_See
NWH Wannabe

I_See
NWH Wannabe
PostThu Jan 06, 2005 10:43 pm 
Water-resistance is top priority for me, as i will be spending several months in the Olympic area this Summer. I know from experience that while there, EVERYTHING eventually gets damp, so what I'm looking for in a bag is: Something that will fend off the damp for as LONG as possible Warm enough for the higher regions. and As with any long journey like this, as l i g h t as possible................. Checking on the Mountainsmith line right now.

I_See
NWH Wannabe

I_See
NWH Wannabe
PostThu Jan 06, 2005 11:16 pm 
Here's a Sierra Desings... ... anyone tried one of these??

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 12:15 am 
I think that Marmot bags should be included in the list. Ive owned many from each company, (Western, Feathered F. and Marmot) and Im my opinion Western Mountaineering makes the better bag. FF next and then Marmot. You cant really go wrong either way.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 12:20 am 
If you want to go synthetic, you really want to get a Primaloft bag. For a number of reasons, it's the best name-brand synthetic in town. Check this one out, a small CDN company making nice bags. Integral Designs

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 1:54 am 
I'll give an endorsement for Integral Designs. They make really good quality down bags as well as the synthetic ones.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 3:47 am 
i just picked up a mountainsmith wisp ($162, 1-1/2lbs, +30f, 750+ fill down) and am really happy with it, it uses a fabric called demention polyant airnet that is very water resistant. i tested it by spraying water on it, the drops bead up and roll off instantly. packs down to the size of a football too smile.gif

I_See
NWH Wannabe

I_See
NWH Wannabe
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 2:47 pm 
Wow, I can't believe so many people are tossing a vote for Mountainsmith. The bag I have now is a Mountainsmith, and I always kind of thought it was kind of low on quality. I'm looking at all your recomendations, thnx for your input everyone! wink.gif

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 8:08 pm 
Let me be clear. The MS bag I have is low quality (in relation to the manufacturers mentioned earlier in this thread.) For my typical fair weather hit-and-run trips, a $350 bag just doesn't pencil out. But if I were going to spend June in the Olympics (with a down shakehead.gif bag) I'm not sure I'd be as cost sensitive.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
I_See
NWH Wannabe

I_See
NWH Wannabe
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 8:43 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
Let me be clear. The MS bag I have is low quality (in relation to the manufacturers mentioned earlier in this thread.) For my typical fair weather hit-and-run trips, a $350 bag just doesn't pencil out. But if I were going to spend June in the Olympics (with a down shakehead.gif bag) I'm not sure I'd be as cost sensitive.
Understood. Yeah I had already abandoned the idea of a down bag. So far the Integral Designs looks best to me. If you were I, Jimmymac, what would you go with...

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Jan 07, 2005 9:13 pm 
I haven't done any homework on a bag that'll serve your purposes. The beauty is, you have lots of time to scratch out a little matrix and compare what's out there. If you'd prefer to just go with the recommendations of a trusted consultant, then I'd take a good look at what Marylou and Hiker Boy have suggested.