Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > pay increase
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Justan

Justan
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 12:45 pm 
Not that it likely happens often but what is a typical amount folks get when they get a pay increase? I mean by % increase not actual amount. Is there a typical amount or formula for this? TIA

-Justan Elk
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 1:17 pm 
Justan wrote:
Not that it likely happens often but what is a typical amount folks get when they get a pay increase? I mean by % increase not actual amount. Is there a typical amount or formula for this? TIA
Mostly a cost of living (2% to 4%) the last few years. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 1:24 pm 
Over the last 3 years I average 3.0% pay increases in the finance/consulting world as a peon. Prior to that I was in the aerospace union where the increases followed a formula -- minimum increase (1-2%), and a merit increase -- too complicated to explain that. I think ideally that increases should tie to inflation, but oftentimes it does not. My observations are that increases depend on the industry you work in, the type of work you're doing, and how well the company is faring. Lots of data and cross-sectional analysis going on there to determine 'appropriate' increases. Maybe someone with a compensation background could comment.

Always take the scenic route.
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 3:12 pm 
Union... read the contract. Non Union... depends on a million factors. From a 'corporate budgeting' perspective, it is typical for a company to budget an overall raise %... expecting that the average raise will be somewhat close for all the employees taken as a whole. When it comes down to determining what an individual persons raise will be for that year, again, it depends on a million factors. In my personal experience, when I've started a new job, my first few raises were typically much more than the 'standard cost of living' figures that I expected, but as time goes on, they would tend to gradually decrease toward the cost of living number. If you are new to a job, inquire with your co-workers about what typically happens in your company. Of course, depending on your relationship with your boss, it might be best just to be direct and inquire with him(her). Unless you have a strong position/support/evidence to demand a raise, I would just expect a reasonable 2-3% increase... unless you are already being paid higher than your 'market value'... then don't expect anything.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 3:24 pm 
2%

Art is an adventure.
polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 3:29 pm 
Lately, between 3 and 5 %

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
qm1pooh
navigator

qm1pooh
navigator
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 6:08 pm 
This year in the Navy 3.5% My best was during the Clinton Years -1999- 6.2% ( That was with the Paygrade adjustment)

Nomad

Nomad
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 6:12 pm 
This year our groups "average" is expected to be around 4%.

"Of all the fire mountains which, like beacons, once blazed along the Pacific Coast, Mount Rainier is the noblest." - John Muir "If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." - Anatole France
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 6:25 pm 
I hiked with a manager from Microsoft last fall. He told me he gave a guy in his group a 42% increase last year. Dude was a friggin' hero, man.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm 
I work for the state and haven't gotten any kind of a raise in a couple of years. bawl.gif Maybe this year? confused.gif Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 10:30 pm 
3-4% on an average year, only 2% this year (cheep)

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 10:46 pm 
No raise of any kind for four years in a row. So I guess that's one quarter of zero percent.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 10:08 am 
Whoops, spoke too soon. I just got my paycheck for January, and it includes a 20% pay raise. The other manager got 10%, and I made 10% less before this, so now we are equal. up.gif So, 4 years divided by 20%, that's 5% per year. But it actually works out to a bit less than that, because at 5% per year I would have had extra money incrementally these last few years. But I'm sure not complaining! biggrin.gif They say that hard work and dedication pays off, and this raise proves "them" to be complete idiots. lol.gif