Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dorothy Lake January 28, 2005
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TomTrimbath

TomTrimbath
PostFri Jan 28, 2005 5:38 pm 
Ah, it was nice to see the trail free of snow and only slightly moist. Pity I only got to see the first hundred feet or so. I was too tired to do more after two hours of hiking up the damaged road. The winter has not been kind to the road. It has been damaged worse so I suspect they'll be able to repair it, but in the meantime driving to the trailhead involves a few skinny downed trees, a few water cut gouges, and at least three potholes that were deeper than they were wide. I was able to drop about a foot of my ski pole down one but couldn't hit bottom because the subterranean hole veered off. I wouldn't want to drive my car over that. Most of the road from the mudslide to the trailhead was covered with an inch or two of snow. There were enough expanses of gravel to make skiing frustrating. I clomped along on snowshoes and was glad for their traction. Some of the snow was very icy. The flora and fauna seemed to be doing okay. There were lots of critter tracks in the snow and I seem to recall a few buds forming on the branches of deciduous trees. For the most part it was a nice, quiet day spent walking through a melting forest. Not very picturesque but appealing in its own way.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostFri Jan 28, 2005 5:54 pm 

TomTrimbath

TomTrimbath
PostFri Jan 28, 2005 6:38 pm 
miller river road mud slide
How far did I drive up the Miller River road? Well, its not like there's a street address, but it is after the Group camp and before the bridge. If you need more specifics I'll go pull data out of my GPS.

-lol-

-lol-
PostSat Jan 29, 2005 10:56 am 

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jan 29, 2005 11:47 am 
Picturesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss! TB doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
TomTrimbath

TomTrimbath
PostSat Jan 29, 2005 1:14 pm 
Snow along W Fork Miller
Snow varied from 0 to 4 inches with most of it about a firm slushy inch. I suspect a slight turn with a cross country ski would be scouring through gravel. As for pictures, the only ones I have are of the openings into the subterranean sink holes developing in the road.
pothole photo (would USFS want this?)
pothole photo (would USFS want this?)

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Jan 29, 2005 5:40 pm 
First off, welcome to the site! Always great to see new members posting Trip Reports... Second, thanks for the Trip Report...road conditions are half the battle this time of year, whether it's dealing with blowdowns or with unplowed snowdrifts, knowing how close one can get to the trailhead is hugely important. So thanks for suffering through the 2 hours of roadwalk and reporting back. Enjoy the board!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short