Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Computer monitor question.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 1:47 pm 
Ive got a (four year old) Sony 21" flat screen CRT. This morning I just noticed a black line that is three inches long at the right end goes 90 degree up for a 1/4". This thing is at around the 10pm position on the screen. I turned the monitor off and on and refreshed it. I cant seem to get rid of it. Any experiences with this crap? HERE Is the screen dump! Tom

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 3:14 pm 
Sounds strange. Can you borrow someone else's monitor and try it out to make sure its the monitor and not something else like the video card, or aliens?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 5:40 pm 
May be related to the stabilizing wires. All Trinitrons have a horizontal line across them -- 21" monitors have two of them, actually -- where the pixels are a little dimmer than the rest. This is an artifact of Sony's aperture grille design. Sounds like the line you're describing is vertical, though... I'm not sure what that might be if it is.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 5:45 pm 
The way Sony's of that age are made, there are two horizontal wires across the screen. Each abour 1/3 of the way from top/bottom. If your line is very thin (1 pixel) this is what it is. It is most notable on a white screen. It hilds the grid together. The description is vague. Also, how old is your video card. If it is as old as the monitor, it may be going out.

hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 5:46 pm 
Looks like 2 of us made the same comment at the same time!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 5:57 pm 
<grin> Yep. I had a lot of big old Trinitrons in my day. Always hated those support lines, but you eventually learn to tune them out. Now it's dual 20" LCDs all the way. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 6:07 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
<grin> Yep. I had a lot of big old Trinitrons in my day. Always hated those support lines, but you eventually learn to tune them out. Now it's dual 20" LCDs all the way. wink.gif
Thanks guys. This ISNT that horizontal line you are describing. I have that too certainly. This baby is thick and very pronounced. It is just below the light horizontal jobber. As for LCD's, there refresh rate isnt good enough for the occasional first person shooters I like to play. Some day I suppose. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 9:24 pm 
A strange but true story. A person I used to work with would play practical jokes on me. One day I go to use my computer and everywhere I move the mouse cursor, it left behind a trail of pink dots that wouldn't disappear until I rebooted. I accused him of playing another joke, but he denied it. After a few days of this I finally believed him. It turned out the computer had a bad video card. . . .... .. ... . .

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 10:05 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ive got a (four year old) Sony 21" flat screen CRT. This morning I just noticed a black line that is three inches long at the right end goes 90 degree up for a 1/4". This thing is at around the 10pm position on the screen. I turned the monitor off and on and refreshed it. I cant seem to get rid of it. Any experiences with this crap? Tom
I've been running dual 21'' Sony Trinitron G520s for about a year now. I just replaced my video card about a month ago. My problem was when I was watching DVDs, my screen would turn into what I would call the Matrix. All of a sudden I would get this graph pattern with lines of fluorescent green pixels flickering. Most of the time if I rebooted it, it would just disappear. Then one day it was permanent. Thats when I tried my old card and discovered my problem. Anyways thats my story and I'm sticking to it. My suggestion is the same as touron's. Good Luck!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 10:37 pm 
naturealbeing wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ive got a (four year old) Sony 21" flat screen CRT. This morning I just noticed a black line that is three inches long at the right end goes 90 degree up for a 1/4". This thing is at around the 10pm position on the screen. I turned the monitor off and on and refreshed it. I cant seem to get rid of it. Any experiences with this crap? Tom
I've been running dual 21'' Sony Trinitron G520s for about a year now. I just replaced my video card about a month ago. My problem was when I was watching DVDs, my screen would turn into what I would call the Matrix. All of a sudden I would get this graph pattern with lines of fluorescent green pixels flickering. Most of the time if I rebooted it, it would just disappear. Then one day it was permanent. Thats when I tried my old card and discovered my problem. Anyways thats my story and I'm sticking to it. My suggestion is the same as touron's. Good Luck!
Army Tanks. I hope my ATI 9800XT isnt bad already!!! HERE IS THE SCREEN DUMP! TB

mb

mb
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 10:48 pm 
have you rebooted your computer? might be a windows oddity.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 11:15 pm 
Doesn't look like the monitor. Or the card. Have you tried another pic for the background...?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 11:15 pm 
Also make sure to turn on and off your monitor.

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 11:35 pm 
That black line as you call it looks like an effect you can create in some graphics software programs. Is there a chance that some how you edited your desk top photo by accident? Let me explain the technic that I think we might be seeing. In Photoshop you can use a rectangle lasso tool to select a rectangle to edit. Once you have done that you can copy and paste that on your image then select layer effects and then add a drop shadow. This is what that looks like to me. Also the rectangle is the same shape and color of your desk top and so this is why two sides of the rectangle would blend in and there would only be a shadow on two sides. Do you follow me?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 11:41 pm 
Still there with a different backround. Ill shut her down and see tomarrow when I boot her up. Thanks for the help. TB