Forum Index > Gear Talk > F/S Henry Shires Tarptent Squall (one)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WhiteJacket

WhiteJacket
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 6:25 pm 
<------talking with better half about it nono.gif
prod.gif borank.gif crybaby.gif ...... down.gif shakehead.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 30, 2005 7:07 pm 
WhiteJacket wrote:
<------talking with better half about it nono.gif
Roger. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Jan 31, 2005 2:55 am 
Nice price... Does it have the extended front beak?

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Jan 31, 2005 2:58 am 
WhiteJacket wrote:
]<------talking with better half about it nono.gif
LOL, I know that discussion well! Don't give up, do you need us to come up with some really good reasons why you cannot live without that Squall?

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jan 31, 2005 9:34 am 
Hiker Boy wrote:
Nice price... Does it have the extended front beak?
No it does not. Hmm, I dont think so. Ill have to check. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dustin07

Dustin07
PostMon Jan 31, 2005 1:12 pm 
hmm, sounds very good. only used once right? What is the shipping to Seattle? zip is 98001.... if you still have it i'm very interested!

harinama

harinama
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 9:17 am 
used the squall last year on hikes. Bought all the bells/whistles-extended front beak, sewn in floor, and seam sealed the hell out of it. Overall it's a decent tent. pro's: superlight (like 1.5lbs) easy to setup waterproof in moderate rain(with proper seamsealing) stow hiking boots under front/rear beaks. cons: poor headroom often requires retightening at sunset/changes in humidity a bit tight for 2(very tight for 2+dog during downpour) condensation(bring a small pack towel) ventilation is rather poor(dont cook in the tent hehe) quality materials, but construction over the longterm is a concern requires staking(no pitching it on slickrock) single entrance(have to be careful entering around front pole) have to be super careful with the sharp objects(ie. mtn ice axes) requires seamsealer. So obviously there are tradeoffs to going with a superlight tent. For me, solo, it's perfect. Two of us it was tight but doable. so: reasons to give better half- WATERPROOF/LIGHT/EASY SETUP/COZY. hockeygrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 11:09 am 
harinama wrote:
used the squall last year on hikes. Bought all the bells/whistles-extended front beak, sewn in floor, and seam sealed the hell out of it. Overall it's a decent tent. pro's: superlight (like 1.5lbs) easy to setup waterproof in moderate rain(with proper seamsealing) stow hiking boots under front/rear beaks. cons: poor headroom often requires retightening at sunset/changes in humidity a bit tight for 2(very tight for 2+dog during downpour) condensation(bring a small pack towel) ventilation is rather poor(dont cook in the tent hehe) quality materials, but construction over the longterm is a concern requires staking(no pitching it on slickrock) single entrance(have to be careful entering around front pole) have to be super careful with the sharp objects(ie. mtn ice axes) requires seamsealer. So obviously there are tradeoffs to going with a superlight tent. For me, solo, it's perfect. Two of us it was tight but doable. so: reasons to give better half- WATERPROOF/LIGHT/EASY SETUP/COZY. hockeygrin.gif
I love it. Your cons outnumber your pros. Im trying to sell this tent. Thanks for nothing Fred. TB moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif

harinama

harinama
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 12:12 pm 
um, if by Fred, you mean me, I was only giving the prospective buyer info about the tent. While the con list is longer, the pros def. outweigh it(size/weight/waterproof) heck at $85 it's a steal! biggrin.gif Where was this when i bought mine last year for $235? lol