Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > DVD home theatre reviews/ info
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
frankm3

frankm3
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 9:07 am 
It's been years since I've really been 'into' stereo equipment, etc., and I'm looking to purchase a reasonably inexpensive DVD home theatre setup (less than $400). My preference was to minimize the hassles of accumulating a 'system', and to just basically be lazy and get a 'home theatre in a box' setup. Anyone know of a good website to get info/ reviews, etc. on these types of items? Any help appreciated! Frank

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 9:32 am 
The quick and dirtiest way is to see what Costco is selling then google the model number and check the hits on Can't, eopinions and user reviews on Amazon. The advantage of Costco is their prices are usually good, you can take it back no questions asked and they do not try to flog off a service contract on you. In my experience Panasonic usually provides good value. There are some Home Theater sites that are good but they specialize in components that are above your price range.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
frankm3

frankm3
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 9:49 am 
Hey Mal, Thanks! Honestly, I was looking at the user reviews at Amazon. I thought there might be a more 'scientific'/ better method to do this so I thought I'd ask. Having had NO stereo system of any kind for a number of years...probably anything I buy will be an improvement over what I've got now! I did find this Onkyo setup for about $300 or so which looks like it's good quality for the money- Onkyo system at Amazon.com I would still need to get a separate DVD player...mainly I was trying to avoid the hassles of assembling an entire system, and I could probably rationalize spending a little bit more than my budget...LOL Thanks again, I really don't know anyone to ask about all this!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 10:08 am 
You can get a perfectly fine Sony or Toshiba DVD player for $70 or so at Costco. I also have a Chinese cheapie I got at Fry's that can be hacked to play no regions. You want a progressive scan if you have a largescreen which must have a component input.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
gary

gary
PostWed Feb 09, 2005 10:59 am 
I'm not usually a fan of the "About" sites, but this one looks like pretty good info, although the review section is sparse. I'd sure try to get a listen to whatever box system you plan on buying. Some sound terrible, especially from the center speaker which is really important. If you have a decent TV and the resistance is the same, you might be able use the tv's speaker as a decent center channel. If your TV supports progressive scan, I'd be looking for that feature in the DVD player. Hard to beat 3 bills for a stereo receiver with surround sound, 5 speakers and a sub-woofer. But one thing that raises my brow with some boxed units is when they only have one input, like that Onkyo does. Do you still have a VCR you'd want to hookup in addition to a dvd player? Or an Xbox or PlayStation. Or an mp3 player and/or something like a Tivo. One input is going to be pretty limited. [edit] Oops, had to revise because I was looking at "digital inputs" on the spec sheet. The Onkyo unit does have additional audio inputs, which would be very important for me. [end edit] Too many choices; Pay cheap, buy twice...

frankm3

frankm3
PostFri Feb 11, 2005 3:14 pm 
Thanks for the advice Gary, much appreciated!!!

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Feb 11, 2005 10:39 pm 
If you're even the slightest bit geek-inclined, I'd recommend picking up a Phillips DVP-642. IMHO, it is by far the most capable player out there at a reasonable cost.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short