Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > if it makes you happy...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stuart

Stuart
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 6:13 pm 
Lately it has been repeatedly pointed out to me that I am a snob. Not just towards people. But Im also a music snob. A movie snob. A food snob. And the list seems to just go on. I enjoy motor racing alot. But even though there are lots of other entertaining series and classes, I'll only watch F1. Because it's the fastest. When we go out to nightclubs, I cannot let myself have a good time if they arent playing the music I want to hear. And I purposely avoid coworkers and associates I have nothing in common with. I dread having to ask them how their weekend was, when I secretly don't care. My friends ask to go hiking and backpacking with me. And it sounds like fun. But then I think about how nice it is to be alone. And having to be considerate of where my smoke goes when we stop for breaks (none of my friends smoke). And sharing my snacks and carrying their packs when they start to whine and yadda yadda yadda. My friends and girlfriend havent gotten fed up with me yet. But they do tease me about it. That might be their way of being polite. Either way, that's not important. See? That was a snobby thing to say. I cant help it. I know what I like and how I like it and I dont wanna be bothered by all that other nonesense. Is it so wrong to be snobby? I think theirs a stigmatism thats been built around the word snob and us snobs are getting a bum rap. I think we all have just a tiny bit of a snob in us. Embrace your inner snob. It's just another way of being choosey. Havent you ever said something like "I only eat cliff bars. Everything else is not the same."? Feel free to let your snob stories out (or tell me how Im an elitist jerk).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 6:29 pm 
"Never Give An Inch" But sometimes you need to nudge a touch. When my wife was sick with cancer, I had the chance to find out who my real friends where and had the chance to weed out a lot of people in my life. The triple B's I called them. Braggers, Bullshitters and Backstabbers. I don't miss them a bit. Now she's gone, I answer to no one, do what I please and when I want. My friends, true friends, know that and that's cool with them. Do what makes you happy and hopefully without offending others. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
termite
wildloaf

termite
wildloaf
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 6:30 pm 
Hiking fits in superbly with snobism and elitism. I have a love-hate relationship with snobby people. I always find myself wanting to post a troll when somebody says they have a secret lake on public land or they want to disembowel a person who uses flags on trails. Some of the most elite super-goody hikers live in between Olympic National Park and the Cascades, but they complain that the area is being loved to death and that they should close the wilderness, it is like a catch 22 feeding on itself. It is all captivating, I guess snobs keep me coming back to this site, so I can get inside the mind of the hiker snob. Thats what's on my mind, hopefully that wasn't too much of a thread drift...

"I seem to have lost my bearing."
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 6:43 pm 
Snob. Motor racing. uhh.gif Nuttin wrong with being snobby.

Karen

Karen
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 7:36 pm 
Stuart, you don't sound like an elitist to me. You sound like an individual who simply doesn't feel the need to follow the crowd or be PC. So it's not politically correct to smoke? Or you like different music or are choosy about food? Those are your decisions and your rights. I'm a non-smoker who used to ENJOY smoking and am not one of the anti-smoking folks. I have to laugh at some folks who will walk into a restaurant or bar and flee in terror at the mere hint of a wisp of tobacco smoke. I choose not to smoke not because I am an elitist or "better" but for health reasons but I enjoyed smoking immensely when that was a part of my life. I think it was Kierkegaard that came up with that wonderful quote, "The crowd is untruth" and closer to home, my dad who would ask me when as a teenager I tried to look like everybody else. He'd ask me, "If they all jumped off a cliff, would you jump off with them?" or "if everyone smeared cow-sh## in your hair, would you do it too?". However, I have to admit I am a bit of an "elitist" when it comes to spelling errors (including my own). Other than that, I try not to be judgmental and acknowledge that I also have the tendency to be a hypocrite (who doesn't?) but I continue to work on being a better (genuine) person -- not for anyone else or to "fit in" but for my own peace of mind. When I worked in offices as a secretary (ugh) I had a terrible time. I never fit in with the other gals in the office and gave up trying. Many of them talked about things I had no interest in -- recipes, kids, domestic stuff, what so-and-so was wearing, blah blah blah. I had the reputation of being a snob and was accosted once by a back stabbing co-worker who glared at me and said, "How come you never smile?" I answered, "I only smile when I mean it". I almost always had lunch alone or would take solitary walks but it was a preference. I didn't like them and they didn't like me and that was OK. My favorite job was when I worked as a permatemp for FIVE years in a room by myself (data entry) and listened to music all day long. Be yourself. If you try to be anyone else, you'll fail and make yourself (and others) pretty miserable. It sounds to me like you are on the right path. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
tofu on toast hiker
Santiago!

tofu on toast hiker
Santiago!
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 8:12 pm 
This is a good question. I think of all the kinds of racing, F1 would be the best. It is probably what interests me most even thought I don't watch it. However, other forms of racing are interesting for other reasons. If a stock car has to be created from stock parts (does it still, has it ever?) then that puts some interesting constraints on the race that can make it really exciting for someone who spends alot of time backyard mechanicing. Music: I have to admit being a little snobbish here myself. There are three kinds of songs for me. 1. music I like right off 2. music that I don't like because it makes me feel sad, fearfull, etc. (often I'll end up liking this type later on) 3. music I don't like because it doesn't seem like music to start with Alot of people I know like category 3 songs. I know a guy that works in a box making factory. He likes industrial music (go figure!). That's something I'll probably never develop a taste for. Other stuff I like better to listen to, ya see, no time for that! As far as the song "If It Makes You Happy", that song falls mostly into category 3 with a little bit of category 2. Sheryl has written better songs (IMHO). People: This is where I disagree. Most people have some very interesting element about them that you could talk about for quite awhile. Everyone has a unique perspective and its all pretty interesting. I may not like industrial techno music, but talking to the person who wrote it can be pretty interesting. I mean, what makes them tick? Why did they write something like that which I don't like. I want to know, you know?

T-O-F-U in the USA! T-O-F-U in the USA! Tofu in the USA!
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 8:18 pm 
Snob according to Webster - One who thinks that money and rank are very important, and has contempt for those he thinks inferior. So, Stuart, you are not a snob, perhaps insular but that makes you a great candidate for the advanced hiking and climbing community ! The cure would be to get married and have kids - you'll come back to earth. Then again, you may be a metrosexual. meet me this weekend for a creme brulei, let's go shopping and plan a dinner party for those stinkers, welfare mothers and imbeciles below us.

Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 8:20 pm 
I don't think being picky about your personal preferences is the same as being a snob. If you think less of someone who prefers the Zone bars instead, then you're a snob - correct, but still a snob smile.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 9:17 pm 
Stuart, what you're describing doesn't sound snobby to me at all. You sound like a guy who knows himself. The only time there's anything at all wrong with that is if you're knowledge of your own likes and dislikes walls you off from society. It doesn't sound like that's happened.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 10:44 pm 
Come on Girls, this guy is looking for some criticism, not a date. Let's say you're out on a date with a guy, say " Stuart ", you're sitting down to a meal and he hates the food, the waiter with the strong cologne and he has snickered at your shoes, incidently bought yesterday at Nordstrom. You try to lighten up the mood, " how about making a request for "mood Indigio", you whisper with a wink of the eye. "Stuart" just laughs his short reply, Heh, heh,heh... flicking his ashes in your cosmopolitan. He grunts, " U-2 baby " and squeezes your bottom. You think of that nice boy from the church group who asked you to the ice cream social and sincerely thought your bedhead hair was cute...what's he doing tonight ?

mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostWed Feb 16, 2005 10:46 pm 
i too get told i come across as snobby.. or that people think i act like i'm better than them... i just choose not to bother trying to please or associate with people i don't have anything in common with...(this also gets me the shy, quiet title, and people think i don't have any conversational skills... just because i don't want to waist my breath talking to them for pointless reasons.) humpy.gif

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 17, 2005 2:52 am 
Stuart, you sound like a person with high standards, but not a snob. If you were a snob, you would be constantly lording it over others due to your obvious (to you) superiority. Be glad you are not one of the easily amused hoi poloi, or you would be watching Desperate Idols, or The DC, or whatever the latest piece of morono-tainment that is all the current rage, instead of posting thoughtful and original messages here.

Stuart

Stuart
PostThu Feb 17, 2005 5:53 am 
Slugman wrote:
Be glad you are not one of the easily amused hoi poloi, or you would be watching Desperate Idols, or The DC, or whatever the latest piece of morono-tainment that is all the current rage, instead of posting thoughtful and original messages here.
Desperate Housewives is my guilty pleasure. embarassedlaugh.gif One could easily argue that Im easily amused by starting an attention seeking thread (not really, but it's looking that way) on a message board, instead of out hiking, alone. lol.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostThu Feb 17, 2005 8:38 am 
Karen wrote:
a back stabbing co-worker who glared at me and said, "How come you never smile?" I answered, "I only smile when I mean it".
Excellent. The sad thing about that is your co-worker prolly didn't get it.
marylou wrote:
I get a lot of grief for not liking everything.
Wait a minute. You mean there's stuff you do like? nerd.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Feb 17, 2005 8:47 am 
O jeez, what a bunch of agreeable weenies. This thread is no fun. Stuart, dammit, you're a snob. I'm a snob, too. A literature snob, a beer snob, and a music snob. Not so much a coffee snob, 'cause I'll drink whatever's available at the point of emergency, but will not drink whatever beer, read whatever, or listen to whatever. I feel my taste in these matters is superior to that of others. However, I do admire the taste of others who I feel have good taste; I secretly acknowledge that others have a superior taste over some things than do I, but thus far have been too lazy to hone mine any further, so stand humbled, but only unto myself 'cause I'll be damned if I'll let anyone know I admire him or her.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting