Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Rivers and Tides
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 20, 2005 8:58 pm 
Since Andy Goldsworthy's name just came up (in the "anti-christo thread" in a link by ree), I figured I would review the movie "Rivers and Tides", which is a documentary about his work. I just saw this movie for the first time today. This is one of the most interesting and captivating films I have ever seen. Mesmerizing, hauntingly beautiful, absolutely incredible. My Goldsworthy is perhaps the most talented artist I have ever encountered. His ability to see art in nature, and make man-made beauty out of the natural materials around him is unequaled to my knowledge. What he can do with a few icicles, or some sticks, or some plain, flat rocks is astounding. The movie itself is also a work of art. The music by Fred Frith is totally perfect. If you love nature or art or both, this is a must-see. Just looking at pictures of Goldsworthy's work doesn't do it justice.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSun Feb 20, 2005 9:41 pm 
I've heard good things about the film and look forward to viewing it, I believe it was up for an Academy Award nomination too. I knew it was about an artist who creates found art but didn't know his name. That sort of thing he does sounds more interesting to me at least than the Christos work. Thanks for the review.

hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 4:58 am 
I found the art amazing, but found the movie to be slightly (not incredibly) boring. I was a little tired though and that can make almost any movie boring to me for some reason. I think it would have been really cool on the big screen, but I rented it on dvd.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 10:10 am 
I second the high recommendation for this movie. It's one of the few films I paid full evening price to see and didn't feel cheated. Goldsworthy's work is just wonderful.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 2:00 pm 
HDTV would be perfect for this movie. It is at its best for movies like this one, or say Winged Migration. Anyone with HDTV willing to host a "Rivers and Tides" party? I'll bring the DVD and the popcorn! Yes, the movie is, shall we say, leisurely paced, but that was a big plus for me. If someone tells me a movie is a "non-stop rollercoaster ride", then I know to avoid it like the plague. But that's just me. I find Goldsworthy to be everything that many "modern artists" pretend to be but aren't. His art is very unusual, but is true art in my strict definition. To be true art to me, it must meet two criteria. #1, it must either be beautiful to look at or have a meaningful social message, one or the other, but both is better of course. #2, it must display technical mastery of the medium. So the guy who bolted a toilet to a wall to say that the traditional forms of art are crap is not a true artist to me. Yes, it had a message, so #1 is covered, but it was not the most excelently made toilet nor was it bolted to the wall in a masterly fashion. He had an idea, but no skills to display, so that is what I call "message art", a lower form of art than true art (to me). But Goldsworthy is a true master of his mediums. Watching him make ice sculptures by glueing the pieces together using water as glue under sub-freezing conditions showed an incredible mastery of the medium. And his rock-stacking sculptures would take a person a long time to learn how to duplicate, if they ever could. His ability to use natural materials found on site to construct his sculptures is truly unique. He is the hardest-working artist I have ever encountered. The staggering amount of detail work he is willing to do for a piece of art that is transitory in nature is astounding.