Forum Index > Gear Talk > water filter bottle..?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 7:09 pm 
does anyone use one of those water filter in a bottle type deals? i've seen them but never tried one till now... i was at wally world, and they had them clearenced out to a dollar!!! the new brand was in at 28 bucks a piece, and they wanted the old ones gone... they are this brand here.. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.asp?base_no=99714 says there good for 500 refills. its a true nalgene bottle with the new flip cap lid, so even if i take out the filter and throw it away, is a good deal... up.gif up.gif

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 8:39 pm 
I haven't seen that one, but some of the purifier bottles looked interesting ! wildernessed winksmile.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 8:40 pm 
I use an Aquamira one, been using it since 2002, and I haven't replaced the filter yet. Weighs 5 oz's too!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
mtngrl

mtngrl
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 8:55 pm 
I have a Bota Outback filter. Nice to take along on dayhikes, or when you aren't carrying another form of water purification.

Criminal

Criminal
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 11:31 pm 
The BX has the Katadyn version for $50, don't know if that's a good deal but there's no tax.

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 12:06 am 
I tried one of the more expensive ones and didn't like it at all. Water tastes like iodine, and doesn't come out very fast. That's just me though.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 3:30 am 
mtngrl wrote:
I have a Bota Outback filter. Nice to take along on dayhikes, or when you aren't carrying another form of water purification.
this fieldline company must be in cahoots with bota... the same pics on that website are on the bottle, the same nalgene bottle, and the filter looks identical...anyway, for a buck, its not bad,(i bought 6!!)....and the water tastes fine to me...the flow rate isnt that bad, i can squeeze it out pretty fast, or it will drip out on its own..

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
trinityalps

trinityalps
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 3:54 pm 
Exstream
I have been using the MacKenzie by Exstream for about two years. It is a purifier not a filter and eliminates Cryptosporidium and Giardia. The bottle weighs about 8 oz empty and holds 34 ounces. I have seen it for sale for about $40. The filter is advertised as being good for about 200 refills and it costs about $33.00 for a replacement filter package. I love mine. On solo hikes it is often the only filtering mechanism I bring. I use it for drinking water and boil my water for cooking. When I know where I am going and that there is water along the way, I don't bring my hydration system because I just scoop water along the way. It has never failed to work. Several friends have purchased one after watching it work on trips. It works for me and my trips.

"May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view..." Edward Abbey, "Benediction" www.jimkucharek.zenfolio.com
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 4:25 pm 
Wow, that McKenzie could work pretty well for what I do. I'll have to have a closer look.

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh