Forum Index > Gear Talk > I'm ready to roll
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 4:33 pm 
I made the committment last summer to get back into backpacking. I've opened the wallet and re-geared in the last couple of months. I now need to brag a little and get some reactions. Humor me for a moment please. Backpack - Go-Lite Speed Sleeping Bag - Go-Lite Feather (20*) Sleeping Pad - Big Agnes insolated Air Core REM mummy Tent - Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight It knocks a ton off of the weight (well, almost). I've taken them skiing into shelters and it carries like a dream. I can't wait to get on the trail as the season opens up. Happy Hinking up.gif

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 4:59 pm 
Looks good so far. Remember that the best gear for you is the gear you own and love. How are you doing on cooking stuff? Also, you might try hinking with poles, if you are not already doing so.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 5:10 pm 
Not a huge fan of golite myself. Not bad gear, but just seems like other lightweight manufacturers balance the lightweight / comfort equation better. SD Clip Flashlight too heavy for me. My staples: Pack: MS Ghost <2.5 lb Tent: Six Moon Designs Eurpoa II 2 lb Bag: WM Megalite 1.5 lb

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 5:11 pm 
Cool beans! You're gonna love that tent!

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 5:39 pm 
marylou wrote:
Looks good so far. Remember that the best gear for you is the gear you own and love. How are you doing on cooking stuff? Also, you might try hinking with poles, if you are not already doing so.
Glad you asked. I am presently using a small backpacing sterno stove and fuel tablets. Works great. I boil water in a 2 cup pan for both my coffee and my dehydrated meal. I am dehydrating my own meals and sealing them before throwing into the freezer. Strangely, my last two meals were not 'sealed' by the time I cooked. I seal a fresh ground Starbucks also. I just grab from the freezer and go anymore. I've always skiied with poles. Never hinked with poles. With some of the places I go and the age I am, it might be time to take a closer look. I just can't picture myself with poles in my hand all day. Tom, nice gear. I checked them out. Wish I had the sleeping bag zipper you have.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 6:49 pm 
If you are using a FoodVac to seal, be careful that the bag is laying very flat when you seal (especially if you have lumpy items). A little pucker can form, and that is what lets the air in slowly.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 8:10 pm 
Chief Paulina wrote:
...I've always skiied with poles. Never hinked with poles. With some of the places I go and the age I am, it might be time to take a closer look. I just can't picture myself with poles in my hand all day...
Here's a NWH dissertation on poles. With the pack, tent, bag, pad, cooking and poles out of the way, you'll probably be itching to get out on the trail. But you'll not want to leave home without studying this most important and exhaustive piece of NWHikers research.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostWed Feb 23, 2005 9:50 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
Chief Paulina wrote:
...I've always skiied with poles. Never hinked with poles. With some of the places I go and the age I am, it might be time to take a closer look. I just can't picture myself with poles in my hand all day...
Here's a NWH dissertation on poles. With the pack, tent, bag, pad, cooking and poles out of the way, you'll probably be itching to get out on the trail. But you'll not want to leave home without studying this most important and exhaustive piece of NWHikers research.
There's just sooooo much to learn. Boxers or Briefs. dizzy.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 12:39 am 
Sounds good. I like some of the Golite stuff. Here's my stuff. Pack Phantom Pack Speed Bag Highlite Bag Mightylite Tent Virga

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 2:30 am 
CP, Not too bad a selection. I think you should be happy with it. What sort of cooking pot are you using with your stove(s)? I sometimes take an Esbit or alcohol stove out with me but I still like my Markill Hotrod cannister stove for most of my warm trips. Thought about switching the Sterno for a popcan alcohol stove? My favorite gear I like to use: Kelty Flight 4500 pack (< 3lbs after removing some modular features) Hilleberg Akto tent (2lbs 14oz + using Ti pegs and tyvek footprint) WM Megalite bag (1.5Lbs) Prolite 3 regular pad (1lb 4oz)

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 7:08 am 
I've been studying stoves lately. Been thinking of building a popcan stove but wonder if it can compete with the Sterno, not to mention that I suck at aluminum construction. I'm also studying water filtration. Any thoughts? In the picture, I used a MtnHouse bag to seal the dehyd meal. They sure make a good package that stands up straight and ziplocks. I'm looking for ways to make freezer bags stand up straight and seal like that.
1Gear
1Gear

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 7:38 am 
CP, if all you are doing is boiling water, you might look into the Primus Tech tea kettle. They are pretty nift-and are very stable on alchol stoves. As for keeping your bag upright, you need a cozy! While the one I use is bulky, it is light. Marszit made me mine...and I love it. There are photos of it on the gear section of my freezerbag website.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 8:28 am 
I've used the sweet water guardian for years. I've liked it quite well. My buddy has a first need and ergonomically it is a pain to use, but perhaps bettter at geing more of the little blighters out.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Feb 24, 2005 9:47 am 
Chief Paulina wrote:
I've been studying stoves lately. Been thinking of building a popcan stove but wonder if it can compete with the Sterno, not to mention that I suck at aluminum construction.
I am not the most skillfull handyman and have still built several functional popcan stoves. All you need is some tin snips or good utility scissors, a small hole punch, a popcan, and some J&B weld, and you're all set. It would be interesting to see a comparison to Sterno...maybe I'll go out and buy a can and check it out. For filters I use a good old PUR(now Katadin) Hiker when I'm hiking with a group of people otherwise I just treat my water with Pristine (same as Aqua Mira) drops.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
robpatterson5

robpatterson5
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 4:30 pm 
I'd go with eithe Aqua-Mira or a MSR Miniworks filter. Both work great, but for some reson 99% of the time I reach for the MSR. Dont know if your intrested but I have a MSR Titan Kettle I'm looking to get rid of. PM me if your intrested. Cheers: Rob