Forum Index > Trip Reports > Icicle Creek Road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Mar 01, 2005 4:09 pm 
A trip report, as well as a heads up for the status of the Icicle Road. On Sunday, a couple of friends, my 7 year old and I parked at the 8-mile road, where the winter plowing stopped and the road is closed to all but snowmobiles, dog sleds, skiers and hikers. The 4 - 8 inch base on the road is in great shape for walking and skiing with only a few spots melted out to bare pavement. We hiked up 3 miles to the Johnny Creek Campground where we found a picnic table in the sun that was melted out and dry next to the river. Here's some news about the mountains that everybody knows already: Icicle Ridge looks like a typical June or July with snow only at the crest, as soon as you pull out of the valley bottom. If you don't mind the extra mile of road walking, 4th of July trail would be a clean shot to the ridgetop. Might try to do that next week before the rattlesnake at the half-mile mark gets active.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Mar 01, 2005 4:30 pm 
Hey, thanks for that. Looks like the Icicle will be a great spring destination this year!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Mar 01, 2005 5:07 pm 
marylou wrote:
Hey, thanks for that. Looks like the Icicle will be a great spring destination this year!
Hey M/L, I think that everywhere is going to be a great spring destination this year! TB doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Mar 01, 2005 5:17 pm 
Yes, but not everywhere is as crowded as the Icicle can be.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Mar 01, 2005 9:41 pm 
I was browsing and asking questions at The Leavenworth Ranger Station today, they will not ungate 8 mile road and clear the snow blockade at 8 miles section of Icicle Creek Rd. for at least a month they told me shakehead.gif , Oh well, I was already to Upper 8 mile Lake, Stuart Lake, Upper Snow Lakes, Colchuck Lake, Chatter Creek - Cape Horn and a few others this fall / winter. I have been looking at Icicle Ridge out of Icicle Creek Rd. or Rock Mountain for an upcoming backpack. wildernessed

Living in the Anthropocene
johncla

johncla
PostWed Mar 02, 2005 2:21 pm 
Never tried the quote thing before, hope I get it right. WRT to opening Icicle road in the spring, the previous couple years they've ungated it WELL in advance of the time you could actually drive in as far as Johnny Creek. They've got a new roads manager (since 1/1/04) and a new district ranger (since 1/1/05) so that may change. Hope not.
wildernessed wrote:
they will not ungate 8 mile road and clear the snow blockade at 8 miles section of Icicle Creek Rd. for at least a month

Joe S

Joe S
PostMon Mar 14, 2005 2:42 pm 
Icicle Road is open and drivable to beyond Johnny Creek campground. Bare and dry to 4th of July Trailhead, Some snow and ice around Johnny Creek. Eightmile road is mostly bare to the top of the grade but still gated. I expect it to be open soon. Got a telephoto shot across to the top of Icicle Ridge. Looking good up there.
Top of Icicle Ridge Mar 10, 05.
Top of Icicle Ridge Mar 10, 05.