Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. David Douglas OR
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
loofus
carpet bagger

loofus
carpet bagger
PostSat Mar 05, 2005 11:34 pm 
Found an old trail bushwhacking up the south side of Mt. David Douglas. Started from a truck escape ramp of of OR Hwy 58 about 10 miles NW of Willamette Pass. I ascended an unnamed creek east of Twin Creek to check out a long series of unmapped waterfalls. I kept crossing a wide trail that I assumed was a heavily-used elk trail (moolack are abundant in the Salt Creek Drainage) until I found an old erosion-control implement. This was obviously a maintained hiking trail at some point. I know the old Verdun trailhead was located at the escape ramp where I started hiking, but I don't have any information about its route. As far as I know, the trail has been out of service for over 30 years. I'd like to think that I stumbled onto a little piece of hiking history. I know that most of you are Washington folk, but if anybody knows anything about this old trail, I would greatly appreciate any piece of info. Supposedly there is an old trail west of here that runs along Eagle Creek on the north side of Mt. David Douglas. I've heard it is still in passable shape. Too bad none of these old trails are still on USGS quads. Hike was great. Weather was clear and warm and Small-Flowered Blue-Eyed Mary was beginning to bloom. I ascended the unnamed creek for about 1000 feet, traversed west, and descended Twin Creek. Both streams are tiny, but there are plenty of nice waterfalls and smooth-rock slides on both. It was nice to lounge in a small, fern and moss-laden cleft at the base of a 40-foot waterfall, letting the sun beat down through the trees as I enjoyed several cups of cowboy coffee. Another perfect Saturday afternoon. Not hearing a human voice for four hours is priceless.
20-foot falls near old trail
20-foot falls near old trail
Middle tier of first waterfall encountered
Middle tier of first waterfall encountered
Upper tier of 60-footer
Upper tier of 60-footer

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
WTCrocker

WTCrocker
PostMon Mar 07, 2005 11:03 am 
That hike has been on my to-do list for 30 years. In a former life I was a smoke chaser on that Ranger District. I just happen to have a scan of a 15' series topo, c. 1950.

This the year!!
loofus
carpet bagger

loofus
carpet bagger
PostMon Mar 07, 2005 11:14 am 
Thanks for the info WT. I guess I wasn't really anywhere near Verdun Way, so the trail I stumbled onto is still a mystery. This old map is a treasure, though. I think a loop around Eagle Creek and up through Hell's Half Acre might be a priority this summer. I've really taken a likin' to this general area.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.