Forum Index > Trip Reports > Marten Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostSat Mar 12, 2005 8:23 pm 
Took a group of my Boy Scouts up to Marten Lake today. Having not been up there for 25+ years impacted my ability to follow the trail. My desire to always go up greatly affected our ability to stay on the correct trail. The "trail" was in pretty good shape, minimal mud, only a few patches of snow right at the lake. The Lake was still frozen enough for 90+ pound stupid scouts who don't listen to their leader to go out on the ice. Overall this was a great trip, next time I should be able to stay on the correct trail.
Scouts Marten 019
Scouts Marten 019

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSun Mar 13, 2005 7:54 pm 
It is amazing how little snow is up there. smile.gif

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostMon Mar 14, 2005 8:10 am 
If this is the Marten Lake off MF, I know what you mean. Me and Clyde went off by going around the big boulder instead of shooting right. We thrashed thru the alder all the way up to the rocks. It seemed other people go that way to, which throws you off.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostMon Mar 14, 2005 8:28 am 
This is Marten Lake up the MF. My rule "when in doubt go uphill" seems to have got me in trouble. The slide alders above the big rock get pretty bad. When the trail ran out I started heading my group back towards the trees and found the real trail. I was expecting there to be more snow since this is on the North side of the slope.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Mar 14, 2005 8:43 pm 
Grinch wrote:
This is Marten Lake up the MF. My rule "when in doubt go uphill" seems to have got me in trouble. The slide alders above the big rock get pretty bad. When the trail ran out I started heading my group back towards the trees and found the real trail. I was expecting there to be more snow since this is on the North side of the slope.
Come on guys, get it right. It's the Marten lake up the TAYLOR! TB moon.gif lol.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dante

Dante
PostTue Mar 15, 2005 9:24 am 
Backpacker (Chumley) Joe wrote:
Grinch wrote:
Come on guys, get it right. It's the Marten lake up the TAYLOR! TB moon.gif lol.gif
Oh don't be such a stickler - you have to go up the Middle Fork to get to the Taylor smile.gif