Forum Index > Trip Reports > Iron Mountain, 4560'+, SW of Darrington, USGS Helena Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fred Beavon

Fred Beavon
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 8:57 am 
This is the second lowest of the eight Iron Mountains in Washington. There's also an Iron Peak and Mary Sutliff's Teanaway Country book describes "Iron Bear", 5489', above Iron Bear Pass on the Liberty quad. Two of those I still haven't done. Reaching this one is easy. Drive south of Darrington to Road #2070 and turn right. At elevation 2273', turn right again and drive 2.5 more miles to an overgrown spur road on the left and park. This road appears quite brushy and unappealing to start but it clears right up and soon ends. The objective ridge is obvious to the south, unless there's fog like I had, but it fortunately disappeared later in the day. The old clearcut to the ridge isn't too bad and soon one is in old growth that leads to the summit, with views east to Pugh and north to Baker and Shuksan. The ridge was so pleasant I continued in snow to the south summit at the same 4560+ contour, but altimeters show it is lower. Snowshoes and ice axes are unneeded. There isn't enough snow, though gaiters were helpful. To the west are views of Voodoo Peak, Helena Peak and farther south, Devils Peak and Devils Thumb. Remnants of the old trail along Helena Ridge and Iron Mountain from Pass Lake to the mouth of Clear Creek, constructed within 1933-1936 according to Monte Cristo Area: A Complete Outdoor Guide, were visible. The descent with Jumbo Mountain across the valley and Darrington in the distance only took an hour so this is a very quick trip. I ate my lunch on the drive home. 4/26/05

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 4:47 pm 
up.gif

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
phiberoptiK

phiberoptiK
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 8:29 pm 
Hey, how much snow is up around that area right now, Ive been itchin to get out around the North lake area but have been scared away by too much snow

Fred Beavon

Fred Beavon
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 8:46 pm 
Amount of snow
On the ridge, there was an average of about a foot of snow. Some places more, other places less, even some bare ground. Mostly I sunk in only 6 inches. My brother though, who did Devils Peak and Devils Thumb, in the same vicinity, said he wallowed in the snow.