Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eagle Peak - Tatoosh Range - 4/27/2005
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 1:11 pm 
Directions for this hike can be found in many hiking books... definitely pay attention to the directions because we didn't... drove at least 2 miles past the "community building" before we decided to read the directions again... returned to the community building, parked the car, and proceeded a few hundred yards back up the road and found the trailhead very close to the suspension bridge that crosses the Nisqually River at Longmire... Encountered snow a quarter mile prior to the first view of the saddle between Chulta and Wahpenayo Peaks... donned the snowshoes (critical to the success of this trip for us) and proceeded to the Eagle/Chulta saddle... caught our breath, abandoned the poles and snowshoes, and headed for the summit with ice ax and determination... Worked our way around the west side of the peak, first gaining, then losing approximately 50 feet of elevation and found the benches that lead to the false summit... in the summer it is a simple stroll from the false summit to the true summit; however, on this trip there was pyramid-shaped snow between the false summit and the true one... we dropped 30 feet on the west side of the peak and easily reached the summit... The hiking books say that the views from the Eagle/Chulta saddle are just as good as the views from the summit... I can only assume that the people who wrote the books were there on a foggy day. The Tatoosh Range from Eagle Peak

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 2:47 pm 
Thanks for the trip report -- looks like you had good views indeed! Welcome to the forums! Hoping to see more TRs from you in the future! Re: the pano...did you use the stitching software that comes with the Canon cameras? It seems to have a lot of those kind of blurry / distortions at the seams...I'd highly recommend Autostitcher instead... Good luck!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 4:24 pm 
Autostitch is pretty nice...
Autostitch is pretty nice and appears to be better than the stitch software that came with my Canon... compare the picture below to the one in my original post... I notice most of the difference in the sky, where the original shows the stitch lines and the autostitch version doesn't... using Autostitch I changed a couple of options before starting the stitch process... I set the output size to 100% and changed the jpeg quality from 75 to 80... it took 7 minutes to complete the stitch process and appeared to utilize much more system memory than the default option of 25%... I definitely like the price (free) of Autostitch and will start using it. Thanks for the tip. Autostitch version of my picture

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
pequod
Freakin armature

pequod
Freakin armature
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 4:46 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Re: the pano...did you use the stitching software that comes with the Canon cameras? It seems to have a lot of those kind of blurry / distortions at the seams...I'd highly recommend Autostitcher instead...
My cup runneth over! I apologize for the thread drift, but I wanted to express my gratitude to Dayhike Mike borank.gif for pointing out the autostitch software. I use an alternative operating system and there is a distinct lack of stitching software for it. Stitching images required booting a windows box or running VMWare which can be aggravating (windows) or time consuming (windows and VMWare). I can run autostitch in wine and get results quickly. Now if I could learn to take better pictures.... Nice report and pic ragman and rodman.

Сильно как бык, франтовской как трактор
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 6:06 pm 
Not a problem guys...happy to help! The other thing I like about Autostitch is the fact that you can just throw images at it and it does a great job of pulling them all together.... Enjoy!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 8:03 pm 
Bomber ! wildernessed dell.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
phillyjon

phillyjon
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 5:51 am 
ragman and rodman wrote:
The hiking books say that the views from the Eagle/Chulta saddle are just as good as the views from the summit... I can only assume that the people who wrote the books were there on a foggy day.
__________________________________________________ I believe they try to discourage inexperienced people from going for the summit. I hear there is a hairy, exposed shelf, or ledge, or something.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
justybug
henteaser

justybug
henteaser
PostTue Jul 04, 2006 12:19 pm 
thanks for the autostitch link, that is soooo much easier than PS'ing everything! nice pics btw..

kenya believe it?? "Time is so everything doesn't happen at once. Space is so everything doesn't happen to you."