Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > East Lake Sammamish trail is a go!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon May 16, 2005 10:23 am 
No one's trying to screw anyone! That's paranoia talking again. It's a trail for the good of the community. That's all there is to it. It's a case of someone wishing to get away from the city crowds, but due to passage of time, the urban life is encroaching. It's a shake of the head and a "tsk, tsk, tsk," but that's progress. As has been said repeatedly; the desire to make that prtion of the property not belonging to them in the first place into a trail is not a secret, never was.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
solohiker

solohiker
PostMon May 16, 2005 10:33 am 
Tom where was it said that we should take pleasure in screwing these people? To the contrary, the point I tried to make was that when they look at the bigger picture they won't even think of themselves as being screwed. They, too can use the path, while we will no more be allowed access to their private beach than we are now. The other point is that they are not unique in their position, since chains of paths connecting neighborhoods (and encroaching somewhat on privacy) exists all throughout the country - (and hey, even in Europe and Asia). The ones that have required controversy before going up, are ones that are adjacent to expensive properties. I haven't done my homework, but I'd be surprised to find if there was data to support that home values actually went down after the controversial trail system was in place. It's really much ado about nothing.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 16, 2005 10:59 am 
Solohiker, I wasn't replying to you. I was responding to Quark's social commentary and vision for desireable (sic) real estate locales.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 16, 2005 5:55 pm 
Tom wrote:
This is no more unfounded hysteria here than DUSEL. What it comes down to is these folks don't want a bike trail cutting thru their back yard and driveway. I would probably fight it too if it was me. Of course, it's gratifying to screw these folks since they have money, and burgular alarms, gasp! If there's a disappointing social commentary here, that's probably it.
No kidding. The presumptions and attacks on people who dare to oppose increased traffic right through their yards is pretty out there. What did those who want this trail give up to get it? Will THEY have people crossing their back yards? nope. some folks want a nice bike ride, and by golly if that means a few hundred or a few thousand have people riding through their yards, well that's just tough. I lived on a right of way, and yes I knew it when I bought it, but what I didn't know was how many people figure that means everything on both sides is free to use as well. We continually had people on our property, leaving garbage and messing with our animals. I love this "good of the community" stuff, it's real easy when it's someone elses headache.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 16, 2005 6:00 pm 
Quote:
To the contrary, the point I tried to make was that when they look at the bigger picture they won't even think of themselves as being screwed. They, too can use the path, while we will no more be allowed access to their private beach than we are now.
which part of the bigger picture they're supposed to like, is a vast increase in the number of people going right past their place, and an increase in trespassing off of the right of way? These folks need to take legal action to whoever authorized this, to pay for mitigation of noise and trespassing.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 16, 2005 6:02 pm 
As I said before, none of you would want this happening to you. This isnt "near" peoples homes it's in the middle of many of these homes. Railroad tracks that arent used is one thing. Strangers traveling through your property is quite another. B.S..

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 16, 2005 6:03 pm 
Quote:
As has been said repeatedly; the desire to make that prtion of the property not belonging to them in the first place into a trail is not a secret, never was.
what about the homeowners who purchased before the trail plan existed? Are you telling me there's no difference between knowing about an unused RR right of way, and knowing somehow that sometime in the future someone will try to turn it into a trail? "good of the community". I'd do a search on the number of times that has justified all kinds of really low stuff, but that's straying beyond the already thin limits here. I'll stick to.... generic and so broad as to be a useless argument meaning nothing. A truism which isn't.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 16, 2005 7:16 pm 
shakehead.gif Don't Cry for Me Argentina shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 16, 2005 7:32 pm 
your concern for those you ride roughshod over is touching.

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon May 16, 2005 7:40 pm 
What about this one?
Quote:
King County has entered into exclusive negotiations with BNSF Railway to buy a 47-mile rail corridor stretching from Renton to Snohomish County for use as a trail. ... If a deal were struck, King County would acquire the corridor through "railbanking," in which railroads sell, lease or donate rights of way on routes they no longer operate to private organizations or local governments for use as trails. The corridors are often sold at reduced rates, sometimes at below market value, in exchange for a tax deduction for the railroad. While the routes are then converted to trails, they can be returned to mass-transportation use in the future.
Seattle Times link Note if this goes through it will put the Spirit of Washington dinner train out of business.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 16, 2005 7:49 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
your concern for those you ride roughshod over is touching.
Thanks!! winksmile.gif I hardly see how being exposed to the hoi polli riding jogging or walking by is much of a burden where there one were cinder belching smelly locomotives. The county purchased the land fair and square and thy had their chance in court to fight it C'est la vie.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon May 16, 2005 8:27 pm 
The only way I can see around this is to route the few short sections of trail that go through peoples backyards up to East Lake Sam Parkway and let the pedestrians and bikers brave the traffic from there

D'Airy Queen

D'Airy Queen
PostMon May 16, 2005 8:34 pm 
Having a moat around one's home does have its advantages!

Ta ta, time to feed the alligators.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 16, 2005 9:14 pm 
Quote:
hardly see how being exposed to the hoi polli riding jogging or walking by is much of a burden where there one were cinder belching smelly locomotives.
now we're comparing what no longer runs those rails to what will use them, in order to argue what doesn't exist being worse than will?
Quote:
The county purchased the land fair and square and thy had their chance in court to fight it C'est la vie.
Was the purchase fair and square? Or was the RR holding it threatened legally into selling? If they RR was seeking to sell it and the county bought it, that's one thing.... if the county said sell or we'll take it, that's quite another.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue May 17, 2005 12:43 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
These folks need to take legal action to whoever authorized this, to pay for mitigation of noise and trespassing.
Railbanking was authorized by the US congress. Good luck with that lawsuit. lol.gif I think all mitigation efforts should be reduced by the amount of money spent by the county fighting the frivolous lawsuits.