Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > East Lake Sammamish trail is a go!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 17, 2005 1:57 am 
so authorization of railbanking means those affected by it must eat all costs resulting from it? Is this in the statute? I doubt it. This places an interesting light on your respect for those who disagree with you concerning impacts to their property. If you don't like their reasons, does that make it "frivolous"? Just when is it the people who act for the "benefit of the community" should bear the costs they impose on those they are acting against? You want the trail, so they should pay the costs? You seem very willing to support them sacrificing for the trail you want, what do *you* sacrifice in getting it? Looks pretty one sided to me. Take heart, now that you've defined this as a situation of "frivolous" lawsuits, I look forward to keeping an eye peeled for your thinking on similar lawsuits! hockeygrin.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 17, 2005 1:59 am 
peppersteak'n'ale wrote:
The only way I can see around this is to route the few short sections of trail that go through peoples backyards up to East Lake Sam Parkway and let the pedestrians and bikers brave the traffic from there
I can see a better way. Give the property to the owners of those homes effected. Thats the best way.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue May 17, 2005 2:03 am 
Heck, even I wouldn't go that far, the property in question has value and if there was a transfer as you suggest, i'd want to see that homeowners pay the county fair market value. after all, it's still property and giving it to homeowners at county expense is just as unacceptable as transferral of private property and the private owners expense.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
greg

greg
PostTue May 17, 2005 6:49 am 
Funny all the people on "nwhikers.net" who are against a trail...

Damian

Damian
PostTue May 17, 2005 9:25 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
so authorization of railbanking means those affected by it must eat all costs resulting from it? Is this in the statute? I doubt it.
Are you suggesting that property owners affected by the trail are eating all costs resulting from it? You will never be able to accurately quantify these costs, or the (more likely IMHO) increases in property values. If it were sufficiently proven that the trail required specific improvements to adjacent properties then the owners should be reimbursed. If there is a new set-back that impacts property owners, they should be paid for it. Reimbursing property owners for speculative property value changes is nonsense. They can't be proven. Property value impacts, both positive and negative, would not be distinguishable from the normal market noise. I personally would pay more for property with direct access to such an outstanding asset. So would many others, especially families. These trails are an enormous benefit for society. Clearly, some don't agree with this and would choose not to live next to the new trail, including some exsiting adjacent property owners. Investment values fluctuate in response to any number of market and environmental factors. I wish I could be reimbursed any time someone out there does something that negatively affects the value of a stock I own. After all, why should I take a loss on my investment as a result of someone else’s action?

aestivate

aestivate
PostTue May 17, 2005 11:23 am 
greg wrote:
Not all that many. Just two, who feel deeply the pain of rich nimby waterfront property owners, and who also feel deeply that they must have the last word..

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 17, 2005 11:34 am 
greg wrote:
Funny all the hikers on nwhikers.net who are against access to existing trailheads. Touche. I prefer to think things thru instead of giving blanket supporting to something just because someone says it's good for hikers. BTW, I'm not against this trail. But I have hiked portions of it and my hiking rating is zzzzzzzz. This is going to be a great bike trail though. I'm sure nwbikers.net is ecstatic.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 17, 2005 11:48 am 
aestivate wrote:
Just two, who feel deeply the pain of rich nimby waterfront property owners
Again, this is the type of justification that concerned me above - "screw them because they are rich." This is not relevant IMO.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 17, 2005 11:53 am 
Tom wrote:
But I have hiked portions of it and my hiking rating is zzzzzzzz. This is going to be a great bike trail though. I'm sure nwbikers.net is ecstatic.
You are really comparing Apples to Canadians there, it is an urban trail that will presumably be used by locals for biking exercise and perhaps commuting. In comparison, I would rate the views better than the Burke Gilman and comparable to the Sammamish Trail. It certainly is not comparable to the Wonderland or John Muir. It will be very popular with families not the hard core who run up the Pipeline with 75lb packs to train for ferrying loads on K2 or the like. I kind of doubt if the BBTC or Cascade Bike Club is very ecstatic about it to flat for one and too many walkers for the other.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 17, 2005 11:59 am 
I seriously doubt many families will be hiking by the homes in dispute. Bikers will be the primary users of these sections of trail, not necessarily hikers, and that was my point.

greg

greg
PostTue May 17, 2005 12:06 pm 
Tom, all kinds of people will use that trail, walkers, joggers, skaters, bikers. These are all good and healthy uses of public land. Look at the existing Sammamish Valley Trail on a sunny Saturday. And I can categorically state I am not opposed to access to any trailhead. The plan I believe you're referring to does not close access to any trailhead or any trail anywhere at any time.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 17, 2005 12:12 pm 
greg wrote:
Tom, all kinds of people will use that trail, walkers, joggers, skaters, bikers.
Skaters? So they are going to pave it?

greg

greg
PostTue May 17, 2005 12:16 pm 
I think that is in the plan yes, but might be mistaken.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue May 17, 2005 12:56 pm 
The lawsuit was frivolous because it was pointless and doomed to failure from the very beginning. See, funny thing is, if you have no legal basis for your claim, no legal grounds to stand on, when you're fighting something perfectly legal, it's frivolous. Duh. I notice that Mtn Goat assigns a false motive to me for my claim of frivolity. He says I think it's frivolous just because I don't agree with it. Funny how in all the world, only Mtn Goat can read minds. Unfortunately he reads them wrong. He'd be a better debater if he stuck to making his own points, instead of trying to falsify the points of other people to fit his agenda. But I guess when your 100% in the wrong, making up false points to argue against is your only hope. shakehead.gif Then he "threatens" to hold me to his own fantasy of my motive in the future on the subject of frivolous lawsuits. Amazing. Tom, who exactly is it that is asking for closing off access to existing trailheads? (plural). If you mean the Midlle fork road (just one trailhead), and the position of people like me, you are mistaken. We want the road fixed, not closed. We also must choose between the options presented, so some of us are choosing the lesser of several evils, that is, fix it to Dingford and then close it there. I can't recall a single person's post who said they'd rather see it closed than fixed to the end.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue May 17, 2005 1:44 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Tom, who exactly is it that is asking for closing off access to existing trailheads? (plural).
Slugman, I was responding to greg who stated his preferences here, here, and here regarding MFK trailhead access. He is entitled to his opinion. I have no doubt there are others at nwhikers.net who share his view, just as there are others who don't. Unfortunately, these are not black or white issues. They cannot be reduced to "you are either for us or against us" ala "funny all the people on "nwhikers.net" who are against a trail...."