Forum Index > Trail Talk > Top 3 intro hikes to the Glacier Peak area?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 1:38 pm 
You can't help it, after all, you're blonde. clown.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 3:55 pm 
I'll throw my 2 cents in for Poe Mountain. Done it both ways, from the bottom, 3,000 ft. in 3 miles or the ridge approach from the east, which is a much more interesting trail with views. For a real challenging long day hike, go up from the bottom at the end of the Little Wenatchee Road, upon reaching the ridge follow the old tread out on Poet Ridge all the way to just above Meander Meadow, find the best way to drop down and return to your vehicle on the Little Wenatchee Trail. There are a few tricky spots where tread is lost and especially beyond the stagnant tarn where you need to flip over from the Little Wenatchee side to the Mt Whitter side, lest you run into some cliff bands. Take water and choose good weather when you can see virtually your whole route once on top or it's hardly worth it.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 4:17 pm 
White Pass Mt David Buck Creek Pass or Chiwawa Basin or Spider Meadows (counts as one because it's a run on sentence fragment) Ditto on the Poet - Meander high route, we did it from the other direction (N -S) which was nice because you just descend to your car at the end. Yes, bring a lot of water because that pond mentioned is the only water we saw as well.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
TranquilDude

TranquilDude
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 4:55 pm 
Are any of these hikes good for some backpacking in the next couple of weeks? I could use some suggestions on places to go. Preferably without snow. Thanks. cool.gif

gj

gj
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 6:37 pm 
Tranq, it's the other direction from Glacier Peak, but Thurs-Sun I backpacked from Ozette to Rialto Beach on Olympic National Park's wilderness coast, and it was awesome. Sunny the whole time, but cold at night.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 7:22 pm 
Quark wrote:
Too dumb to come in out of the rain.....I loose more hiking partners that way.....
Wow. Full moon must be out tonight. Here's a second misuse of "loose" on the forums in less than a day. wink.gif And it's misused here by a professed grammarian, no less. hockeygrin.gif Yeah, yeah, I know. "If I don't have anything to contribute..." I'll just go crawl back under the bridge. moon.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Mount Logan
Canada's Highest

Mount Logan
Canada's Highest
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 7:38 pm 
My only forays into the Glacier Peak Wilderness have been multiple trips to the Jordan Lakes and one trip to "Retard" Lake. The Jordan Lakes were better fishing (especially upper Jordan), but the terrain and scenery going into "Retard" were splendid!

strider

strider
PostFri Feb 25, 2005 10:57 pm 
Not an "intro" hike perhaps, due to the kick-your-ass first day, but .... Look at Lime Ridge on the topos. Lime Ridge runs NW down off of Glacier Peak. It is the West side wall of the upper Suiattle / Milk Creek valley. A mile up the Suiattle trail, after you cross the river, strike out West to the edge of the valley floor and work a bit, you will find the fisherman's trail up to Box Mt. Lakes. The trial is UP, 3400+ up in just over a mile, no switches. Once you're up there, it's x/c on way trails going South towards the mountain, thru meadows, past a string of amazing lakes, with very cool ridgepoints (like Lime Mt., 6900 ft or so) to scramble. An amazing place.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Feb 26, 2005 10:06 am 
strider wrote:
A mile up the Suiattle trail, after you cross the river, strike out West to the edge of the valley floor and work a bit, you will find the fisherman's trail up to Box Mt. Lakes. The trial is UP, 3400+ up in just over a mile, no switches. Once you're up there, it's x/c on way trails going South towards the mountain, thru meadows, past a string of amazing lakes, with very cool ridgepoints (like Lime Mt., 6900 ft or so) to scramble. An amazing place.
I know that trail. That thing's more of a skid mark than a trail. An easier (longer) way to Lime Ridge is to take the PCT to Mica Lake and pick your way out to the ridge. Extra credit if you can actually get to the shores of Mica Lake without jumping. Tranquil Dude, you might be able to hike along Downey Creek and Milk Creek right now. From Milk Creek you can hit the PCT and head as far as the snow level will let you. Most of the ridges and passes are still going to be snowed in or icy as all get out right now. You can also hike aways along the North Fork Skykomish - there's some great forest through there. Dickerman is accessible right now - just watch the avalanche gullies. Blanca Lake you can get to, but the route down from Virgin Lake to Blanca gets tricky in the snow, and you will want your ice axe and maybe crampons in spots if the slope is still snowed in. Don't bother with Meander Meadows or Green Mountain till the flowers start blooming - the meadows along those 2 hikes are truly stunning.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
TranquilDude

TranquilDude
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 3:02 pm 
My buddy won't take the ferry, the bum. Peninsula is too far. rolleyes.gif We've been doing some hiking and really want to avoid the snow when we do a backpack, if we can...